Brewer Fanatic

The Early Candidate for Worst Call of the Year

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprising this wasn't brought up already. They are changing the umpires for the World Series. Sort of. They apparently have a guy without World Series experience work every year. This time they are going with all guy with experience. Actually seems pretty stupid to me except for leaving CB Bucknor out. Link

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Surprising this wasn't brought up already. They are changing the umpires for the World Series. Sort of. They apparently have a guy without World Series experience work every year. This time they are going with all guy with experience. Actually seems pretty stupid to me except for leaving CB Bucknor out. Link
They still don't get it. If they have learned anything, they'd no that experience has been shown to be worth absolutely nothing. I don't care if he's worked the World Series before. Is he the best ump? Then he gets to make the calls.

So instead of this...

NEW YORK (AP) - Stung by a rash of blown calls in the playoffs, Major League Baseball is breaking tradition and sticking with only experienced umpires for the World Series.

I want to hear this...

NEW YORK (AP) - Stung by a rash of blown calls in the playoffs, Major League Baseball is breaking tradition and sticking with only quality, intelligent umpires for the World Series.

Unfortunately, quality and intelligent umpires might be an oxymoron.

If they have learned anything, they'd no that experience has been shown to be worth absolutely nothing.

I would love to see how you show that experience is worth absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately, quality and intelligent umpires might be an oxymoron.

Just not true.... Perfect umpires is an oxymoron. But then again, so is the idea of a perfect person in general. MLB umpires are the best of the best.

Yes, calls do get blown. One blown call, though, doesn't necessarily make a great umpire horrible. That would be like saying one swing at a bad pitch by Ryan Braun makes him an aweful player. He would still be a quality player, just not a perfect player. Going with an inexperienced umpire with no proven track record is like going with Alcides Escobar instead of Ryan Braun in crunch time. The younger/inexperienced player may perform better, but I think in general you'd be an idiot for going with Escobar simply because you think there is a chance Braun might screw up/not be totally perfect.

MLB umpires are the best of the best.

This is just a huge assumption. What they are is protected by a strong union, and not held very accountable for their failings. It's a job that is almost impossible to lose, which is why MLB is stuck with such mediocrity.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fair enough..... but these guys went through a lot to get there.... and my guess is that there are lots of "ongoing" type things they have to do to remain MLB umpires that we as the general public just don't know about.

Apparently "be a good umpire" isn't one of the ongoing things for some of them. I think people know that these guys have paid their dues and work very hard. The problem is that some are just not very good and short of retirement or death there is no way an umpire will lose their job.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived