Brewer Fanatic

Cameron: not a "sure" fix

Greg Vaughn
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listen....I want him to be successful and improve our club offensively....I just don't see it happening. Those who think he's going to be "THE ANSWER" are going to be sorely disappointed.

Let me start by saying it's always a pet peeve of mine when someone says that everyone who doesn't think like I do is going to be sorely disappointed.

I've yet to read anyone say that they thought Mike Cameron would be Albert Pujols. I think what people expect is a steady influence in the clubhouse, a steady influence in the lineup, and a guy who hits for a little pop, can run and draws some walks.

Second, it's real easy to simply point to his numbers from last year and say that he's not a good offensive player. One year does not mean he's on the decline. He's a solid player who should surpass those numbers as A-they were low for his average year, and B-because he's no longer in the NL West and namely Petco park.

He's a good player who could give us a boost, and this has nothing to do with the fact that he's had a nice game so far. Using tonights game is more absurd than pointing to last years BA to say that he's not the answer. I expect .265 or so, .350 or so, 20/20 and great defense, and that's not enough to carry this team, but it's a nice shot in the arm over Gwynn and Kapler as it's turned midnight on Gabe, and Gwynn just isn't a big leaguer starter at the moment.

Edit-I didn't see the 2-hole comment. Exactly who do you want in there? No I only read your comment, so I'm sure someone else has made this argument, but who do you want hitting in that 2 hole on this current team? Of course who other than Corey Hart as he's too valuable in the 5 spot and really not much better if any than Cameron in the 2 hole.

I like Hart batting behind Prince. Prince needs better protection than Hall.

And, I like the order the way Ned has it, if he has to hit the pitcher 8th. Any lineup that doesn't have Hall and Cameron back to back is fine with me.

If Ned were to put the pitcher in the nine hole, I'd like Kendall batting second, with Hardy splitting Hall and Cameron.

I really thought his first at bat would be a home run, and it looks like he thought it too. It would be nice if he had a few more of these games this year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I've always been a Mike Cameron fan - just a player who knows how to play the game. He may not be the best hitter in the world, but I do think he is a perfect compliment to the young talent on the roster. Quite a debut, and a great night for the offense.

For those pointing to last year as a sign that Cameron is falling apart it really was just a bad April which he played with a bad hamstring. His numbers from May 1st on last year were very good.

467 AB, 118 H, 81 R, 28 2B, 6 3B, 21 HR, 74 RBI, 58 BB, 131 K, 16 SB, 5 CS

.253/.341/.473/.815 playing in the biggest pitchers park in baseball.

Gopher74 wrote:

I've yet to read anyone say that they thought Mike Cameron would be Albert Pujols. I think what people expect is a steady influence in the clubhouse, a steady influence in the lineup, and a guy who hits for a little pop, can run and draws some walks.

Second, it's real easy to simply point to his numbers from last year and say that he's not a good offensive player. One year does not mean he's on the decline. He's a solid player who should surpass those numbers as A-they were low for his average year, and B-because he's no longer in the NL West and namely Petco park.

He's a good player who could give us a boost, and this has nothing to do with the fact that he's had a nice game so far. Using tonights game is more absurd than pointing to last years BA to say that he's not the answer. I expect .265 or so, .350 or so, 20/20 and great defense, and that's not enough to carry this team, but it's a nice shot in the arm over Gwynn and Kapler as it's turned midnight on Gabe, and Gwynn just isn't a big leaguer starter at the moment.

Edit-I didn't see the 2-hole comment. Exactly who do you want in there? No I only read your comment, so I'm sure someone else has made this argument, but who do you want hitting in that 2 hole on this current team? Of course who other than Corey Hart as he's too valuable in the 5 spot and really not much better if any than Cameron in the 2 hole.

Thanks for educating me Gopher. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I wasn't attempting to "just" use last years BA...to describe his hitting ability. I feel he's at best a .260 hitter at this stage of his career. In twelve years in the majors he's only hit above .270 once and .265 three times.

I like is OBP and ability to take pitches, however, I'm trying to point out that his flaws, mirror many we already have on our team. That ='s high strike out, low avg. guys. I'm glad he's on our team and believe he makes us better, just don't think it's going to be quite as drastic as some would make it seem. I was being purposly dramatic with the "Albert Pujols" analogy, however, I saw numerous statements and threads talking about just basically "staying afloat" until Cameron comes back.

I liked what I saw last night, I hope he and the team can keep it up offensively. Nice work boys.

I'm most looking forward to Cameron's defense in CF. He is a definite upgrade from Gwynn/Kapler offensively and defensively, though Kapler filled in quite nicely for April. He's not going to SOLV our offensive WOAHs but I think he will make some key plays in CF and have some key ABs in crucial situations. If Weeks starts to hit, watch out.

• 2 weeks later...
1. I'm sorry bub....but the #2 hitters job is not to drive in runs...it's to get on base for #2-#5.

2. I didn't say I wanted the 2 hitter to "bunt".

Although ideally if the #1 guy always got on base, would you not prefer the #2 guy trying to drive him in when given the opportunity rather than just getting on base and hoping your #3-5 drives them in?

Rp

Archived