Brewer Fanatic

Smiley Face Serial Killer(s)?

mikevan1818

I had the TV on this morning - wasn't really paying attention - until I looked up and saw a picture of one of the students from La Crosse that had drowned in the Mississippi River while I went to school there. They were doing a story about how a few retired NYPD officers believe that about 40 cases of people drowning around the country could be linked. They have found different links - such as smiley faces graffitied close to the spot where the people are thought to be going into the water. I did a little search to find any articles about it and found this:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s421846.shtml?v=1

http://a11news.com/57/smiley-face-murders/

I didn't catch the whole story - and haven't had a whole lot of time to really read through the articles. However, I know while my time at La Crosse 2 students drowned - and it is a topic of interest for many people around the state that knew the kids that tragically died. I have no opinion on the Smiley Face killer yet - but it does caught my eye and I thought I'd share.

"I think it is a serial killer, but not one individual. I would just say, a group of individuals, probably located in more than one state," Duarte said, adding that he thinks they may kill again.

I'm sorry but that's pretty much a joke. I just dont get how it's always "Intelligent, well-liked, athletic" males, but they don't mention some of these guys are found with BACs of like .2 or .3 or something. I'm not stereotyping or anything but maybe some people that fit that category drink too much sometimes and happen to be at bars very close to open waters without much fencing around it? I obviously feel terrible for all of those who have drowned and their families, but I just think some of the familes can't accept that maybe their sons had too much to drink.

It is difficult though when you are in the situation to say things like, ohh it was probably an accident that happened while the person was drinking. A kid drowned while I was at LaCrosse and to say it was probably alchol related was like walking on egg shells. Incedently I've never understood this expression. Why do you have to be careful while your walking on them egg shells. I mean, who cares, they are already broken, stomp on those egg shells.

Just out of curiosity; those that are brushing this off as just a bunch of drunk college party boys.

Have you read the details that these detective feel make these cases similar? How are the smiley faces that have been found explained.? Why do some of the "drowning" victims have very little water in their lungs? Why was the name of a street in Dubuque Iowa found at the scene of a Minnesota death, and the next death was on that street in Dubuque?

Lastly, would the comments be the same, if this involved forty co-eds with blonde hair?

Lastly, would the comments be the same, if this involved forty co-eds with blonde hair?

No, because co-eds with blonde hair are not nearly as likely to drink themselves in a stupor, insist they are fine and wander off on their own as "macho, manly" athletes are.

Stevo: I think thats exactly why some are blowing this off...."been there , done that", just a drunk kid falling off a bridge, or walking into a river. But more than a few of these victims had blood alcohol contents that were well below "stupor" level.

I haven't been following closely, so forgive me if this has been answered, but: When, exactly, are authorities finding these smiley faces? If it's immediately after the death/disappearance, then I suppose there could be something to it. But if you go back weeks or months later, it could be anything. (I mean, I could visit all of these sites and paint a big scarlet Rutgers "R," but that doesn't mean I'm running an RU gang and killing people.)

They have only found 4 smiley faces. It's not like they were at every site.

On top of that this story was circulated on the first two days of sweeps, the detectives who are pushing this theory also claim they have enough evidence to make an arrest yet they are also on record soliciting funds to continue their investigation.

Another interesting note is the reporter who "broke" this report doesn't even care if the detectives are right. Wha? At least she is getting appearances on 20/20, ABC, and MSNBC to fill that integrity void though.

those that are brushing this off as just a bunch of drunk college party boys.

Have you read the details that these detective feel make these cases similar?

No, but I've read the reports from the detectives that were actually there on the scenes and read the medical examiner's report. I'll take those reports as superior to some report done after the fact and that did not examine the bodies or the crime scenes at the time of the incidents.

I also went to UW-L, and just about every year one or two kids would end up in the River. It isnt a murderer, it is drunk guys falling over, only when they do they fall into the River and they are too drunk and disoriented to do anything about it.

The really sad thing here is, the smiley faces look nothing alike, and are not even at the right places. The detectives are "guessing" the smileys are located at or near where the body was dumped, but needless to say, proof is lacking.

As with all conspiracy theories, the answer seems rather simple, to all but a few. I suppose I would be "looking at all the possibilities" if it were my son or relative who drowned, but when they have blackout level BAC and the campus is a few blocks from the river, goodness, it's a 5 minute Murder She Wrote.

Tragic things happen to those who abuse alcohol and drugs. I'm not sure why folks are trying to figure out the obvious.

I haven't heard this story yet but I'm fairly familiar with the serial killer pushing people into the river thing. I do think there is some odd coincidences but yea in the end it's most likely drunks falling into the river on accident. Guess it's worth checking out just in case.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree that the serial killer thing is far fetched but even in my most drunken stupors I never fell down while urinating. I guess I'd be interested to see the spots they are falling into the water - maybe it's a blind drop off or something.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Or are you just refering to the LaX cases

Just the LaX cases. Also, I've reviewed the reports from kids that claim the 'serial killer' was after them, but all turned out to be lame excuses for 'I got too drunk and drove my car/bike/fell into the river being stupid so I made up a serial killer to try to get out of trouble'.

Archived