Brewer Fanatic

4/29/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Astros (Williams): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And some won't. Your point?

I think you know my point. I'm always told you can't critique a pitcher based on wins because he has no control over his run support. And I would say to that: then you better give up fewer runs than your team can score! Why is it people defend Sheets' win totals because he played on bad teams? I know there are plenty of other stud pitchers (on bad teams) out there who win a lot of ball games because they simply allow fewer runs than their opponent.

I give Vargas credit because even though he didn't have his best 'stuff' he still held them to 0ER. No questions asked. But if Sheets gave up 4 runs here and we only scored 3 runs we would hear 'but we got him no run support." Vargas deserves credit because he shut the door on them and deserves the WIN.

You want to judge a pitchers performance based on only the result? That's your right. Just understand that some look a little deeper than just earned runs.

I'm not judging it only on earned runs. Vargas didn't have his best stuff today. I'm not saying it was a great start. It was decent because he limited the damage.

Quote:
Why is it people defend Sheets' win totals because he played on bad teams? I know there are plenty of other stud pitchers (on bad teams) out there who win a lot of ball games because they simply allow fewer runs than their opponent.

people have posted examples over and over and over again that this simply isn't true but since you seem to hate Sheets you bring it up all the time but its simply not true.

Also if Vargas pitches like this on a regular basis he's goign to give up a lot of runs, just because he managed to get out of it today doesn't mean he can on a regular basis, he just got lucky today. Hitters still get out 60%+ of the time, you are going to strand your share of runners but you certainly cannot count on it and when you live behind in the count with runners on a lot you aren't going to be effective.

Archived