Brewer Fanatic

The Happening and all things M. Night Shyamalan

Menotti80

Seeing as how there have not been many good movies lately, I am strating to really look forward to M. Night Shyamalan's newest movie "The Happening" even more. The movie comes out June 13th and stars Mark Wahlberg. Shyamalan's movies always look intriguing from watching the trailers, and this movie is no different.

I am a big M. Night fan, and my favorite movies by him were The Village, Signs, and the Sixth Sense.

Is anyone else pumped for this movie to come out???

His last one was unwatchable.

I thought the Village was unwatchable as well.

*** Spoliers of The Village***

I've talked with a bunch of people that have hated The Village. I think it was phenomenal and one of the very few movies I actually own. I am convinced that the reason people didn't like it was because they were basically tricked into thinking it was going to be a scary/horror movie set in old times about creatures in the woods; and in reality, the elder people in the community during the present time made up a myth about these creatures to keep people from being exposed to a modern society filled with violence, etc.

how is that not an awesome concept for a movie? that and the acting was very well done, and the musical score was great too.

i will always be convinced that the people that didn't appreciate the movie are just mad they were duped. i was one of them at first, but i realized after how brilliant it was

His last one was unwatchable.

I thought the Village was unwatchable as well.

how is that not an awesome concept for a movie? that and the acting was very well done, and the musical score was great too.

i will always be convinced that the people that didn't appreciate the movie are just mad they were duped. i was one of them at first, but i realized after how brilliant it was

That is exactly why I didnt like it. I would guess you are right.

i will always be convinced that the people that didn't appreciate the movie are just mad they were duped.

I was thoroughly duped by The Sixth Sense, and I love that movie.

I just thought the Village was horrible, probably up there with Pearl Harbor on my list of "Movies I would like to shoot in the face".

I told my wife halfway through the movie -- these people better not be a bunch of isolated nutjobs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
His movies have gotten progressively worse since 6th Sense. Although I did enjoy Signs. Lady in the Water was awful.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Did anybody read that book about him that came out a year or two ago? He seems to be a bit of a nut, it's a very interesting read.

edit: It's called "The Man Who Heard Voices"

As for his movies, I liked Unbreakable best. The Sixth Sense and Signs are OK too, though I felt the twists were kind of lame (why would aliens that are poisoned by water want to invade a planet that is covered in it and where it falls regularly from the sky?).

I haven't watched the village (or the other one) because I heard how the village ended and it just seems like such a cliche that I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

The Happening is M. Night's first R rated movie. We shall see how it turns out.

I, too disliked The Village. Keeping with the dialogue of the film, it should have been named "The Movie in Which I Should Not Have Seen"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I will say that I think MNS is a better director than a writer. He is really good at building suspense and is willing to be patient and take his time in order to get the desired effect.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

unil he makes a movie that doesn't have a "twist" ending, I will continue to not be surprised by the twist..

SIGNS really doesn't have a "twist" ending. At least not how I define a twist.

I do agree that he's been too busy trying to recreate the ending of THE SIXTH SENSE. He has strengths working with actors and creating atmosphere and his more deliberate pacing and editing stands out in an industry that seems to want to imitate Michael Bay endlessly. And I appreciate that he wants to write original screenplays.

I'd like to see him maybe adapt a few stories for a change. He'd be well suited to remaking the Quatermass series, for example.

Robert

I liked Unbreakable, and also enjoyed The Village. I fail to see a twist in Signs either, and it was Lady in the Water that was horrible. After finishing it, I went to the Wiki page to see if I had missed something that would have made it make an iota of sense...nope.

'd like to see him maybe adapt a few stories for a change. He'd be well suited to remaking the Quatermass series, for example.

He is slated to directed the live-action adaptations of the Nick animated series Avatar: the Last Airbender...my son is a fan and I've become somewhat hooked myself. I think the first comes out in 2009 or 2010. The vision and writing of the animated series are very strong IMO, and the co-creators are apparently very involved with the cinematic adaptations. I am hopeful that having good source material to work from will free MNS to do what he does well. Because, yeah, his writing has become increasingly strained from what I can see, well beyond the point where it made any sense.

Archived