Brewer Fanatic

Best Allergy Medicine

NeedMoreFans
To all allergy sufferers out there...what is the best medicine to take to get rid of symptoms? I'm sure I'm not the only one, but my spring allergies have been kicking my butt this week, especially now that leaves are popping out on the trees. Right now, I'm taking a Claritin every day and have some nose spray, but neither have been able to tackle the suffering that is going on right now.

I tried Zyrtec today for the first time, after taking generic Benadryl for quite some time; I had taken Allegra before that, which worked really well, but our insurance stopped covering it. Today is the best I've been in a while as far as allergies go--so far, I give Zyrtec the thumbs up for allergy relief.

Community Moderator

I have really bad tree pollen allergies. Mine started about 2 weeks ago, the first warm day where there was a wind from the south.

I've tried Claritin, Allegra, Flonase, and Zyrtec. Flonase works the best, but it only last about 2-3 hours and you're only supposed to use it twice per day. Zyrtec makes me drowsy and doesn't relieve any symptoms as far as I can tell. The best success I have had is with a pill combined with a nasal spray.

Today was not a good day to test allergy medications, I didn't take anything today and had no problems, the pollen count was probably really low (they only measure on weekdays). When the pollen count for trees is "high" or "severe", I have never found anything that works effectively. Thus, my conclusion is that the best allergy medication is rain, because it washes all the pollen out of the air.

doa, I think you're thinking of Pseudophedrine. That's what is in Claritin-D and Allegra-D, and it's also the reason you have to go to the pharmacy with your DL to get those medications.

I used to take Claritin-D, then regular Claritin, and now I take regular Allegra. It hasn't been working all that well, but I think that's partially because I just had surgery on my nose 3 weeks ago and it's still a little swollen (not a nose job, btw). I'm actually excited to see how my allergies are when I'm fully healed.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived