Brewer Fanatic

Mavericks Josh Howard Admits Off-Season Pot use!

bobbledude25

Is this guy just a complete moron or what? Way to help the NBA's image problem to. Good thing he wasn't given a wonderlic test coming out of college...

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard brought unexpected and possibly unprecedented attention to himself Friday, just hours before Game 3 of the Mavericks' first-round series with New Orleans, by openly discussing his offseason marijuana use on Dallas' ESPN Radio affiliate.

Expounding on comments about marijuana that he made over the weekend to The Dallas Morning News, Howard joined "The Michael Irvin Show" on ESPN Radio 103.3 FM on Friday afternoon and told the Hall of Fame wide receiver that he "probably" would not smoke marijuana in-season even if the league did not have a random testing program but described "smoking weed in the offseason sometimes" as his "personal choice and personal opinion."

"I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job," Howard told Irvin.

The 28-year-old from Wake Forest, selected by NBA commissioner David Stern to fill a roster spot created by injury on the Western Conference All-Star team in 2007, added, "I think that everybody in the media world and in the sports world knows that NBA players do smoke marijuana."

It was not immediately clear what sort of punishment Howard could face for his candor, either from the league office or his team. But one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the league likely "can't" suspend Howard. The source said that any sanction from the Mavericks is even less likely.

NBA players are required to undergo four random tests every season between Oct. 1 and June 30. But a player who tests positive for marijuana is not subjected to his first five-game suspension -- or even public knowledge he has failed a drug test -- until his third failed test.

There likewise appears to be no penalty precedent for a player who merely shares details about his substance abuse in the media.

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Howard will almost certainly be entered immediately into the NBA's marijuana program -- which would require him to submit to much more frequent testing -- but it would appear that he is not at risk for a suspension unless he has failed two previous tests.

The league issued no response to Howard's comments Friday, citing a policy in its anti-drug agreement with the union that forbids the NBA and the Players Association from publicly discussing specifics about substance-abuse issues.

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said during his usual pregame meeting with reporters that he would need more information before responding.

"I haven't heard the interview and I haven't spoken with Josh," Johnson said . "Once I hear the interview and talk to Josh, we'll go from there."

But, Johnson added, Howard's decision to consent to the interview and invite questions on this topic on the day of a playoff game was "what I call poor timing and poor judgment."

Dallas is already reeling from a 2-0 deficit to the Hornets entering a crucial Game 3 at home.

Howard has struggled mightily in the series, averaging 13.5 points on 26.9 percent shooting from the floor. But the discussion about marijuana with Irvin came at Howard's urging -- as the station stressed repeatedly during subsequent programming -- to clarify the statements he made to The Morning News.

Asked by Irvin's co-host, Kevin Kiley, if he fears that his struggles in this series will be linked to his marijuana admission, Howard said: "Oh yeah, I understand that. . . . I know that's not the truth."

". . . Like I was saying to the [Morning News reporter], it has nothing to do with what I do as far as basketball, when I go out there and perform," Howard said. "That's how I feel about it.

". . . What I was stating was just [in response to] a random question he asked me about the marijuana use. I just let him know that most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes and that's my personal choice and my personal opinion. But I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job."

Asked why he wanted to discuss this topic, Howard said: "I was raised on being truthful and honest with myself and my family, so I can say it with no problems and go out there and perform to the best of my abilities tonight and not even think about it."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Good for him for being honest. He never said, "Hey I'm a pot head and I smoke all the time." He said he does it occasionally when he is on his off time. Yeah it's illegal but come on there is much worse he could be doing than indulging in the occasional toke of the reefer.

I know this thread is probably on shaky ground as is, but I honestly believe this country will be a lot better off once we legalize, tax, and legislate the stuff. If he doesn't abuse the stuff, I have no issue with Howard admitting his sue. Using his position to proselytize the use of it when he has kids looking up to him--that I wouldn't feel as great about.

Is this guy just a complete moron or what? Way to help the NBA's image problem to. Good thing he wasn't given a wonderlic test coming out of college...

Guys go out & party/drink/etc. nearly every night in the NBA season. That's no different. At least Howard is smart enough to keep his recreational substance use in the offseason (or so he says).

"I just let him know that most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes and that's my personal choice and my personal opinion. But I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job."

It is startling (for some reason, not sure why) to me to hear that boldfaced part, though. Probably a near-identical % of NBAers as the population in general.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know this thread is probably on shaky ground as is, but I honestly believe this country will be a lot better off once we legalize, tax, and legislate the stuff. If he doesn't abuse the stuff, I have no issue with Howard admitting his sue. Using his position to proselytize the use of it when he has kids looking up to him--that I wouldn't feel as great about.

I pretty much agree with everything you said in this post. I wrote a paper a few years back in my written communication on the pro's and con's of legalizing the stuff.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It is sad that he is tarnishing the NBA though, by stating "everybody is doing it." He is tarnishing his employer that had made him a millionaire. That is the biggest part that bothers me...No loyalty to his employer. Personally I think it is illegal for a reason and it is a big deal.

It is sad that he is tarnishing the NBA though, by stating "everybody is doing it." He is tarnishing his employer that had made him a millionaire. That is the biggest part that bothers me...No loyalty to his employer. Personally I think it is illegal for a reason and it is a big deal.

Exactly! Lots of people that responded on here missed this point! Check out what Stephen A. Smith from ESPN had to say. wow

An NBA player is using pot? In other news water is still wet... this is really a non story.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

this is really a non story.

I agree with your statement, but I don't agree with this point. It is a story because a player is admitting it and admitting it during a playoff series when said player is not playing that well. The whole NBA population does this or that, but to flat out admit you do it "only" in the off-season is pretty crazy. The NBA has to improve their testing policies. They seem to be way behind the NFL and MLB.

First off. . .Michael Irvin has a radio show?!? That must be hard on the ears. . .

I'm shocked that he would implicate "most of the rest of the players in the league". I would guess a non-user might get pretty hot about being lumped in with the users. He didn't do anyone else any favors with that part.

And as for the statement and drug use, I don't think he realizes how many corporate dollars are spent on the league in seats, advertising, etc. His ability to earn the 4-year, $40 million contract is based on appealing to people who may not take kindly to that admission.

This may get legs, or may just fade away into nothing. Probably the latter.

What else are they going to spend all those millions of dollars on???? Really expensive crazy suits? (See Kobe's suit after their last game) More expensive cars that they'll rarely drive? A bigger house? I mean, once you've got 8 Beamers, Benzes and the like, a 50,000 square foot house, and everything you could ever want....why not smoke pot? Even though the league doesn't want you to.....oh well, say it's during the off-season....that will make it better.

The reason that it is a big deal is two fold, one he admits to breaking the law and two he admits to breaking league rules. Neither the police will be able to charge him or punish him but now he has brought alot more supervision apon him. As for calling out other players, since he didnt name anyone else he should be fine here. These are the times when i enjoy Steven A., when he is calm and presents a good and well thought out opinion and not yelling and screaming. When he does this he can have very intelligent dialoges.

I admitt that I don't follow the NBA much at all, but one thing that I heard about this amazed me. I'm not even sure if I heard it correctly, but I believe someone on ESPN (I don't know who, it was just on in the background) said NBA players are tested 4 random times a year, but they have to fail 3 tests before anything happens. Is that actually correct, does anyone know any more about this?
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived