Brewer Fanatic

Wes Helms is an idiot

AJAY
Community Moderator

I wasn't surprised at all to see Helms beat us (again).

There was no reason to boo him on Opening Day 2005. He had a tough 2004 which was clearly due to the injury in San Juan, which was not his fault. The Brewers were terrible in 2004, it wasn't just him, but he was frequently the only one that got booed for it. He never said anything bad about Milwaukee. He didn't have any off-field problems. Teammates said he was one of the harder working players.

He put the tough year behind him and was promptly booed on Opening Day (although it was probably only about 1/3 of the fans that were booing). He was clearly deeply affected by it.

I've heard the argument about the fans having the "right to boo". I agree. However, players are human and just because they are high paid baseball players does not mean that they don't have emotions. He was obviously upset enough already that his career had gone downhill after a random injury and I think he is justified in being hurt over getting booed. Some players ignore it, but there is clearly sometimes a consequence for the response that fans give to the players. I like moments like giving Prince Fielder a standing ovation after he started the 2006 season 0-10. I have been giving Gagne and Turnbow standing ovations, even though virtually nobody else does.

If a player stinks, it will take care of itself. Do you think Turnbow doesn't know that he stinks? Do you think Wes Helms didn't know that he had a horrible year?

Wes Helms is not an idiot for wanting to beat the Brewers. It is true that he is only a backup third baseman for the Marlins, but he is getting the last laugh. He helped to ruin our playoff run last year when he drove in the winning runs in the 11th inning on August 5th in what was perhaps the most devastating loss of the year. He got the game winning RBI on Friday and today. Good for you Wes, nice to shove it in the face of those that wronged you. If only you could play with that kind of motivation every game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've never been more embarrassed to be a brewer fan as that opening day in 2005. Good for Helms.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd rather have Helms on the roster than Seth McClung.

A sentiment I'm quite sure you wouldn't have shared about an hour ago.

Right... I mean, it's not like I just started a whole thread yesterday, expressing that I would much prefer to have an additional bench player over Seth McClung. Granted, Helms wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he'd have helped us more than McClung.

This guy has been beating us since he played for us.

Not really. He's been pretty bad vs us save for today obviously.

The Brewers helped him big-time today to look pretty good.

Some of us here could have looked good on that 0-2 groover like Seth and Rivera set up...

If the fans at Miller Park boo every time the opposing pitcher makes a move to first it basically says all you need to know about the baseball intelligence of the people booing. I feel embarrassed half the time from the things I hear people talking about and the way they cheer.

Instead of booing former Brewers like Helms I usually just laugh because the other team has them.

I don't think he or any player deserves to be booed on opening day during introductions. But I do understand booing Helms now and during the 04' and 05' seasons. Russell and Wickett were talking about this morning on 1250 and asked why he was getting booed? I called in and said I think he got booed and I dislike Helms because we traded for him before the 03' season he came in started at 3B and actually had a decent season .261 AVG and 23 HR's 67 RBI's. Then the next year he came into the season very out of shape got hurt, didn't hit and also played awful at 3B, he also did that in 05'. I ended the call by saying he killed us the last two years he was a Brewer and now he killed us again.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Why is these jokers always come back to bite the Crew in the tail?

Because people like us make judgements against them. It's human nature. Does anyone realize what Turnbow is gonna do to the Crew one of these days. We'll celebrate and get drunk outta happiness when we kick his sorry bum to the curb, but it'll cost us someday. It's kinda cool don't you think?

If the fans at Miller Park boo every time the opposing pitcher makes a move to first it basically says all you need to know about the baseball intelligence of the people booing.

As a side note, I was at the game on Friday, and some fans insisted on screaming (not simply "Booooo") every time Olson threw to 1b. I understand "booing" when a pitcher throws 4-5 times in a AB over to first base -- but I found the yelling and screaming each time the pitcher threw to 1b, WAY over the top, and it compromised my enjoyment of the game -- at some point it gets old.

I thought it sucked rocks.

First off, Helms is flat out wrong; Jenks got cherred so much before his first AB Wednesday he had to step out. When he made a diving catch later, he was roundly cheered by the home fans.

Second, if we all have the right to boo then players have a right to react to booing. Helms was the scapegoat for that '04 team, mostly because he tried to come back after San Juan too early and never got his form back. In his limited role in 2005 Wes performed pretty well in the chances he was given. Better than some of the other 04 pieces (such as Spivey). He never dissed Milwaukee, worked hard, and gave it his all. Now he gets to come back here and rub a little mud in our faces, so what?

