Brewer Fanatic

Bush Optioned to clear spot for Cameron

TSack27
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Turnbow still on this team? I don't know what else he has to do for us to finally get rid of him.

I'll be danged if I can understand that one either.

Because he's making $3.2 million and they don't want to pay him to go to another NL team, only to have him strike out the side against the Brewers two weeks later. Remember, this is an offense that can no longer hit......

Because he's making $3.2 million and they don't want to pay him to go to another NL team, only to have him strike out the side against the Brewers two weeks later.
As opposed to paying him 3.2 million to blow games for us? I don't know about you or anyone else but I'm not counting on Turnbow getting his act together here. I think both sides would be best suited moving on.

Maybe we just need re-sign Matt Wise.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

I would have rather kept Wise and let Turnbow go over the winter. I think Doug tried to trade him, what with all that work talking him up all winter, but it didn't work out. I'm inclined to agree with you, Mr. QL, Turnbow seems more valuable to the Brewers off the team than on it.

I don't know if this should be in the minor league forum, but when is Bush's first schedule start with the Sounds?

I don't know, but my guess would be Tuesday, to keep him on the same schedule as Sheets.

This is same sort of logic that keeps Yost from letting Rivera PH. If a Brewer starter gets hurt on Monday, and Bush pitches on Sat, Sun or Monday in Nash., he can't help out the Brewers. If this is the reason they sent Bush down, I think it is a bad one.

Let's say Bush pitches on a Saturday in AAA. Sheets pitches on Monday and has to leave the game with (insert medical condition you've never seen any player have before). We won't need the replacement until the next start on Saturday, so we can have Bush either not pitch for the week or pitch him for only a couple of innings on Tuesday and bring him up to pitch Saturday. He could come in right away as a starter already stretched out. And if Bush was in the bullpen, you now have one less RP during the week, a week in which your SP had to leave a game early.

Two down, Turnbow and Gwynn to go.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Point 2. Instead of mandating two games a week for Counsell, we should have two games a week managed by someone other than Ned Yost.

You mean like the 5 starts he's got all season? He has started twice each at SS and 3B and 1 time at 2B giving the players he backs up days off. Now I may not always agree with it the day of, but if Ned is giving his starters sporadic days off to keep them fresh for the entire season I really don't have a problem with it. To me it is a logical idea to keep our starters fresh for the marathon that is a baseball season... I mean, not everybody is Cal Ripken Jr.

As long as Counsell keeps his obp around where it's at now I have no problem with him starting a couple times a week. He should be a Sunday regular, and with all the day games after night games going on right now, it makes sense to use him in the middle of the week too.

While I think you can make a strong case for sending Parra or Villanueva to AAA instead of Bush (especially Parra, who I assume has a cap on his IP), I really feel that getting rid of Turnbow as he's scuffling for a month would not be the right move.

I understand why everyone's calling for Turnbow's head, but I think the fact of the matter is that *nobody* in that bullpen is dependable. They have a handful of guys who *could* be good this year. Half of them (Turnbow, Gagne, Riske) have struggled so far, and even the ones who aren't (Mota, Torres) were pretty awful just last year.

(I, for one, will be rooting for each and every one of them, every time out. Especially Turnbow)

I feel like the definition of what's "dependable" has gotten thrown way out of whack (not aimed at you, joshjs). There's really no team in MLB that has any more than one RP of what many here are deeming 'dependable'. I think the Crew has one of the best 'pens in the NL, hence the strong record despite pedestrian offense.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not trying to start any controversy but no one claimed him. It just goes to show he is overated on this site. Hopefully he can go down and work things out and come back later in the year.

Turnbow is still here only because of his contract. I also guarantee someone would claim Mclung. Parra and Villaneuva are better pitchers. Really wasn't that hard a decision.

Not trying to start any controversy but no one claimed him. It just goes to show he is overated on this site. Hopefully he can go down and work things out and come back later in the year.

Teams didn't bother claiming him because the Brewers would've just pulled him back and gotten rid of Turnbow or McClung.

Teams didn't bother claiming him because the Brewers would've just pulled him back and gotten rid of Turnbow or McClung.

Just because Gord Ash tells Haudricourt that, doesn't mean its true or that that was the case in this instance. And if your scenario were true, a team could take a shot at getting McClung by claiming Bush.

Formerly AKA Pete

Just because Gord Ash tells Haudricourt that, doesn't mean its true or that that was the case in this instance. And if your scenario were true, a team could take a shot at getting McClung by claiming Bush.

In this case it is true though. Think about it. If you're GM of a team and you see the Brewers put him on revocable waivers would you even bother claiming him knowing that they're most likely going to just take him off? Yeah I suppose you could say that they could force the Brewers hand and make them put McClung or Turnbow on waivers but they suck and most teams aren't going to want either of them.

Bush, and most every player in MLB, was put through waivers the first week of the season, and I doubt a single player was claimed. It never fails to amaze me how no one understands how roster moves work.

No conspiracy theory, it's just the way it works.

Nah, keep Turnbow. He's the perfect guy to mop up throw-away innings the rest of the season. Only reason he's pitched in meaningful situations lately is because the team has only been in meaningful situations the last three weeks. Bush is fine in the minors. He'll be back up within a few months. At least he's not Claudio Vargas.

Elcaballo, I'm not really sure that Parra is a better major league pitcher right now. He simply has to be able to throw more than 5 innings at least somewhat often, which he hasn't been able to do in five starts. You can't really count on your bullpen giving you 4 strong innings every five days.

It's rare that I like an established starting pitcher in the bullpen. I don't mind it for rookies, it's an easy way to get their feet wet. However this is one of those rare circumstances I would have rather Bush was going to the pen. Even though Bush didn't pitch well out of the pen last year, I would have liked to see him go out there and be effective. I dont have the venom for him being sent down to AAA as some other's do, but I'm curious why it was him. I really like Parra, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to get sent down and recenter himself...

The Vargas move didn't bother me because I honestly couldn't stand to watch a game he pitched, but I've always liked the way Bush carried himself, but long term there are better options in the starting rotation than Dave.

I reserve the right to get worked up if Dillon isn't recalled and pitcher optioned optioned from the bullpen in the near future. Dillon is a much better hitter than either Gabe or Tony....

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I was just wondering if this was the same bush that most wanted sent away for good. early on in the year? The guy has been killed around here and now there is talk and actual controversy as to him being sent down. I find it funny seeing all the talk of him in the other thread, especially the game threads. I would have preferred Parra but tthought I would chime from what I have read and seen in past threads.

Elcaballo, I'm not really sure that Parra is a better major league pitcher right now. He simply has to be able to throw more than 5 innings at least somewhat often, which he hasn't been able to do in five starts. You can't really count on your bullpen giving you 4 strong innings every five days.

True. However, Parra is a better pitcher in the long run. If we are going to pitch one of them, and basically get the same thing. I would it rather be Parra because he has the better chance of turning into something above avg.

Archived