Brewer Fanatic

Weekend matchups, outlook the rest of the way

Since dwelling on what's happened in the past during the baseball season (good or bad) is about as worthwhile as someone trying to lose weight ordering a diet coke to go with a king-sized whopper meal, let's look at the pitching matchups for this weekend's STL series.

Vargas - Maroth

Maroth pitched well against the Brewers while he was still a Tiger, but he's been pretty bad lately. Vargas needs to find some way to get through 7 innings to keep an already taxed bullpen from completely burning out. Vargas looked very good in his last start - he did give up 3 runs, but he surrendered very few hard hit balls and had pretty good command.

Capuano - Thompson

Capuano should have 2 wins in his last two starts. He's been very good, and hopefully will continue to pitch well. Thompson's been o.k. for the Cardinals as a starter, something they've had to accept with their depleted pitching staff.

Parra - Reyes

This game may come to do a battle of the bullpen scrubs for both teams, although I think Parra has an advantage in facing the Cards for the first time - can you say Chris Saenz?

Yo - Wells

Wells has been pitching pretty well his last two times out, but Yo has been better - if Wells is on, this will be a hardfought game. if not, it could be one of those laughers.

This should be a very interesting series for the Brewers team - I think we'll all find alot out about how the rest of the season's going to play out over the weekend. Milwaukee's gotten back up and played very well after getting slammed to the ground after a few bad stretches/losses already this season. Now, with the Cubs breathing down their necks for the division lead, and a logjam of potential wildcard teams with nearly identical winning percentages, let's see how resilient and confident this team is in itself.

For the past two months, they've talked the talk about taking things one game at a time and not looking ahead in the schedule or behind them in the standings - now it's time to find out if they really believe that, or if playing for something meaningful is too much pressure on them.

-----------------------

I think the Brewers are going to take this series. As stupid as that sounds I really think they are going to win three. Yost, like it or not, has rested Braun, Hardy, Fielder, and Hart. Now all of them should be able and better play all four games. And it seems to be that the Brewers have the advantage pitching wise in every game.

Excellent post. Tomorrow night can't come soon enough. Winning this series 3-1 would give me what I wanted on the roadtrip...a 4-4 split. I expected 3-5, but really wanted to go .500. I think the team will show some resolve this weekend and gut out a couple tough wins and maybe win a laugher mixed in with a tough loss.

Getting to 59-47 heading into the last day of July would make this Brewers fan very very happy.

I'd settle for 2-2 since they never seem to play well in St. Louis, but I'll definitely take 3-1 if the Cards are willing to give that to the Brewers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Here's to hoping the Reds stay hot, while we're at it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Let's get real here . . . these are the Brewers and this is a road series. They have shown no ability to perform to expectations on the road. They dropped series to the Reds, Nationals, and Pirates.

I am not going to assume anything.

Quote:
Is Manny Parra getting a start? Why is that again? I'd love to see it if it's happening, but that's the first I've heard of it.

Parra is starting the first game of the double-header, in order to help conserve as much of the bullpen as possible (he's already stretched out since he was a starter in AAA). I think it was announced last weekend....I first heard on the WSSP postgame show on Sunday.

All I can say is that even if the Brewers were knocking on the door of 100 losses right now, nothing gets my jollies jollied more than a twin-billing. My oh my, two games on Saturday - and we get to see an exciting young lefty strut his stuff... i love baseball.

I like the Brewers' chances this weekend. I think it's impossible and counterproductive to guess outcomes of series (but here I go anyway http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif - brewers win 3 of 4!)

I'll say we split the series, even though we face essentially bad pitchers all four games. I have zero confidence in this team on the road.

I expect to see full arsenal lineups in every game against the Cards, and I don't think that's too much to ask.

Quote:
Let's get real here . . . these are the Brewers and this is a road series. They have shown no ability to perform to expectations on the road. They dropped series to the Reds, Nationals, and Pirates.

They also won series against the Marlins, Astros, Tigers, Twins. We aren't a great road team but the team is capable of winning a series on the road even against a decent team.

"Maroth pitched well against the Brewers while he was still a Tiger"

Actually no he didn't. He gave up 10 hits and 4 BB in 7 innings. The Brewers (as is their habit), helped him out over and over by trying to hit 3 run home runs with guys on instead of playing small ball. Fortunately Bill Hall bailed everyone out that game with a clutch 2 run home run that set the Brewers on a nice little run.

If they can't get 2 or 3 wins against that lineup of garbage the Cardinals will have on the mound, then they are in trouble.

Archived