EDIT: Fixed hyperlink.

If the fans at Miller Park boo every time the opposing pitcher makes a move to first it basically says all you need to know about the baseball intelligence of the people booing. I feel embarrassed half the time from the things I hear people talking about and the way they cheer.

Every city does this. They were talking about that on the radio last week during the game. I hear it from every city every time an opposing pitcher throws to first. It's sort of an unspoken tradition throughout the league.

As for Helms the only real critism I had of him when he was here is he seemed to have come into spring training out of shape after he singed his contract to be our thrid baseman. Maybe his injury had more to do with his poor performance tha tyear than being fat in camp but the injury had nothing to do with his booting easy grounders timeafter time before he got injured. Being a poor player can be understood if it wasn't for being out of shape.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Wes Helms - a modest man with much to be modest about. Lousy player on the field. Lousy person off. A footnote at best. Boo him all you want: He most certainly deserves it.

Was he named in the Mitchell Report? Did he (allegedly) have an affair with a 15-year old? (Like a certain player) Did he get a DUI?

Why do you consider him a lousy person off the field?

The reporter was apparently too lazy to spend 5 seconds searching the local newspaper website for "Geoff Jenkins", in order to be able to report the facts in addition to what Wes Helms claims he heard.

I'm not sure I can fathom criticizing Helms for his alleged lack of class by calling him a fat idiot.

Very well said. I guess the way I've always seen this is that I boo Gary Sheffield, and there are 0 ballplayers that I would put on that level. So I'm not about to treat Wes Helms in the same manner. That would be disrespecting my feelings on Sheffield http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I sat next to Wes' wife the game where he broke out of his slump in O5 and hit a double to the opposite field to put us up late in the game. I've really never seen anyone so happy in my life. She had tears streaming down her face when he pumped his fist as he got to second base. It was really kind of touching to have that close of a connection to what was happening in their personal lives reflecting his play. Ever since then, I've really had a soft spot for him

On a related note, his wife was easily one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life

Our family is probably the only family that actually likes Wes. Yesterday my dad wore his autographed Wes Helms jersey. We named our dog after him. I am part of a small private Wes Helms Fanclub. Anyways....................I think brewer fans need to realize that his stay in Milwaukee was not that bad. He did have some power and had a good arm (not implying he had good defense). I know I'm a minority here, but I simply did not like 3TO as our third baseman and preferred Wes. There is no fun in a guy that strikes out 40% of the time. Also, last time I checked, Wes is still wanted in the major leagues.

After he had his slip in San Juan (or whatever country it was), his batting average went way up. It was over a course of 408 abs (2 full years of atbats, not a small sample!), his BA was .316 with 14 homers. And now he has recently become a small brewer killer.

Every city does this. They were talking about that on the radio last week during the game. I hear it from every city every time an opposing pitcher throws to first. It's sort of an unspoken tradition throughout the league.

Yeah, I have to say that I fail to see why this gets on anyone's nerves as well. Nor do I understand why booing the pickoff move somehow equates to my level of baseball intelligence.

Just because I understand the strategic purpose behind a certain play, doesn't mean I shouldn't voice my displeasure when it annoys me. After 3 consecutive throws to first, I'd generally prefer that the pitcher grow a pair. This is, in part, how you end up with 9 innings that last for 4 hours as we did on Sunday.

Plus, the boo is generally delivered in a silky baritone that is quite easy on the ears. What I wouldn't give to hear the late Bing Crosby heartily boo the opposing pitcher for checking on the runner. I do agree with FTJ that a high-pitched shriek is a faux pas.

Just because I understand the strategic purpose behind a certain play, doesn't mean I shouldn't voice my displeasure when it annoys me.

Yes...another example is while I may understand the strategy behind Tony LaRussa making yet another pitching change, that does not mean I won't boo him when he does it. This happened a few years ago when the Cardinals had a fairly secure lead and yet LaRussa made a pitching change or two in the ninth inning.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think people sometimes boo that move to be funny. It's almost a cliche to boo that move and the fake throw to third and then turn and look to pick a guy off first. Everyone boos that too.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hate Wes Helms! The last two games I have attended ended with Wes Helms getting the winning hit! Did he ever have a game winning hit in the 3 years he played in Milwaukee?

He had a walkoff homer in the thirteenth in 2005 from what I remember.

Archived