Brewer Fanatic

4/29/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Astros (Williams): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Vargas pitched like crap today, then there are going to be alot of angry people for just about every brewer game.

If you're telling me just about every game the pitcher will load the bases 3 innings in a row, yes, I will be angry. Pitchers can't live like that.

Brewers77, you didn't even watch those 5 innings, so you have no idea what it was like dealing with the bases loaded 3 straight innings.

How do you know? I never said that. I said I wanted to read the thread. He got in some jams. He worked out of it. In most games there are going to be 2 or 3 runners on in some inning. The game is usually decided by what is done in these innings.

So now we rate a guy and what "could have" happened? He pitched ok today and maybe got lucky. Trying to say he was bad is just wrong.

He did get pinched some and the defense was shoddy (granted one of the bad plays was by him). He didn't give up any HR's which is his big problem, he wasn't very hittable. He just had some location issues which aren't that normal for him.

I can't say it was a bad start but it certainly wasn't a good one either.

He was beyond bad. It was the worst scoreless 5 innings I have ever heard.

Some of the same people who critique Vargas' 0 runs given up and label it as a 'bad' outing will be the same people who will defend our 'ace' Sheets when he gives up 6 runs (but he gets no run support! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Giving up runs is being too result oriented.

If a pitcher goes out and doesn't K anyone, walks 7 and gives up 7 hits in 5 innings but somehow manages to not give up any runs its still a horrible start because 99% of the time he gets completely destroyed in a start like that.

Now Vargas only gave up 4 hits and he K'd 5, if he only say walks 3 instead of 5 people would be saying it was a pretty good start so for my money 2 extra walks doesn't make it bad, just not good.

Is that like saying a pitcher with a 12-0 record is awesome if they win every game 10-9?

No it's not because, for one, a pitcher's win/loss record is hardly ever indicative of how good the pitcher is. Vargas had his troubles but he still kept his team in the position to win the game. What's bad about that?

Archived