Brewer Fanatic

PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360

Point Beer Is Best
With the PS3, don't you get to play online for free, whereas with the 360 you have to pay for a service?
Yes, but the fee for the 360 is actually pretty minimal. Between $3-$4 a month. If you look around a bit you can fins 12+1 month cards on sale in stores. It is normally $50 if you just renew through Xbox, but I would never do that when I can pay the same and get an extra month free.

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-live-12-month-gold-subscription-card-free-1-month-bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I played MLB 2K8 a little on the Wii. You have to flick the Wiimote for every pitch and swing.

That really sucks. Is there any way around this?

There were valid complaints about the lack of games for the Wii for the first year or so, but they are now starting to churn out some good stuff to play on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks for weighing in (& to everyone). I just don't want to get trapped with the novelty of the Wiimote, but I think the system itself is a fine one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I played MLB 2K8 a little on the Wii. You have to flick the Wiimote for every pitch and swing.

That really sucks. Is there any way around this?

Sorry, I am not sure. I don't think so, but it was only a rental and I didn't get that deep into it.

I blame Wang.

A PS3 question for those in the know. What is the difference in the 40 gig PS3 ($400) and the 80 gig ($500) ? I keep hearing that the 80 gig is "mostly" reverse compatible for PS2 games. 1) ? Mostly compatable. What games aren't working? 2) Can you play original Play Station games in the PS3? Sometimes I like to bust out old sports games, like the baseball games to play a game at County Stadium. 3) Completley dumb question. Do you need memory cards? I'm guessing not. I'm thinking that you can save to the unit itself and that's part of the 40 gig/ 80 gig thing. Thanks for the help.

A PS3 question for those in the know. What is the difference in the 40 gig PS3 ($400) and the 80 gig ($500) ? I keep hearing that the 80 gig is "mostly" reverse compatible for PS2 games. 1) ? Mostly compatable. What games aren't working? 2) Can you play original Play Station games in the PS3? Sometimes I like to bust out old sports games, like the baseball games to play a game at County Stadium. 3) Completley dumb question. Do you need memory cards? I'm guessing not. I'm thinking that you can save to the unit itself and that's part of the 40 gig/ 80 gig thing. Thanks for the help.

The 80GB PS3 can play PS2 games (via software emulation), the 40GB PS3 cannot. (The earlier 60 GB PS3's have the PS2 hardware inside the console, so it has very few compatibility issues....that's why I bought my PS3 back when the 80GB units came out in Europe.)

Look to this page on the PS3 website for a searchable database of PS2 games and whether they are playable on your PS3 of choice. It's far easier to for you to look up the games that you are concerned about, rather than leaving it to us to track down and list every game.

It is my understanding that PS1 games work on all versions of the PS3.

The PS3 can create a "virtual memory card" for your PS1/PS2 game saves. Be warned, though, that you will need to buy (or at least borrow) a memory card adapter for your PS3 in order to transfer memory card data from your PS1/PS2 to your PS3.

MLB 2K8 for thw Wii is pretty cool in my mind. Having to flick the remote up to start the windup and down at the right time as well as swinging with the remote is what makes it more fun. It gives you more of a controlled feeling as opposed to just pressing buttons. Zelda is also a great game, although I needed to follow a walkthrough I found online to get past certain parts, but I spent about 60 hours playing that game with my five year old enjoying watching me play it. Another bonus to the Wii is the ability to download hundreds of games from older consoles like Nintendo and Sega among others. I saw techmo bowl and double dribble available for 5 bucks.

I have a question about the new Mario Kart. Is it able to be played ok without the wheel. I know you get one wheel with the game, but you would need to buy 3 more of them for others to play.

With the PS3, don't you get to play online for free, whereas with the 360 you have to pay for a service?
Yes, but the fee for the 360 is actually pretty minimal. Between $3-$4 a month. If you look around a bit you can fins 12+1 month cards on sale in stores. It is normally $50 if you just renew through Xbox, but I would never do that when I can pay the same and get an extra month free.

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-live-12-month-gold-subscription-card-free-1-month-bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html

And with some games, a free 1 month subscription is included with a new game, GTA:IV came with a free month of xbox live. Also, your 360 comes with 3 free months of live, but you have to make a new account for each month. I can explain it better if someone is interested through a message.

Barbs4339 wrote:

I have a question about the new Mario Kart. Is it able to be played ok without the wheel. I know you get one wheel with the game, but you would need to buy 3 more of them for others to play.

I heard they were just expensive plastic. I also heard a bagel would work just as well, and is more tasty. Here are some ideas to save money.

http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=682895&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I blame Wang.

I bought a Wii last week pretty much to play Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario Galaxy. For Mario Kart, the wheel is great and everyone should give it a try. I beat 50cc and 100cc with the wheel, but had to use the controllers to beat the 150cc. I'm somewhat of an Xbox 360 fanboy, but Mario Kart is the most fun I've had on any system in a long time.

I'd probably avoid the PS3 at this point unless you are looking for a Blu-Ray player. The number of worthwhile exclusive titles on the PS3 are few and far between. Besides, it's the most expensive and you can't even find the backward compatible systems (20GB,60GB and 80GB) in stores anymore. I might feel differently after MGS 4 is released.

The 360 has the largest game catalog of the new generation consoles, including some pretty worthwhile downloadable online arcade games. The downloadable movies and tv shows section has gotten really good. I just downloaded No Country for Old Men in high definition for about $4.

It is strange that the 40 GB system is not backwards compatible, but I personally don't see it as a big deal. I bought the PS3 to play PS3 games, not games that I could play on my PS2.

Archived