Brewer Fanatic

4/30/07 Cardinals (Wells) @ Brewers (Suppan): 6:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm intrigued because if my memory serves me correctly the Cards were playing the Cubs on Saturday when Darryl Kile died and the game was not postponed at all. It may have been a home game for the Cubs, but still interesting.

SgtClueLs, after hearing your record at Miller Park, please hand those tickets right back to the boss.

I think that ESPN (in an eerie, selfish way) will internally love the fact they chose to broadcast this game. Even if you're not a Cardinal or Brewers fan, you still might tune in to see how this Cardinals team rebounds from the tragedy early yesterday morning. It should be a ratings boom for them. Add to it the fact they're playing against Jeff Suppan, a former teammate of Hancock, they will make sure to emphasize the effect this is having on his pitching performance.

Again, not trying to sound cold, but I hope the game (against two good division rivals) isn't overshadowed by this. I know there's going to be a moment of silence before the game, and there should be, but I hope the announcers don't just talk about the grief and tragedy for nine innings. I'm going to be watching tonight to see baseball (and hopefully a Brewers win), not a wake.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

While respectful for Hancock's family and their loss, there is some good to come from the Brewers being the Cardinals next opponent, and the game being on ESPN.

- Increased tune-in could serve as a coming-out party of sorts, especially if the Brewers break out the hitting sticks.

- More Erin Andrews.

- ESPN announcers should have good words to say about the organization and the Milwaukee fans (provided there are some nice signs in the stands, like during the Cleveland games).

Hoping for a good game tonight, although I can't help but wonder how Suppan will pitch against his old team after one of his WS teammates suddenly passes. (I can't imagine how emotional this game would be for him if he hadn't already faced the Cardinals in St. Louis earlier this month.)

I feel horrible for the Cards and their baseball family, and as one of my most hated teams, I can't believe I just typed that. I have experienced the loss of a work-family member and it is not easy to just swallow and keep going, but that is what we did. I think ESPN will have the class to remember JH at the begining of the telecast, and then the professionalism to do the baseball game the way it is always done. I also hope Soup wins this one for Hancock.

I do feel bad for the Cards and wish them the best. That said I really want the Crew to show a national audience that we are not the Brewers of old. I hope the bats come alive and we put together a nice victory.

if my memory serves me correctly the Cards were playing the Cubs on Saturday when Darryl Kile died and the game was not postponed at all.

I thought they postponed that Saturday game. The start was delayed and Wrigley was already full of fans who were wondering why, when Joe Girardi came out and announced what happened.

I believe we were on our way to a game at MP when the news came over the radio. And it wasn't too long after that when the Brewers and Cardinals played.

(Pause to look at 2002 magnet schedule which is on the side of my metal desk - yea, verily, I am a nerd when it comes to little Brewer details)

Yeah. Kile died on June 22 and the Cards hosted the Brewers June 25-27.

Edit: They did postpone the Saturday game, but not the Sunday game (which Kile was supposed to have started):

Link

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

- Increased tune-in could serve as a coming-out party of sorts, especially if the Brewers break out the hitting sticks.

- More Erin Andrews.

- ESPN announcers should have good words to say about the organization and the Milwaukee fans (provided there are some nice signs in the stands, like during the Cleveland games).

Im down with all that. Hopefully they really break out the sticks tonight and Suppan pitches a great game gets to 4-2.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Games sure have felt different this year. Going into a new series, I'm used to thinking, "Well, if the Brewers can get lucky and sweep this team, they'll only be 5 under!" Not as hard to find things to be optimistic about right now. Hope that keeps up.

Quote:
Games sure have felt different this year. Going into a new series, I'm used to thinking, "Well, if the Brewers can get lucky and sweep this team, they'll only be 5 under!" Not as hard to find things to be optimistic about right now. Hope that keeps up.

This is exactly how I feel Rluz. I'm used to thinking "Hmmm, OK if we somehow sweep this series and the Cards and Reds get swsept, we'll be back in the division race (which was like 4 games back or something). It's kind of nice so far this year.

"Braden Looper: Ace??? This would be a good time for him to start his precipitous regression to the mean."

Amen, brother. Same way I felt about facing "Cy" Hill and the Cubs last week. This ain't gonna last; we might as well be the team that rains on his parade.

wOOgiE22 is getting way too much love lately. In the spirit of being contrary, I say you stink. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Quote:
any guesses on attendance tonight ? and the 10 game homestand ?

Around 12

Brewer fans turn out to be so surprised that the Brewers are playing on ESPN and all opt to stay home and watch the game there, out of sheer confusion, rather than going to Miller Park

Archived