Brewer Fanatic

First trip to Wrigley on Thursday afternoon: Tips?

gumby

I'm heading to Wrigley for the first time on Thursday afternoon with my brother (field box on the first base side). Can anyone help me with some tips?

1. I'm tentatively planning to take Metra in from the far western Chicago suburbs (Geneva) and then planning to take the Red or Brown line, but my brother will be coming from the south side of Milwaukee. What is the best way for my brother to meet me for the game? Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago? Metra from Kenosha? Park somewhere (??)on the north side and take the Red line in directly? Park somewhere in Wrigleyville (for free??) and walk to the park? From what I can tell, any of the shuttles that sometimes service Wrigley don't operate for day games in May.

2. Any particular suggestions for grabbing something to eat or grabbing a beer either before or after the game? Any other things around the park that we should be sure to check out?

3. Any serious chance that we will get physically hassled at the game if we wear Brewers gear? I don't care about a little verbal abuse (I would be dissapointed otherwise). My brother and I are both tall guys, but we aren't really interested in any shoving matches, beer showers or worse.

4. Any other tips you would share with people making their first trip to Wrigley?

We're also going on Thursday, sitting in the bleachers with the bums/drunks. We drive to the north side of chicago and catch the red line at the Howard Avenue station, it drops you off right at the confines at the Addision Street Station.

Plenty of bars to go to, we always stop at the one right on the corner after you leave the train station, cant think of the name. Sitting in the bleachers, we always have to go in plenty early to get decent seats, so bar time is limited. You'll probably get heckled a bit, just be good natured about it and play along. It will be a lot easier if the crew takes the first 2 games and we're going for the sweep, that'll keep the cubbie faithful down a bit. If there going for the sweep, look out. Dont get obnoxious, dont taunt, be respectful, much like we'd like the cubs fans to do when they come here (though they never do).

Have a great time! Go Brewers!

1. I'd have him park by the Howard red-line stop on the northside and take the red-line down to the Addision stop. It's the quickest and least amount of transfers.

2. I always liked going somewhere a little less raucous for a beer or a bite before the games there--Goose Island Brewery on Clark just south of Addison. I really like the Gingerman on Clark north of the park, just past the Metro and Yak-zies. No food there but a great beer selection, laid-back atmosphere and a great jukebox.

3. I lived in Chicago for a long time and I've seen dozens of Brewers-Cubs games there and I've had a problem only once, two years ago in the bleachers when some falling-down drunk middle-aged woman pointedly asked me what the score was (I believe the Brewers were down by a run or two in the 5th inning). Most times people have been pretty friendly, but with both teams competitive that atmosphere might've changed, especially in the bleachers, which tends to attract drunks and morons.

4. I'd just suggest keeping the moral high ground and root for the Brewers (and not against the Cubs, there's a difference) loudly but respectfully. I know we can't stand when Cubs' fans come up to MP and act like dingbats and it was always embrassing to me as a Crew fan when a group of Brewers' fans (almost always a pack of young males) act confrontational and obnoxious. I think the structure of Wrigley is rot--terrible bathrooms and food/beer options, but the view from the grandstands is amazing on a nice afternoon or evening, it's a real jewel.

try not to get annoyed with people constantly moving around. I was very annoyed by the fact that it didn't seem like people came to watch the game. It didn't matter if it was during an inning, or after every half inning half the section I was in would get up to do something. I saw the same 20 or so people get up about 5 times during the game. I'm glad I went to Wrigley one time, but I don't think I'll be back to watch a baseball game any time soon.

1. I'd have him park by the Howard red-line stop on the northside and take the red-line down to the Addision stop. It's the quickest and least amount of transfers.
Is it tough to find parking near the Howard red-line stop?

theres a parking structure just to the south of the howard avenue station. As your heading east on Howard, turn right before you go under the tracks and go about a block, you'll see the structure on your left next to the tracks. I think it costs like $2 to park. Oh yeah, the only redeeming thing about Wrigley dump is the imported beer stand in the bleacher area, where you can get a 20 oz heineken for $5.50. Beats drinking bud and dog style which is what else they have.

I highly recommend parking in Skokie and taking the yellow line in to the red line. Its only 1 transfer, there's a huge parking lot there, and you won't have any problems at all getting to and from the game.

http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/yellow.html

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I take the purple line from the Linden station and transfer to the red line at Howard. The Linden is the farthest North station and has it's own park and ride. Parking is $2 for 24 hours and it's a few minutes from the Freeway. It's in Wilmette. I've done this several times. You're further north than the Howard and therefore avoid a toll or two as well as more city traffic. It's directly south on 43/94. I wouldn't recommend any other way! There's maps and directions directly on the CTA website.

If he's coming from south Milwaukee, he wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be hitting any tolls by the time he gets to Wilmette anyway. At any rate, whenever I was going to or from Wisconsin, I'd take 41 rather than the tollway...it only takes about 10 minutes longer, there's little traffic, and of course, you pay no tolls.

I stand by my Howard suggestion: he parks at Howard and he also avoids the transfer at Howard as well as having to wait for a purple line train which runs much less frequently than the red.

The purple is like every 7 to 9 minutes, closer at peak times. I just prefer Linden because the parking is right there, it's lit and I feel more secure. You're in a residential area. I have had problems finding parking at Howard and prefer not to have to walk to a parking garage in an area I'm not familiar with. It's all a matter of personal preference. As for the tolls, I thought there was a toll at the freeway exit for Howard and I don't think there's one at the exit for Linden. I could be wrong.

Of course, he avoids all of the toll and parking issues if he gets on the Metra at Kenosha and gets off at the Ravenswood stop. They have CTA shuttle busses that run to Wrigley on the day of game (or they did) from there. I probably wouldn't suggest that though, to me it's just a pain to go from car to train to bus and back, plus the bus gets gummed up with traffic around Wrigley on game days. The red line doesn't have that issue.

1. If you have plenty of time your brother could park on Addison west of the stadium. Be sure to go at least as far west as Southport and then start looking. Side streets would be best, and I don't think there are many parking restrictions for day games. Otherwise, the park and ride at Howard is good.

2. The busy bars are the ones closest to the stadium. Sportscorner on Addision and Sheffield is big and has food. Murphy's Bleachers is up Sheffield and also has food. The Cubby Bear is on Addison and Clark but is kind of a dump. There is a brand new Harry Caray's on Sheffield just south of Addison it is a brand new place and is nicer than the other bars/grills around but it also costs more. There are plenty of other taverns along Sheffield, Clark and Racine most of them will serve food and nearly all will be filled with folks going to the game.

3. Nobody will really seriously harass you unless you are a wise guy. Otherwise, you may get ribbed if the Brewers are getting destroyed but I've never had a problem.

Bring a jacket because the wind blowing in off Lake Michigan can drop the temp inside the stadium quite substantially especially if you are not in the sun.

I highly recommend parking in Skokie and taking the yellow line in to the red line. Its only 1 transfer, there's a huge parking lot there, and you won't have any problems at all getting to and from the game.

http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/yellow.html

That's the way i take when i come in from the Kenosha area. Pretty easy in and out.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The nice thing about parking at Howard is there are no transfers whatsoever. I live very close to the Western stop on the Brown Line and it's a really nice neighborhood with a lot of street parking. From 94, take the Peterson exit east, then take a right on 41 (lincoln avenue). You'll run right into the station just south of Lawrence (about two and a half miles).

If you take the Brown, you can get off at Southport and walk (right out of the station, right on addison) or you can transfer to the red line heading north at Belmont and get off at addison.

I've never had a problem with Cub fans but I've never sat in the bleachers either. As long as you are obnoxious the worst you'll get is some ribbing.

There are a ton of restaurants up and down Clark St. Goose lsland has some good food and beer.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bring a jacket because the wind blowing in off Lake Michigan can drop the temp inside the stadium quite substantially especially if you are not in the sun.

Excellent point. Although the perception of Wrigley is that people are out in the sun, many of the seats are actually in the shadows. It can be freezing cold sometimes.

I live in ChiTown and love living here and cheering for the Brewers at Wrigley. I usually catch three tilts a year here when they play. I'm not the guy to talk to about parking because everyone comes to my place from Wisco and we leave from here. I live in Lincoln Park, which is a hop, skip, and jump away.

Chicago fans are fun to mess with a little bit. Half of my friends are Cub fans unfortunately. We constantly jab each others teams and nothing happens from it for the most part. I also will jab with some fans who mess with me first, but I make sure they are not absolutely hammered or it could be a problem. I wear my Yount, Weeks, or now Braun jerseys to each game and make it out unscathed.

I would not recommend Murphy's or Cubby Bear. They are far too crowded. Casey Moran's is my favorite, but you need to get there really early. On that note, I would recommend either Mo's (south on Clark one block), Goose Island (half block s on Clark), or a new bar called Vines, which is next to Cubby Bear. Oh yeah, Red Ivy is pretty good too. These are all on Clark.

Enjoy your time at Wrigley. Although I like Miller Park a lot more, I do enjoy going to Wrigley more for our new rivalry because there is nothing better than walking out of that joint with a W. (Although, if we lose, you have to listen to that awful Go Cubs, Go song.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There was nothing worse than being a Brewer fan at the game where Ramirez hit the walk off last year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you want to eat cheap, just east of the ball park is a pizza place called Bacci's. You can get a huge slice of pizza that's not too bad for cheap. You really don't want to eat anything at Wrigley. If you get there really early, there's a place on Clark and Roscoe, south of the ballpark called the Pick Me Up. It's a kind of yuppie sandwich place, but it's really good.

I know you're joking, but the worst thing you can do is bring a broom to a visiting team's park...if you don't get the sweep, you've just opened yourself up to some pretty creative abuse from the home team's fans. Me and some pals really gave it to a Cards fan at County one time

If you want to eat cheap, just east of the ball park is a pizza place called Bacci's. You can get a huge slice of pizza that's not too bad for cheap. You really don't want to eat anything at Wrigley. If you get there really early, there's a place on Clark and Roscoe, south of the ballpark called the Pick Me Up. It's a kind of yuppie sandwich place, but it's really good.

I prefer using the acronym-DINKS over yuppie. DINKS is dual-income no kids. Yuppie is a racist word to us DINKS.

I am just kidding, of course.

There was nothing worse than being a Brewer fan at the game where Ramirez hit the walk off last year.

Worst moment ever...

I've been to two Brewers-Cubs games at Wrigley and wore my Prince and Cecil Cooper jerseys without having any problems. As long as you cheer for your team and avoid the drunk Cub fans, you should be fine.

Archived