Brewer Fanatic

The Wave thoughts, concerns, etiquette

InsomniacInkRoss
Absolutely, but should my viewing of the game should be interrupted because people want to stand up in front of me to do an over used and outdated ritual, in inappropriate times? It doesn't make you less of a fan but there are times for everything and when the Brewers are down by two runs in the top of the 6th with men on 2nd and 3rd with no one out isnt the time for the wave

I agree, but were you never an 8 year old kid at a Brewer game? Do you really "miss" what's going on? Can you not figure it out? I'm not a fan of the wave or any other game ritual- but do you want them to screen ticket buyers? round and round and round we go...

Yep, been there done that. I was an 8 year old at a Brewers game and was taught that there was a time and place for everything. I remember going to lots of games as a young kind but I can only remember doing it a time or two. It was not something that was done at every game. I was also taught to enjoy myself and have a good time without impeding on others enjoyment of the game. Call me crazy but I want to watch the game not a bunch of folks doing the wave. If the game gets boring because of a Brewers massacre well heck lets get that wave rollin'. Most of the time the wave isnt started by an 8 year old or kid of any kind but drunken frat boys or girls who could care less about whats going on on the field. That ticks me off. Call me an elitist if you will

I loathe and despise the Wave with a passion normally reserved for the Chicken Dance.

It is, however, acceptable under one of the following circumstances:

1. You have a Time Machine and it's 1986 again.

2. You have an adorable child sitting behind you with his family, who does the wave with enthusiasm because, according to his mother, "he thinks he's celebrating them scoring touchdowns".

The only acceptable thing to do during the wave is to pour your beer down the back of the guy standing up in front of you.

superficially, this quote sums up my feelings on the wave pretty succinctly. alas, my hatred for the wave is much more passionate than a single quote can encompass.

there are few things i hate more than when i'm already basting and bronzing, patiently waiting for braun to hit one into my section of the left field bleachers, than for some uppity wankers with their shirts tied around their heads to start lambasting my and the neighboring section about starting the wave. i allow and agree that both baseball and the wave can be very entertaining for drunk people, children and novices alike, and that is why stadiums have upper decks. frankly, i have even thought it cute to see 7,000 youngsters in neon t-shirts doing the wave all the way from section 410-440, it's a nice distraction during a pitching change - and you'd have to be a cubs fan not to think it's cute when the child chorus actually gets a substantial "here we go brewers" cheer going (we're talking thursday afternoon games here). i might even think it cute for a kid to try to start the wave a few times, but as has been mentioned prior, a parent ought to curtail that attempt after a half dozen attempts or so, it loses it's novelty after 200 or 300 repetitions. as for the aforementioned wankers, unfortunately there is often little answer to this problem. at root, baseball is a spectator sport, though some consider it a technicality that you actually pay to see the game. yes, going to the big giant building with the roof that opens and closes is an experience with options that stimulate many senses, but the central point is intended to be the game. i don't care if you're bored with the game, the wave is not the answer. if you're bored go shopping, or go to fridays and wait in line for 45 minutes to get yourself a two-foot-tall neon drink. i see the "game-as-entertainment" counter-argument happening here. c'mon, when you go to the movie theater you're there to watch the movie, no? if you go to a bad movie, do you start the wave?

am i innocent? no, i have done the wave - though not for a decade at least. am i purist, an elitist, someone who cares more about the game than what happens on the jumbotron, a person who has booed sandy maxx, an unforgiving salt who has been known to hurl a mike and/or ike at a deserving buffoon after repeated failed attempts at starting the wave? yes, i most certainly am. i'm not sorry.

I don't like the wave so I just don't do it. What cracks me up are the adults that get really excited about the wave, stop paying attention to the game and just stare down the other sections waiting for the wave to come.

Archived