Brewer Fanatic

Quick Draw on Combining Threads

DrWood
seems some of y'all moderators combine thread pretty spontaneously. For example: Are we only going to have one lineup thread the entire year? Even if there have been major roster changes? Seems if a thread drops down to page 3 or 4, you could have another thread on the topic, as long as it's not a complete rehash.

We should really just have a coach thread, game thread and player thread. Is there anything else to talk about?

All joking aside, I see what you mean Dr. Wood. Combining threads is an inexact science that I am sure our wonderful moderators are working on all the time. I can see its usefullness, but it also lets some good discussions get lost if someone has to bring up an old dead thread about Craig Counsell just because once upon a time someone else started to talk about Counsell.

Often times the thread title no longer reflects the combined thread or you have 2-3 different conversations about the same topic going on in the same thread.

There are issues, but I think its getting better, a little better.

The moderators of any messageboard have it extremely hard. Having moderators with no rules is what makes so many messageboards worthless.

You don't have to agree with every decision the moderators around here make, but brewerfan.net wouldn't be the greatest messageboard on the internet in any sport without them.

They have their parameters and stick to their guns, despite having a lot of issues that could go either way. That is what makes this board great.

I can see its usefullness, but it also lets some good discussions get lost if someone has to bring up an old dead thread about Craig Counsell just because once upon a time someone else started to talk about Counsell.
I could be wrong about this because I still seem to be using the "manual" approach to finding threads (one page at a time), but if you wanted to talk about Counsell, couldn't you just click on the tag for Counsell and find the main discussion on him?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

yeah if the thread is tagged. Ive done that before with threads. I'll find the tag about, say, all star games, and post in a "dead thread" where the title isnt reflective of what I am talking about, but the subject matter is all star games Consequently, nobody clicks on it and the thread ends up on the second page in a few hours and few if any knew I posted something worthwhile. That is the only complaint I have. If we all had title editing capabilities this wouldnt be a problem, but we cant, because that would cause mayhem.

I assume at least one mod reads every thread, so perhaps we could ask in the new post if they can change the thread title. I'm not really sure...I normally don't have a problem with any of this so I'm just throwing ideas out there.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Merging threads and making a thread "designated ________" are something we talk about as moderators, but sometimes it comes down to individual moderator discretion. For instance, we don't need two Russ Branyan threads right now because he's a)not on the roster and b)a source of considerable vitriol, which we don't want tainting other threads. If and when Branyan gets called up, we'll address it then.

What moderators usually don't appreciate is questioning our decisions in-thread. It gets the thread off track. If you have a problem with how we're handling something, PM us or start a thread in the Issues forum. Please keep bookkeeping-type threads like this in this forum.

Consequently, nobody clicks on it and the thread ends up on the second page in a few hours and few if any knew I posted something worthwhile.

When's the last time this happened? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In this case, it had only been four days since the lineup thread had been posted to. Additionally, the new thread almost immediately spilled over into the Fielder and Braun spots--something that, of course, was completely appropriate. It was just a matter of time before it started getting into the rest of the lineup.

In contrast, the old designated Yost thread had sat dead for 13 days when a new one was started. And actually, the current designated Yost thread started out with some pretty specific discussion and wasn't actually "designated" until four days later when it was deemed to have virtually become a duplicate.

By the way, tags in the Major League forum are currently in pretty good shape and should be useful.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived