Brewer Fanatic

Culvers Major League Moment

bensheeps

My 10-year-old son and I just got home to find a message on the answering machine from the Brewers. After a couple of years of filling out millions of cards at Culvers, he was chosen to take part before the Sunday May 11th game. Not a bad birthday present for me (#40), Mother's Day surprise for my wife, and oh yeah, our son is pretty excited too.

Don't know how I'll get him to think about other stuff for the next couple of weeks. He's already planning out questions that he will ask each player depending on who he gets to stand next to.

That is awesome. I always wondered how the Culver's kids (for lack of a better term) found out they were picked.

On the 6th, a 13 year old girl was chosen for left field. I would most likely have enjoyed meeting Ryan Braun (or his superstar equivalent) when I was 13. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

During the National Anthem, those kids are always standing at attention next to the players. The big screen usually shows them a few times.

I always thought that would be an awesome picture...your 10 year old standing next to a Brewer during the National Anthem.

(Just a heads up so you watch the screen and get a good picture)

I always thought that would be an awesome picture...your 10 year old standing next to a Brewer during the National Anthem.

At the last Sunday game we attended last year (the season ender), I noticed that all of the infielders stand together, kind of by second base, with their young counterparts. That would be a cool picture even if you didn't know any of the kids involved.

Bensheeps, do you know yet what kind of tickets you get for being a major league moment family?

I did this when I was a kid as well. My reward was the opportunity to stand on the pitchers mound next to Brewer legend Brad Woodall.

It was sponsored by Gander Mountain back then, and one was required to write a little paragraph about "why you love the Brewers". Perhaps a sign of the times that it's now sponsored by a fast food joint and you earn it by eating frozen custard..http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Congratulations. I will be at that game on May 11th. My son was a jr. announcer last year for one game. We got free tickets in the 2nd deck family section behind home plate.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great day! Mother's Day and my birthday take a back seat as my son has a great experience.

We got to the park around 11:30 and headed to the Brewers Offices in the right field corner. We handed in our signed parent permission slip and my son was given his Culvers t-shirt and a new Brewers cap. We were given 4 tickets in section 229 (outfield loge) on the aisle. We were told to go enjoy the ballpark and be back at the offices around 12:15. My wife mentioned to the girl working that I would be accompaning my son to the field, but the girl asked if my wife would do it instead as they were going to let the kids and their mothers on the field today for Mother's Day. Looks like I had been assigned duty with my 2-yr old daughter and to man the camera.

When my wife and son returned to the offices, Sam was given a ball and the two of them were led to the field with the rest of the Culvers' kids and moms. It was at this time that he found out that he would be announced at shortstop with J.J. Needless to say, my wife was just as happy as the 10 year old (probably for other reasons though).

As they were announced at short, my wife and son made sure to jump over the 1st baseline (no chance at jinxing the game). On the run to their position, my son dropped his pen from his pants pocket. When Ryan Braun was announced, Sam was able to get a high-five from Ryan on his way to left. When J.J. got to the field, they told him that they had no pen, so the three of them moved to 2nd base to join Rickie Weeks. Sam was able to get J.J.'s autograph, but the National Anthem started before Rickie could sign. They were shown on the video board during the Anthem and can also be seen on the FSN broadcast running to and from the shortstop position.

I'm thinking the club may want to pay my son to be around more. J.J. with 3 hits on the day and Braun with two HRs after Sam's good luck "five". A coincidence...I think not.

Thanks for letting a very proud dad go on for along time.

I watched the whole time! I saw Sam snag Ryan for a high five and thought "Yeah!" And watching your son and wife's reactions as J.J. was announced brought a big smile to my face. I would absolutely have wanted to jump up and down if I'd been in their shoes.

I'm happy for your family, and grateful for the good fortune they obviously brought today. Who knows, maybe even the pen left on the field will help. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Man, I have got to start entering my nephew in this.

That's awesome bensheeps...during today's broadcast I could see some of the Culver's MLM kids and their moms running out on to the field behind Rock and BA and wondered if your kid was among the ones I saw

Glad it was a great day for all involved (including us watching at home!)

Awesome experience & story, sheeps -- thanks for sharing! You can thank your son for me. Those performances from J.J. & Ryan were great, and much-needed.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived