Brewer Fanatic

Bush Optioned to clear spot for Cameron

TSack27
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this has nothing to do with the extra RP. When they released Vargas they tied their hands with the SP going to a bullpen. If they put someone like Bush in the bullpen and a month from now someone gets hurt we end up with Jeff Weaver starting while the bullpen guy stretches out in the minors.

Hopefully we still DFA turnbow soon and bring up Dillon when his 10 days are up.

I think Melvin put most of our players through waivers a few weeks ago so that they could be sent down at any time. He mentioned something about it and said most GM's do it. There is a gentlemen's agreement not to claim anybody. I don't remember exactly where or when I heard it.

I would have thought Parra was the leading candidate to go down.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

OK, timeline:

-Brewers need to clear a roster spot for a starting pitcher

-Brewers decide worst starting pitcher is Bush

-Bush is placed on revocable waivers (due to his 3 years of service time, he must be placed on revocable waivers before being optioned)

-Other teams look at Bush, and decide a)"if we claim him, the Brewers will pull him back off waivers" and b)"if the Brewers pull him off waivers, they might actually get rid of Turnbow or McClung"

-Other teams do not claim Bush

-Bush clears waivers

-Bush is optioned

I guess what I don't understand is why a bottom feeder team doesn't claim him, with their sights actually being on Turnbow or McClung as a reclamation project. Turnbow especially could net a decent prospect at the deadline if he has a good couple month stretch.

Surely, their has to be worse big league pitchers than Turnbow and McClung.

Dave Bush, Jeff Weaver, Zach Jackson, Chris Narveson, Mark DiFelice. What a weird rotation for Nashville.

Here's to hoping Dave dominates AAA like Rickie last year and comes back to Milwaukee with similar results.

And of course, welcome back to the bigs Mike! Start out hot and help kickstart this offense!

This really does suck for Bush. If he spends any significant time in the minors, he'll lose out on a year of service time pushing his free agency date back a year. A free agent at 31 is much different than at 32 so this might kill his shot at that one big contract.

Hopefully he has a granderson type effect on the offense. Weeks sees more good pitches without Gwypler batting behind him, gets on base more and Braun comes out of his funk. Then we'll be onto something.

This is a stupid waiver. How does Turnbow continue to have a job?
He may return to his 2005 form! At least in their minds. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

His 07 form wouldn't help this team?

So the argument is really 06 and a couple games from 08, not the ridiculous suggestion that they're still hoping he'll return to 05 form.

Turnbow's 2007 form is more trouble than it is worth. He was pretty good in April and June. Was servicable in August and bad in May, July and Sept last year. The way he is bad means that he can blow a winnable game in the middle innings or you might get 1 solid inning out of him. I'd rather have someone who gives up 1 R a lot of the time than someone who occassionally gives up 3-4 runs.

I am surprised that Bush was the one sent down. I thought Stetter or Parra were more likely options. Actually, I was wondering if they would send Stetter down, and have Parra replace Stetter as a 2nd lefty that is more than a LOOGY. As others have said, it does make sense to keep all their starters in their roles so that anyone is ready to step in should there be another injury.

His 07 form wouldn't help this team?

So the argument is really 06 and a couple games from 08, not the ridiculous suggestion that they're still hoping he'll return to 05 form.

So he gives you one inning, you can't bring him in with runners on, you can't bring him in on back to back days, when he gets himself in trouble he can't finish the inning. More trouble than he's worth.

Stetter is God!

As others have said, it does make sense to keep all their starters in their roles so that anyone is ready to step in should there be another injury.
I have to imagine that is the reasoning behind this. Obviously, Bush is more valuable than McClung and Turnbow - but this way Bush will remain stretched out (And logging innings is Bush's best trait) in case he is needed.

Although a surprise to me, this move makes sense.

Bush would have been in the eyes of the Brewers a "6th starter" and therefore, have no role on the team. Sending him to AAA gives him regular work as a starting pitcher and I suppose the Brewers could even transform him to a middle relief type guy if that's what they needed. (Which it may very well be at this time)

I would have thought that Manny Parra would be the guy shipped to AAA, but seeing as his ceiling is higher than that of Bush, Manny stays here to get the Major League work.

My initial reaction was knee jerk and I thought the move to be foolish. Examining it further and reading what "And That" has explained, I am comfortable with the move.

Bush is a favorite of mine too, but him going down makes the starting rotation stronger.

This may very well have been the intention this Spring if Gallardo had not gotten hurt.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

They still have 13 pitchers which is one too many. Stetter isn't going anywhere. Shouse, Gagne, Riske, Torres, and Mota aren't going anywhere. Who does that leave? Turnbow or McClung. Dillon will be eligible to be recalled in a few days. Let's hope they don't wait too long to go back to 12 pitchers.

Bush may be in the bullpen sometime shortly, but let's see how Sheets does this next start. If he can't make it and needs to miss yet another start or make yet another trip to the DL, we will know that in just a few days. This will most likely tell us what happens to Mr. Dave Bush.

It has also been proposed that T-bow/Mc Clung are trade bait. Fine. Keep them up for a chance to straighten out and show them to possible buyers, in the mean time, Bush gets regular work. No biggie. We will see him again soon.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Archived