Brewer Fanatic

5/1/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cubs (Zambrano): 1:20 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
The Cubs outscore the Brewers 29-16 and lose the series. Wee!!1!
I'm wondering if you still think Marmol pitched the most crucial part of the game?

I think he pitched the most important part of the game. The game was set up perfectly for Wood to come in and face the bottom of the order. Just because Wood failed doesn't mean Marmol wasn't thrown in the right spot. Maybe Howry should be pitching the 9th. Or maybe Wood will be fine in that role. Who knows?

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cubs outscore the Brewers 29-16 and lose the series. Wee!!1!
I'm wondering if you still think Marmol pitched the most crucial part of the game?

Well, odds are if they had saved Marmol for the "save" there wouldn't have been a lead to protect. He shut the door in the seventh and owned the Brewers' top hitters in the eighth, so hard to argue that IMO.

Can someone please explain the Braun/Beer incident to me? When and what happened?

Braun was chasing down a double hit into the left field wall right by the foul line, and a couple cups of beer came pouring down on him and they threw the cups also... Stay classy Cubs fans

It's a bit earlier in the season, and certainly not quite as dramatic...but does this remind any at all of the Brewers/Cubs game from last year when the Brewers blew an early 5-0 lead and Aramis Ramirez hit a walkoff 2 run, 2 out shot against CoCo?? It was a huge two game swing in the standings, and the Cubs seemed to be on a really hot streak the rest of the season.

Granted, it's only May 1, but this just seems like a similar game. One team basically counting the W already, then a devastating loss and a huge upswing for the other team (in the Brewers favor though).

just got home from the game and am running through the video on my DVR. Man, what a finish. The air was sucked out of that park...but I guess it makes up for that game last year when Ramirez hit that bomb to win the game. I still have nightmares about that game.

Today's observations:

- Marmol threw great, but they have to go with Wood in the 9th no matter what.

- I don't know why they sent two runners home for outs during the game (Fielder and Weeks). The Fielder/Soto collision looked awesome in person, but he was a sitting duck.

- If you thought The Gallardo/Johson tangle-up looked terrible on TV, it looked a lot worse live.

- Uecker's reception during the stretch wasn't as hostile as last year...I think.

- Maybe it was the section I was in, but the fans weren't that obnoxious...except for the dude who bought the ticket I handed to the Streetwise vendor.

- Gagne still makes me nervous.

- On my way home, a fan was complaining that the Cubs should have pulled Soriano late in the game. I sort of see where he was going with that but they had to stick with him. The lesson here is that every fan has a gripe.

I listened to some cubs radio post-game, they played Lou Piniella's press conference, well it didn't take long as he stormed off after the 3rd/4th question which was "Did you think about pulling Soriano for Johnson?" response from Lou "Of course I did! Do you think I am stupid! God da**...darn it!" Then he stormed off.

Verified Member
The cub nation must absolutely detest Ryan Braun. Yet right this minute, I don't care one bit. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

At this minute? You mean you actually care what they think about our players at other minutes? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Community Moderator

I'm amazed by how much Cubs fans hate Braun. Why, because he's good?

Throwing beer at an opposing player is just garbage, I hope they at least throw those losers out of the game when that stuff happens.

Ned should have pulled Yo, there's no reason to mess with that young man.

GREAT win, 2 of 3 at Wrigley - TWICE!

Can anyone post Uecker's call of the game ending DP? Not sure if this is possible or not but I would LOVE to hear it!

Here's a link to the Brewers Radio Network. You can hear Jim Powell's post game show, as well as, listen to Uecker sing "Take me out the ballgame" at today's game!

http://www.sportsbubbler.com/Default.aspx?Team=1

This was an awesome game to listen to at work. I have been designated Brewers guru so I have to keep all of my co-workers updated on the goings on, lol.

Games like this really decrease productivity, though. LOL

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I just saw the Braun/beer outfield play. Man that's bush league.

Looked like a couple of people threw stuff. Beer and food.

Did you notice right before that, they were chanting "Braun you suck"?

(Sorry if this has been said, I didn't read all 621 posts today.)

Braun: 7-13, 3-2b, HR, 7 RBI, plus the series winning hit in the 9th.

I imagine Braun getting fired up to play the ScRubs for a long time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was at the game tonight sitting in the same section that Bartman did. For some reason the bleacher crowd was giving it to Braun tonight -although it wasn't all that bad - but when he threw out that dude at home via the relay everyone sat down....except me.

I'm drunk...shut up.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member
Can anyone post Uecker's call of the game ending DP? Not sure if this is possible or not but I would LOVE to hear it!

Here's a link to the Brewers Radio Network. You can hear Jim Powell's post game show, as well as, listen to Uecker sing "Take me out the ballgame" at today's game!

http://www.sportsbubbler.com/Default.aspx?Team=1

If you subscribe to the radio broadcasts on MLB.com, you can also access complete archived game audio. I listened to Uecker's call of the 9th inning last night. Good times.

Archived