Brewer Fanatic

PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360

Point Beer Is Best

depends what you like to play. if you like sports games i'd get a ps3. If you like multi player "party games" get a wii. if you like action, adventure, rpg games get a 360 in general. 360 has a better library of games i think. Ps3 is slowing expanding it. i exclusively play sports games so my ps3 works great for me.

I play my PS3 most often (actually, second most....but the Nintendo DS isn't one of my options), then Wii.

If you don't own an HDTV, you should give serious consideration to the Wii. (Doesn't mean that games won't look good in Standard Definition....it's just an admisison that you're not getting the most for your dollar with the other two.)

Second, as others have said, it depends on what you want to play. I own a PS3, but I'm not about to advocate about either system's offerings. You're going to have to put in some groundwork based on what you like.

Third consideration is taking your console online. Many new games offer (or will offer) additional content or multiplayer modes which can be accessed online. All three systems have firmware which has been (and will be) updated multiple times per year. The Wii can access a wi-fi network out-of-the box, but doesn't have an ethernet port (for wired networking). The PS3 has both wired (ethernet) and wireless (wi-fi) capabilities. The XBox 360 has an ethernet port, but charges $100 for its Wi-Fi adapter (a ripoff, IMO).

For both 360 and PS3, you'd actually be better served to wait a month or two. Sony is still bundling the PS3 with the SIXAXIS controller, and not the new Dual Shock 3 controllers (the old controllers lack rumble support). Likewise, Microsoft will eventually replace their current system setup by replacing the CPU and the GPU with different chipsets, which should finally and completely solve the "red ring of death" hardware failure problem.

There are about a million other concerns we could spout off (XBox live has better services for online play, but comes at an added fee; PS3 is a Blu-Ray player, PS3 allows you to manually upgrade the size of your hard drive, the 40GB PS3 is no longer backwards compatible with PS2 games, and the 80GB version only has limited backwards compatibility, etc.), but for most people....it comes down to which games they most want to play.

I play sports games almost exclusively (with the occasional X-Men: Legends and GTA-types thrown in) and I do own an HDTV (42"). When I got my new TV, that's when I finally realized that the PS2 graphics were lacking in sharpness. My TV also has 1080 capability, so the BluRay feature of the PS3 is intriguing, but I think I'm leaning towards a Wii for the fact that it's more "active" and might incite less of a riot from my wife when she sees me playing video games if it's something she could easily play as well.

What level of quality are the sports games for Wii (other than Wii sports which looks like tons of fun)? Are the games for Wii typically "family-friendly" or is there a wider array of genres available?

Gruber Lawffices

I know the Wii added MLB 2K7 this year, and they'll probably have pretty much all the other main sports games. Plus, you can't exactly play Super Smash Bros. or MarioCart on any other console... and the Wii is cheaper.

I won't step on anyone's toes from earlier comments, as I own none of the systems in question (PS2 for the dinosaur here). But I know if I were in your situation, I'd go for the PS3 -- from what I've heard, The Show 08 is awesome on the PS3, and I'm an all-day sucker for a good (& realistic) baseball game.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have played all 3 to an extensive amount. I will say that I have ALWAYS been a playstation guy. WII is more multiplayer/cartoonish type games.(not that cartoonish is bad, more like mario and such.) PS3 and XBOX are more sports and everything else. IMO. I would prefer the PS3(I have one) The Wii would be my next choice...ive played alot of games and they have been alot of fun. I like the sports and shooter games...ive always liked ps3. Hence...the choice for me.

It really does depend on what kinds of games you want to play. If you are going to play mostly sports games I would recommend a PS3. Most sports games are multiplatform and Sony is the only one of the three to make realistic first party sports games so they will offer more. Other than sports games you will have to do a little more digging and decide who has the more appealing first party exclusives. Right now, if you are interested in anything other than sports games, I would lean towards Xbox or Wii.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would go with the PS3 and then the WII, I have never played the 360. To me the WII is more for the casual gammer and there really isnt that many good games outside of what nintendo creates(mario). I bought the PS3 during christmas and my use of the WII has really gone down. Besides the unique controller there is no other advantage to the WII.

I have both the 360 and PS3 and can say that the PS3 is alot better in my opinion. Of course i only have the 360 hooked up through a Svideo cable while the PS3 is done through component. I have just always been a Sony guy.

I purchased a 360 shortly after I purchased my 52" LCD HDTV. The graphics are fantastic. The sound is great, too.

I have only four games for it right now: Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Forza 2 Motorsports, Lego StarWars (the kids love it), and Madden '08. I find playing Madden '08 is very frustrating simply because if the learning curve. I don't know if that is a 360 thing, or if that is a Madden thing.

I found that when watching standard DVDs on the 360, that the motion will not be smooth that often. I don't know if the PS3 is better at that or not.

I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it to anybody. I haven't played a PS3. I know two families that have purchased a Wii and the novelty wore off after about a month or two.

I'd love the Wii just for MarioKart. I just bought a PS3 and love it, but I don't see a big difference between PS3 and Xbox 360. PS3 has blu ray, free online play and rights to MLB The Show, but the 360 probably has a better selection of games at the moment.

