Brewer Fanatic

Wes Helms is an idiot

AJAY

Does Wes Helms understand that he signed a mult-year deal and then decided to show up to spring training fat and out of shape? Does he remember his atrocious defense at third base? And can you believe his comments about Geoff Jenkins return?

Wes Helms is an idiot.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080427&content_id=2598101&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's just one of those things where they boo everybody that leaves," Helms said.

I seem to remember everyone booing him as a Brewer when he was introduced on opening day back in 2005.

Wrong though he might have been about Jenkins in particular, I think he was generally right about the booing of former Brewers (a subject to which many a thread here has been devoted). And he pretty much got the last laugh this weekend.

I think if I had been booed by my home team fans before my team's home opener, I'd remember that and stay motivated to prove them wrong at every opportunity - even if in the meantime I'd been released or traded and only got those opportunities once in a while.

I am not interested in reopening the booing debate, but there is a potential dark side to vocally calling out every player you don't like. Just think back to games like today's.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I can't really disagree with him. I was at a Philly game last year when he was booed, and was pretty shocked. I can see if people were booing him for his out-of-shapeness, but sadly I'm guessing most of them were morons who thought "Omg he sucked when he was here LOL I'll boo!" I mean honestly did people have that high of expectations of him when he was in Milwaukee? That'd be like booing Tony Graffanino if he was with another team and visited Milwaukee.

mean honestly did people have that high of expectations of him when he was in Milwaukee? That'd be like booing Tony Graffanino if he was with another team and visited Milwaukee.

Actually...yea, kinda. A lot of people thought he was going to be our 3rd basemen of the future after his first year.

I'd rather have Helms on the roster than Seth McClung.

A sentiment I'm quite sure you wouldn't have shared about an hour ago.

Actually...yea, kinda. A lot of people thought he was going to be our 3rd basemen of the future after his first year.

Okay that's fine, but booing an ex-player for not meeting your expectations seems unnecessary to me. If he bashes the city/teammates/organization or whatever then it's understandable, but I don't remember him doing that (He might have, I just don't know).

Okay that's fine, but booing an ex-player for not meeting your expectations seems unnecessary to me. If he bashes the city/teammates/organization or whatever then it's understandable, but I don't remember him doing that (He might have, I just don't know).

Personally, I wouldn't waste the air it takes to boo on Wes Helms, but I guess some people felt compelled.

He sucked, but oh well, not like plenty of other players didn't suck for the early 2000's Brewers. I don't really get booing a guy who left amicably simply because he was crappy, unless his crappiness really hurt your team, like the crappy player who single-handedly blew a couple of games to lose the playoff race or playoff series. Had we made the playoffs and he committed a couple huge errors while going 1-18 at the plate, I'd understand it a little better.

Gopher74 wrote:

Not really. He's been pretty bad vs us save for today obviously.

Overall his stats may be pretty poor, but counting the 2 games this weekend he has had 4 games where he knocked in the winning runs in the late innings against us over the last 2 years. He also knocked in the first run in a 3-2 game with the Marlins in 2006.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Cant say I blame him. He didn't trash the city or the organization, so I don't really have any problem with what he said. It does frustrate the heck out of me that he has seemingly had more big hits against the Brewers the past two years than he did in 3 full seasons with them, but that goes without saying.

Archived