Brewer Fanatic

Going to Metrodome for Twins-Brewers?

jaybird2001wi

My brother and I will be making the drive to the Twin Cities at the end of June to check out the Metrodome as the Twins host the Brewers. Anyone else going to any of the games? We will be catching the Saturday and Sunday games before heading back after the Sunday game. My brother has been to the 'dome before, but I haven't. It will mark only the second time I have ever been west of the Mississippi in my life (the first being in Dallas a few years ago).

We haven't ordered our tickets yet, but my brother will likely do the ordering since he knows the place better than I do. If anyone else on here is going, maybe we oughta meet up at a specific inning just to say hello?

I'll be there for that series. My brother and his fiancee live in Minneapolis and my girlfriend and I will be headed there to visit and for, well, the same games. Saturday and Sunday http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Last year we sat in the Home Run Porch (LF), and I'm pretty sure that's where our tickets are again. We actually met some pretty cool people from Wisconsin at the end of it because the Brewers were winning and all the Twins fans left. We jumped up to the front row and met up with all the Brewer fans that were the only ones left. Unfortunately I left Sunday morning even though we contemplated the Sunday afternoon game. So I ended up missing Prince's inside-the-park homer.

If you've never been to the Metrodome, it is definitely an experience. Take County Stadium down many notches, add in crappy food, and you've got the Metrodome. Oh, and be careful walking out after the game in the area between the doors. You'll see what I mean.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

To make myself more clear, all the lower level seats are fine, and the upper deck ones to, between the bases at least. I would prefer getting "good" seats if I were visiting a park for the first time.

If the LF bleachers are still general admission, those are superb if you get there early. They might be the best seats in the ballpark, they definetly are for the money.

Do you mean the 2nd level? We were on the 1st level last year (Home Run Porch) and we had specific seats, so it wasn't general admission. But I agree, if you're in the right place, they are very good seats. I've always appreciated outfield seats everywhere I go, though.

I also agree that it would be nice to get "good" seats when visiting a park for the first time, but the Metrodome is just a completely different monster. That place is a pile, and soon will be a literal pile. I guess there's a little bit of value in "seeing it before it goes" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Nottso

Last year I brought a group of about 20-25 friends (about half Twins fans - half Brewer fans) to the Friday Saturday games and about 8 to the Sunday game. If anyone was there last year you may remember the cheesehead being thrown from the top deck: that was one of ours, thrown over by a Twins fan. I loved the "Let's Go Brewers" chants that eventually were drowned out by Twins fans booing. Hopefully the Crew can get 2 of 3 there again this year.

We'll be there again this year most likely just in the general admission section. Last season we were in foul territory down the LF line; I'd be glad to meet up with anyone or at least just say hi, and we usually go out in downtown Minne after at least the Saturday night game if you don't mind hanging with a bunch of twentysomethings that like to drink tremendous amounts of beer!

I would prefer getting "good" seats if I were visiting a park for the first time.

They have those there?

I couldn't believe it when I went there last summer and they were actually charging major league ticket prices to sit under a hefty bag in a gigantic pile of crap. The only reason I can see someone wanting to "experience" the Metrodome is so they can say "I watched a baseball game in the most pathetic pile of garbage to ever pass for a major league venue".

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I don't think Twins fans even realize how amazing it's going to be to get a new park (this was approved, right?). As far as the sightlines, the seats aren't too bad. But pretty much everything else is pretty terrible. I mean, they can't even get simple food items right. I was getting hungry so I chanced the Metrodome food; I got an insanely stale soft pretzel. "Soft" doesn't really describe it.

If they build an open-air park, I would rather sit in 20 degree weather in April than sit in the Metrodome. But you can make it fun if you have good company.

~Nottso

Has anyone ever sat in the Home Run Porch in left field? I've never been there but hopefully my girlfriend and I will be going to the Saturday night game so I'm wondering how they are. It goes from $20 to $25 cause it's a "premium game" or whatever they call it, then a few bucks for the convenience charge so I just want to make sure they don't stink or anything.

