Brewer Fanatic

Inguinal Hernia Surgery -- one week later

Samurai Bucky

It was one week ago today they wheeled me into surgery to take care of a double hernia. They used the scope, but I was anticipating a boat load of pain. I had heard some horror stories of how people were down for the count for two or even four weeks because the pain was so bad. I have had two surgeries on my forearm including a removal of the radial head and that was pretty painful. However, I was anticipating the worst.

I thought back to what the doctor said when he gave me the rundown of what he was going to do: "Since we are using the scope, you should be able to walk in standing straight up. However, with the double hernia, I don't know exactly how you will be."

One week later, I couldn't be happier. On a scale of pain being from 1 to 10 (10 being unbearable), my pain never got over a 3. It would be a 3 when I would try to get up out of bed the day after surgery. Some nice medicine took care of that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. I probably also pushed it a little bit too much by going to the Brewer game on Saturday and coaching a soccer game on Sunday. I didn't move around much even when I coached.

I have my one-week follow-up appointment today. Hopefully he confirms how I feel. I still have 7 weeks to go until I can start working out and biking again. Still, I'm happy with how things have gone.

Sounds like you had an easier time than I did. I had the same surgery last summer, though not a double. The first night after the surgery was horrible. I think I vomited about six times from the pain medication I was on, and actually blacked out and fell over in our hallway as I was leaving the bathroom, banging my head against a railing and giving myself a bloody nose in the process. After that, they told me to stop taking the pain medication they had prescribed and just take ibuprofren. I was back to work about a week and a half later (on a light schedule, a benefit of being self-employed), but I didn't fully get over the soreness for several weeks after that.

Anyway, glad to hear you are doing so well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived