Brewer Fanatic

Bush Optioned to clear spot for Cameron

TSack27
i know all are going to hate this, but up to today McClung had pitched pretty good, in fact i had more faith in him then i did Turnbow and for that matter Riske as of late. McClung is closer to a MLB pitcher then Turnbow is by far.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His 07 form wouldn't help this team?

Nope. I wouldn't take 07 Turnbow on my team.

Wow. You've got the most impressive bullpen in the game then.

However, the Milwaukee Brewers don't. And as such, they could very much use the 2007 Derrick Turnbow.

I didn't have to much of a problem with 2007 Turnbow. Had a few bad games but for the most party was a good setup guy for Cordero I thought.

He absolutely was. The numbers aren't exact, but it was something like a 1.55 ERA in 70 of his outings, and a 77.40 in 7 of his outings. When he blew up, he blew up pretty bad, but for the most part, he was very good. Led the league in scourless outings as well. Great BAA...

Saying you wouldn't want him as your SU, fine. Saying he wasn't good enough to be on the team at all? Like I said, a bullpen that the 07 DT wasn't good enough for is a great BP. Sadly we do not have a great BP.

i know all are going to hate this, but up to today McClung had pitched pretty good, in fact i had more faith in him then i did Turnbow and for that matter Riske as of late. McClung is closer to a MLB pitcher then Turnbow is by far.

McClung pitched 7 2/3 innings before today, I'm sorry but you can't really formulate an opinion on him either way.

I guess I am more shocked that Parra wasn't sent down than getting rid of Turnbow or McClung. Parra is going to have to start getting deeper into games pretty quick. If the bullpen is run down, Dave Bush can take one for the team, Parra can't(At least he shouldn't).

Before today's game, I thought it would be Parra and Stetter going down for Cameron and Dillon. Stetter has made a pretty good case to stay up though. I guess I have always thought a change of scenery would be good for Turnbow, but I felt if he could be the same pitcher he was most of last year, he would be more valuable to the team than a trade. I think I have finally swayed to think it just isn't going to happen. Yost is reluctant to use him in key situations, and we don't have many blow outs happening. He isn't going to get enough chances to ever really get back into a groove.

When I read the thread title, I thought Melvin had lost his mind. I think people are right to say that Melvin wants to keep Bush stretched out, however. Makes sense, although it's a shame that Turnbow and McClung will be logging major league innings and Bush won't. That just isn't right.

McClung pitched 7 2/3 innings before today, I'm sorry but you can't really formulate an opinion on him either way.

Fans do it all the time, then act surprised when they go back, to pitching like they always have. Heck, Yost does it all the time as well. Stetter was supposed to be a LOOGY but now Yost is going to use him in general situations. That is, until he predictably blows up and then he'll be a LOOGY again.

When he blew up, he blew up pretty bad, but for the most part, he was very good.

By my count he had 16 bad outings.

Led the league in scourless outings as well.

This does not mean what you want it to. He had a scoreless outing today....

Saying you wouldn't want him as your SU, fine.

He let 85% of his inherited runners score.

Saying he wasn't good enough to be on the team at all?

I don't think he is good enough to be put in games that the Brewers could conceivably win -- and I would bet DM & NY agree with me based on their usage of Turnbow last year. Is he good enough to pitch garbage innings? You bet! -- but at $3.3M -- I'd pass.

The bottom line was that the 07 Turnbow wasn't good enough to pitch in meaningful games in 2007, why that clown gets a roster spot at the expense of Bush is beyond me.

I can live with this...

the team has shown adesire to keep the best players in the fold---which they've shown by keeping the youth up and in important roles over the veterans...villy, parra, now stetter...this shows a desire to win and not hold back anymore..

sure, turnbow and mcclung suck, but one should be gone after sheets demonstates his health and the other won't thow any meaningful innings...

and bush is ready to come back up and start the moment someone breaks down...

its a smart move...just not the kind of move we as brewer fans are used to seeing...

the fact that we now have two major leaguers pitching in AAA reveals unbelievable depth...our AAA rotation is likely better than some mlb rotations at this point...especially if vargas could have somehow been kept

The numbers aren't exact, but it was something like a 1.55 ERA in 70 of his outings, and a 77.40 in 7 of his outings. When he blew up, he blew up pretty bad, but for the most part, he was very good. Led the league in scourless outings as well. Great BAA...

Inherited runners were TBow's problem. If you only look at ERA you can miss a lot about pitchers. And don't forget his horrific BB rate from '07 -- 6.1 BB/9. 6.1!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bush should be back at some point. Parra will most likely have to go to the pen for a month or so at some point. Of course, if he continues to only go 5 innings a start, he can go 33 starts and only reach 165 innings.

Of course, if he continues to only go 5 innings a start, he can go 33 starts and only reach 165 innings.

Then again if the Brewers plan on taking Manny to the playoffs with them (knock on wood), he'd still be almost maxed out that way. If Parra stays healthy and the Brewers are intent on keeping him in Milwaukee, there's no scenario in which he doesn't go to the pen for at least a month.

its a smart move...just not the kind of move we as brewer fans are used to seeing...

I disagree, -- on both counts.

the fact that we now have two major leaguers pitching in AAA reveals unbelievable depth...

the fact we have 2 major league pitchers in AAA, and Turnbow/McClung in the major leagues makes my brain cry.

Someone has either lost their mind, or is baiting BF.net.

The move makes sense. The team wants Bush to continue working as a starter, they didn't just tell you they think Turnbow or McClung have more value than Bush, they just told you they aren't going to carry 6 starting pitchers in Milwaukee, and that Bush was the guy the decided to send down.

When Dillon comes back, either McClung or Turnbow are history - if that does not happen, I'll join in the criticism.

Oh, by the way, getting Mike Cameron back is positively huge.

I disagree, -- on both counts.

the fact that we now have two major leaguers pitching in AAA reveals unbelievable depth...

the fact we have 2 major league pitchers in AAA, and Turnbow/McClung in the major leagues makes my brain cry.

Someone has either lost their mind, or is baiting BF.net.

Bush has nothing to do with the RP, I don't get what the issue is. If we make Bush a RP then if a SP gets hurt we have Narveson or Weaver starting for us while Bush gets stretched out in the minors to start. That is much more scary to me than McClung pitching junk innings in the 5th/6th.

Hopefully Turnbow is traded or released to bring us down to 12 pitchers since he is absolutely useless.

havent lost my mind..

i think the team has 11 capable pitchers without bush, turnbow, or mcclung...

i don't want tbow or mcclung throwing meaningful innings, and this is afurther step to keep that from happening...when the team returns to 12 pitchers after sheets start, one of those guys will be gone...then we will have 11 good pitchers and a mop up guy....

i'd much rather use tbow or mcclung when we are down four than waste bush in that role...bush needs to be kept as an alternative to a hurt starter and that's what they are doing...

i would have sent parra down, but its hard to argue that he's more deserving of being sent down than bush...the team is trying to win and prepare for more...

i guess i'm surprised that you are so insulted by this move...it's not a huge deal...besides, bush has been below expectations for a couple hundred innings now...clearly, the team is trying to focus the most work on the best players...

so, don't blame this move on the gm...if things go badly, it will be because ned misuses his options...and truthfully,

Oh, by the way, getting Mike Cameron back is positively huge.

Who says it isn't.

If we make Bush a RP then if a SP gets hurt we have Narveson or Weaver starting for us while Bush gets stretched out in the minors to start.

This is same sort of logic that keeps Yost from letting Rivera PH. If a Brewer starter gets hurt on Monday, and Bush pitches on Sat, Sun or Monday in Nash., he can't help out the Brewers. If this is the reason they sent Bush down, I think it is a bad one.

That is much more scary to me than McClung pitching junk innings in the 5th/6th.

Keeping McClung on our roster is silly -- given the way he has been used this year. Counting today, McClung has pitched in 5 games, only one of those games could be considered "garbage". Mota has 9 appearances, Turnbow 6, the rest have 12-13 appearances. Putting Bush in our BP upgrades it. Keeping McClung on the roster to pitch one game a week does not make sense to me.

Keeping Bush in AAA so he can leap into our rotation if a pitcher gets hurt, seems logistically improbable to be effective.

Hopefully Turnbow is traded or released to bring us down to 12 pitchers since he is absolutely useless.

Couldn't agree more here.

i don't want tbow or mcclung throwing meaningful innings, and this is a further step to keep that from happening...

No, it's not. Again, McClung has pitched in 5 games -- 4 of those were meaningful innings. If McClung was actually limited to garbage, I'd see your point.

bush needs to be kept as an alternative to a hurt starter and that's what they are doing...

I don't see how this works. In an emergency situation, it will be a function of who pitched last in Nashville, if they slide people up in the rotation, I don't see why Bush couldn't do that from the pen.

i would have sent parra down,

I would have sent Parra down before Bush as well.

if things go badly, it will be because ned misuses his options

fair enough.

Archived