Jazzytrav, http://twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/index.jsp. Looks like it should be pretty nice.

Community Moderator

I went last year on Friday and Saturday--had a great time.

I will actually defend the Metrodome and say that it isn't that bad of a place to watch a baseball game. The pillow roof is strange, but Miller Park's roof isn't the most attractive thing in the world either. They also cover up the CF seats, which makes the place feel smaller than it actually is. The sight lines are bad along the left field line, but if you sit behind home plate or in the outfield, it isn't any worse than Miller Park. Clearly, the Twins need a new stadium, but I think they will miss the closed roof and the uniqueness of the place when they are freezing their butts off in April or sitting through a rain delay.

It is cool that the new place somewhat emulates the Metrodome by having lots of outfield seats in LF and keeping the 23-ft high wall in RF.

I'm going Saturday and Sunday too, sitting in Lower Reserved on the 3rd base side. 1st base was already sold out--in January.

The Dome sucks, literally, that's what the warning about the doors is for; the pressure involved in keeping the roof up will suck you straight out of the doors when you leave. When I was a kid, my ears would pop every time.

Home Run Porch section is fine. The sightlines are fairly good there. It's not general admission and it's always packed for Brewers games so I don't think you'll be able to walk around and get better seats in the same section (unlike the Twins-Royals games I always end up seeing.)

(I haven't made it to Miller Park yet, but I do remember thinking that County was an improvement on the Dome 20 years ago.)

I was there the Friday game as well, I was sitting in the GA seats, right above the baggy. And yes the Lets Go Brewers chant was probably the best thing ever. It pissed every Twins fan off. But after the Jenkins grand slam, It was a blast.

Don't get a seat anywhere on the firstbase side. The seats all face the baggie in RF and you'll spend the entire game twisted in your seat just so you can see the infield. It's kind of like the modern equivalent of the Chinese Water Torture.

Has anyone ever sat in the Home Run Porch in left field?

Yup, and as everyone else said, it's a pretty good spot. I was there last year for a Saturday night game, and I'll be there at the end of June for that Saturday-Sunday. The Home Run Porch is a fairly decent deal. You're on the 1st level in LF, and it's only about $25. Personally, I'd rather sit there than on the infield at the Metrodome.

Also, thanks for the link, Glennron http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif It looks like a beautiful park. Unfortunately it will probably be freezing when they open it since it will be in April, but I would love to be there the inaugural year when the Brewers head over. It's also nice to see they're changing up the food service; Metrodome food is awful.

~Nottso

One of my amusing/bemusing memories of the one game I've attended at the Metrodome was the "Healthy Alternatives" concession stand...which never opened when we were there.

Also, there was a sign honoring "Kirby Pucket" - spelled like that. Ouch.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Verified Member
I will most likely be there at least one of Friday and Saturday. The only reason I wouldn't be at both is that I'm getting sick of the Metrodome prices getting raised every year, plus the Brewers are at the "premium" rate. I used to get HR porch tickets for $11 apiece, and Upper GA for $4; now I need to pay more than double that. But if I'm not sure whether I'll make it down to Miller Park this year (haven't been able to in 3 years now), I'll be tempted to go to both as it could be the only chance to see them live this year.

The dome stinks, enough said. Been there many times and its still nothing special, but hey, baseball is still baseball. Watching a game in one of the worst venues in MLB is still better than a trip to the Mall of America with the girlfriend.

A little side note for those not familiar with the area- whenever I drive to the dome I get off I-94W at the 5th street exit and park in the ramp that is about 1/2 mile in on the left. Its $10 and 1 block from the dome and it is VERY easy to get back on I-94E from that ramp.

edit - forgot to mention that I am going to either the Friday night or Saturday game (can't remember which :X)

Watching a game in one of the worst venues in MLB is still better than a trip to the Mall of America with the girlfriend.
This is up there right now for Line of the Year in my book http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Nottso

Archived