Brewer Fanatic

The Wave thoughts, concerns, etiquette

InsomniacInkRoss

I by no means hate the Wave, but people just don't seem to do it right, maybe its the recent flux of new folks at the ballpark who have never gotten to do the wave

I am working on some sort of "wave etiquette" list, mostly for fun

I would like everyone's input

I am tired of seeing the wave attempted in the third inning, or in the bottom of the 8th with the Brewers batting and trailing by 1 run

Should only be done, if ever, after the 7th inning stretch and if your team is up by at least 8 runs.

Never when there are men on base.

No one should be made to feel guilty for not doing the wave.

I can't stand the wave because it's mostly gone from being a supportive thing to the audience celebrating itself.

For the most part I agree with Series.

I was at the game on Saturday with a group of 24 (all in one row), and a friend down on the other end sent me a text that said "The wave's coming your way in the top of the 8th." It was a one-run game at the time. Needless to say he got a lot of crap from me afterwards.

I don't hate the thing as much as some people do, though. UW Football games (with changing speeds and directions) are a good example of a well-executed wave (granted it doesn't start while we're on offense or in other key situations). Also, from the sound of it, the "slow wave" at MP last year during the Indians-Angels series was the single most amazing thing either Travis Hafner or Joe Borowski ever saw. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Count me in the group that despises the wave. I want to concentrate on the game, not people sitting up and down. Just cause your attention wanders in a 3 hour baseball game doesn't make it alright. I forget the exact situation in Friday's game, but it was 0-0 through 9 innings, the wave was not something I wanted distracting me at that moment. And I'm pretty sure the wave started to make it's way around in the 3rd inning Sunday.

it can only be done later on in the game

the brewers must be winning by at least 3 runs

if the wave attempt fails 5 times to make it al the way around, it should not be tried again that day.

the crowd must be able to do all of the speed and direction variations.

i almost never participate, but can "accept" it under the 4 conditions i mentioned...

This season a group in left field has started the "UW" version of the wave at all 5 games I've been to, which leads me to believe it's now most every game. The appeal of the slow-mo, fast-forward, split and reverse are that A.) they're a UW thing so therefore B) they're special.

Doing them every Brewer game takes something from that.

In addition, it lasts entirely too long to be feasible for a baseball game. The stoppages aren't that long. Plus, most people there don't know it and so the fast-forward tends to go around 2 or 3 times and the reverse and split rarely work.

It's so overdone at MP.

I agree with pretty much every thing that has been said so far. I hate the Wave a lot because it is so overused and done in the wrong situations.

Only after the sixth inning

Only when the Brewers have a 5+ run lead

Do it and get it over with so I can go back to watching the game I paid to see instead of seeing jerks stand up in front of me (which happens enough as it is).

Never in key situations ie: men on base, opposing team is threatening, Turnbow is pitching.

Every time the Wave violates one of these rules something bad inevitably happens. It is just bad karma.

During Sunday's game they did the wave in the first or second inning, when the Brewers were up 1-0. Then they kept trying to get it going again throughout the game. Do it once in the game and that's it.

This season a group in left field has started the "UW" version of the wave at all 5 games I've been to, which leads me to believe it's now most every game. The appeal of the slow-mo, fast-forward, split and reverse are that A.) they're a UW thing so therefore B) they're special.
Right, and complete with the mock arm extended clapping thing and the (expletive) chant. It's all so tired.

i really don't mind it but never participate. The biggest problem is that the only time it is done it is initiated by a bunch of people that has had too much to drink. I know some teams has said the slow wave can be somewhat distracting. Theres been drunk idiots that try to start it when the brewers are up. I am glad that there are enough knowledgeable fans that know when to do it. Mennoti your rules seem about right. I think for the most part brewer fans follow rules similar to that and the people trying to start it get made when noone will join in. Truth be told its an old and tired tradition, just like throwing the ball back after homers, that if it went away i wouldn't mind.

The wave is ok.. but only when it makes sense.

My rules..

1) MUST be started in the bleachers. I'm tired of seeing wankers in TR at the very end trying to start the wave in reverse. It's the bleachers responsibility to start it!

2) See the weathermans post. Do the fun waves that are different, then lets stop.

3) If the wave doesn't go anywhere after 5 attempts, STOP. Nothings worse then seeing hammered guy refusing to let it die.

4) Only one wave a game please.

5) Every games doesn't require the wave.

Can someone explain to me any legitimate reason for the Wave?

If you're that bored, go home. And really, question why you came in the first case. It's a baseball game. They're long and slow. If you're not into it, don't force the rest of us to deal with your boredom.

I just can't wrap my head around why grown adults get so excited about something that literally happens at every sporting event. It's not like it's novel anymore. You stand up for 3 seconds and yell. Woo Hoo!

What's the point? What do you get out of it?

tristarscoop wrote:

I just can't wrap my head around why grown adults get so excited about something that literally happens at every sporting event. It's not like it's novel anymore. You stand up for 3 seconds and yell. Woo Hoo!

I could see why people would think it's still somewhat cool if it's happening at some place like Camp Randall or any football stadium where the stands go all the way around and there's a sellout crowd. But at a ballpark like Miller Park and especially if it's at less than capacity, yeah I agree it is pretty lame.

Can people just go to a game and enjoy it the way they want to? Why do people have to dress a certain way or act a certain way? If a single mother saves up for 5 months to take her 4 kids to 1 game a year , can't they do wave if they want. Does that make them lesser fans? I'm sorry I just don't get these "How to act at a sporting event " threads. What makes the world go around? Different people doing different things. I remember going to County Stadium, my eyes as big as pancakes, the smells of the yard, the cracks of the bats, seeing the players so close up, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Don't do the wave,

don't wear old school gear, don't have beer, don't clap, don't order peanuts, don't cheer for Bill Hall, when is it OK to go to the ballpark and have a good time? Sorry bout the rant.

Can people just go to a game and enjoy it the way they want to?

Absolutely, but should my viewing of the game should be interrupted because people want to stand up in front of me to do an over used and outdated ritual, in inappropriate times? It doesn't make you less of a fan but there are times for everything and when the Brewers are down by two runs in the top of the 6th with men on 2nd and 3rd with no one out isnt the time for the wave.

Hey, that single mom and her kids can start the wave all they want. If they have the right to start it, I have every right to disagree with them in a non-profane manner. I paid for my ticket too and my opinion is thus: I hate the wave. If you try to start the wave in front of me, I will tell you I do not like it. I don't like the corporate stiffs in the good seats spending the whole game on their Crackberries either, but that is another thread.

While I do not participate in the wave, and I went to Purdue so I am not on the "in" with the UW folks, my requests for you Freedom hating wave starers are as follows:

(Totally channeling Colbert by the way)

1. Never before the 6th inning.

2. Never in a close game (defined as ours or the opposition's tying run being at the plate)

3. Preferably never when we are hitting no matter what the situation.

4. Its baseball, 3 strikes and you are out. If you can't get the wave going by the 3rd time, it ain't happening.

Absolutely, but should my viewing of the game should be interrupted because people want to stand up in front of me to do an over used and outdated ritual, in inappropriate times? It doesn't make you less of a fan but there are times for everything and when the Brewers are down by two runs in the top of the 6th with men on 2nd and 3rd with no one out isnt the time for the wave

I agree, but were you never an 8 year old kid at a Brewer game? Do you really "miss" what's going on? Can you not figure it out? I'm not a fan of the wave or any other game ritual- but do you want them to screen ticket buyers? round and round and round we go...

Archived