I have a possible situation upcoming that I'll present as a hypothetical:

I have a 20" tube TV. GF wants us to make the next 'big' purchase be a flat-screen TV for the living room, shifting the tube to the bedroom. We will probably at least look at 1080i (if I have any influence http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ), and the new one would be at least 20", but probably nothing bigger than 30" or so.

All I'd want to play on a gaming system is sports games (though I know S.Smash Bros. & Mario Cart are sweet... don't 'need' them), and the GF might want to play the occasional adventure game (think Crash Bandicoot... her favorite). So it'd be for a small-ish new TV, and we have DVD players -- so no worries there.

Is the Wii going to be fine? I wouldn't even care about using the remote as the nunchucks or whatever. I'd be willing to buy a different set of 'normal' controllers if that's what it took. I like the price difference compared with PS3 & 360, and I remember feeling like I got burned by purchasing an XBox instead of Gamecube ('cube was cheaper then, too, and after I played a buddy's, I realized it would've done everything I waned from my console). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you want sports games, PS3 and xbox would be what you want. Wii is more "cartoonish" and multiplayer games. If you get the big PS3 it has backwards compatability, so your gf would be able to play old school Crash.(most ps2 games work in my ps3) Also, there are adventure games coming out for ps3. xbox has a wider range of games at the moment though. With the Wii, most of their games are set up that you have to use the nunchucks during game play. As far as I know, ive only played on one for about 5-10 times. Also, I know you have a DVD player already, but the ps3 comes with a blu-ray dvd player. If you get an HD tv it looks ALOT better. Also, its nice going to the movie store and being able to rent blu-ray movies because all the regular ones are already rented http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif My choice would be the PS3, I have it and love my sports games that ive played. Although, ive never been too big in the mario games n such. The Wii is a ton of fun for the first week or 2...then it gets boring.(says my friend who owns one.) Ive played mario party and it was a blast, but I could see it getting old quickly.

I personally prefer Xbox because they have the 1st party games I like, but if you are playing mostly sports games I would reccomend a PS3. They have The Show.

I blame Wang.

I thought you could use Wii controllers in the 'traditional' manner. Is that incorrect?

EDIT: Also, is 720p for the TV a waste of money? Should we just look at 1080i? It seems quite a few LDCs are 720p.

I thought you could use Wii controllers in the 'traditional' manner. Is that incorrect?

EDIT: Also, is 720p for the TV a waste of money? Should we just look at 1080i? It seems quite a few LDCs are 720p.

Presuming you're going to sit a few feet away from the TV, you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between 1080i and 720p from that distance (or 1080p for that matter). Honest question: what brands of TVs are 1080i nowadays? I bought a CRT that way about 2 years ago, but I had thought that the other technologies (LCD, Plasma) were progressive scan (the 'p') and not interlaced ('i')?

Know that none of the TV broadcast networks air shows in native 1080p; some do 720p (ABC), others 1080i (CBS). Any TV you buy now should be able to receive the other two signals, and properly render the picture consistent with the HDTV's native format. Video games and Blu-Ray discs are the only current sources of 1080p video (unless one of the HD cable / satellite channels broadcasts in that format).

As to your main question, Wii games vary greatly in terms of control scheme. Some of them only use the Wiimote held sideways like an 8-bit Nintendo controller (e.g., Fire Emblem), others use the Wiimote held like a pointer, still others use the Wiimote and 'nunchuck' attachment, and still others allow you to use the 'classic controller' attachment to the Wiimote, or just plug in one of the GameCube controllers to the ports hidden on the top of the Wii. Games like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart let you choose from multiple options; other games lock down to a single control scheme.

You should be able to play all Wii games with nothing more than the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Original NES games on the Virtual console only need the Wiimote turned sideways. I believe all other games on the virtual console require either the classic controller attachment or a gamecube controller. I use a wavebird controller which I had from my gamecube.

I blame Wang.

Has anyone here had any experience with MLB 2K8 on the Wii? I've really loved 2K's college hoops franchise, but have heard very mixed (to negative) reviews of their MLB vehicle. The Show is a great game... don't get me wrong; I just wouldn't want to base a console purchase on one game... even if that one game might be worth it!

The 360 and PS3 have identical graphics. Anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy. If you want a high def DVD player, the PS3 should get heavy consideration. Otherwise, it might just come down to exclusives.

The longer I have my wii, the less I like it. Every "good" game is just a Nintendo sequel. The motion controls seemed really neat at first but they just aren't very accurate. I haven't given up on console yet, though. I'll be playing Mario Kart this weekend (crosses gingers).

MLB Power Pros is an outstanding Wii sports game. I can't harp on it enough. Also, best adventure platform game out right now is Mario Galaxy. If your girlfriend likes Crash she'll like Galaxy, probably Paper Mario as well.

And to contradict Russ The Godfather game for the Wii is not a sequel, is a great game, and actually happens to be the highest reviewed of all the platform versions. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Their were valid complaints about the lack of games for the Wii for the first year or so, but they are now starting to churn out some good stuff to play on a fairly regular basis.

Archived