Brewer Fanatic

4/29/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Astros (Williams): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I'm looking forward to skipping the 5th starter again like the good old days.

I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Vargas has been pretty good for the most part, and with Sheets and Bush both struggling, I don't think there is a need to skip anybody at this point.

Yes because the 5th starter is the only pitcher who will struggle.

Every pitcher will have their ups and downs. It's just a matter of how well you get through your downs and the Brewer pitching staff has enough talent to weather their downs.

Right, but Vargas is a 5.00 ERA guy, it makes no sense to me to take starts away from Sheets and the others to give them to Vargas. I'd like to see the best pitchers in the rotation get more starts than the worst one.

I don't see any reason to worry about Sheets and Bush, but I am worried about the extra leash they are going to give Vargas when he turns back into a pumpkin.

Quote:
I don't think that Gwynn is an every day player, but I do think he is our best option for a leadoff hitter, if that makes any sense. haha

Sort of. I understand he fits the mold of a true leadoff hitter. But he needs to learn how to draw a walk and get that OBP at least in the .370 range befoe he can really be an effective leadoff man. If that happens, it is possible that within 1-2 years when Jenkins and Mench are very possibly gone, it's potentially possible that we could see Hall move to left and Gwynn put in center everyday, if he continues to develop and improve.

But as of right now, he's a situational player, that's it. A good one, yes, but he's not a starter at this point.

Quote:
Right, but Vargas is a 5.00 ERA guy, it makes no sense to me to take starts away from Sheets and the others to give them to Vargas. I'd like to see the best pitchers in the rotation get more starts than the worst one.

I don't see any reason to worry about Sheets and Bush, but I am worried about the extra leash they are going to give Vargas when he turns back into a pumpkin.

Couple reasons. First off, it's beneficial to every starter in the rotation to get that extra day off. Over the course of the whole season, that may make the difference for a guy like Capuano who historically seems to wear down around September.

Secondly, I think we may be able to expect more out of Vargas. Maybe a 4.25 - 4.50 ERA type pitcher, which is very good for a #5 starter.

Anyway, I think Vargas is doing well enough not to be skipped right now, so I don't have a problem with them riding the hot hand. If he starts struggling, they've got options -- they can skip some of his starts, or promote Villanueva to the starting rotation.

That's the luxury of having a guy in the bullpen (Villy) who can be an effective starter, too. We won't have to go back through last years Hendrickson/Eveland saga. In any event, Vargas won't get a tremendously long leash, obviously if he starts getting roughed up they may make some changes, but so far, it's going alright. Seems to have it today, at least so far in the 4th.

Archived