Brewer Fanatic

The Early Candidate for Worst Call of the Year

This clip is from the Braves v Nationals game earlier this week. Just a horrible call and goes along with what we've seen in some games this year. Not as dramatic as this example, but I think it's safe to say the umpiring is a problem in MLB right now. It's as if they're trying to speed up the process of being replaced by a computer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before this season I though baseball had probably the 2nd best officiating of the four major league sports. I'd have to say that MLB is now competing with the NBA for the worst. Umpires have seemingly gotten cockier and cockier the past couple of years. They make terrible calls like this and then some of them will have the stones to start chirping at the team that's clearly been worked over. How many times in the past two years has Jim Powell had to say, "The fans didn't come to the park today to see (insert cocky ump) umpire this game." I can think of 3 instances alone since the last week of last September.

Ever since that horrible series in Atlanta last year, I've made it a point to watch the umps and see how they conduct themselves in certain situations. For some reason, they just keep getting worse and worse.

That Nats/Braves play is completely laughable even at full speed.

I wouldn't mind them going on strike again so MLB can call up some hard working minor league umps who could do just as horribly but without the attitude.

I'm absolutely speechless. I've been sitting here laughing at this for about 5 minutes now. Oh, my, gosh. And of all teams to do this to, this has to happen against Bobby Cox. He almost looked to be laughing more than he was angry at first. That is awful.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I think it would be cool to keep this thread open for more bad calls, even though most of the videos will probably get removed right away. Just a thought.

~Nottso

I saw it the other day on the NSBB site. I'm surprised the Braves weren't absolutely livid. Probably because it was the first inning, but knowing Bobby Cox has the most career ejections it was kind of surprising to me.

What really gets me is that all 4 umps are too arrogant to even consider overturning the play. What's sad is that since this play is in the first inning it doesn't get much exposure. Like you said Glennron, how Cox doesn't get tossed here is beyond me.

On a side note, I love when Bill gets livid over a call. Like last year in the Braves series.

wow. I had not seen nor heard about this. Thanks for posting it.

It's amazing how the umpires are rated as being very good but then make serious blunders like that. The only thing I can think of is if he meant to make the safe call and for some reason he made the out call and then apologized to Bobby Cox during their conversation, like he was embarrassed, but it was too late to change the call.

I guess he's human and humans make mistakes. At least it was the first inning.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

But why not change the call if you realize that you're obviously wrong? Is that not allowed? We really don't care about your dignity, Mr. Umpire. We would much rather have the correct call.

Honestly, if it was something as obvious as this and the ump acknowledged being wrong and changed his call, I would have a ton of respect for that ump.

~Nottso

"What?!"

That was my audible response to seeing that call for the first time, in real time -- thank you for sharing that. Unbelievable. MLB needs to whip these umps into shape. They certainly seem to be taking their jobs for granted, but more troubling is their arrogance.

That is the worst MLB call I've ever seen in my life, and I'm not exaggerating. That was an easy play. If he had something in his eye, the 3B ump could've made the right call!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I give umps the benefit of the doubt if it takes a zoomed in slow mo shot to prove they were wrong. But that was a ridiculus call at full speed. Even they guys in the booth that are 200 feet away from the play called it correctly right away.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

That was my audible response to seeing that call for the first time, in real time -- thank you for sharing that. Unbelievable. MLB needs to whip these umps into shape. They certainly seem to be taking their jobs for granted, but more troubling is their arrogance.

That is the worst MLB call I've ever seen in my life, and I'm not exaggerating. That was an easy play. If he had something in his eye, the 3B ump could've made the right call!

I totally agree with the arrogance part. Listening to Bruce Froeming (sp?) after the game the other night made me realize how much umping has changed in the last few years. I know that in Brewer games and others I have watched, there seems to be several umps that almost antagonize players and managers into getting thrown out of games. They can preach that they deserve respect from the players, but just as in the rest of the world, you should have to show respect to earn it back.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

The umpiring has just seemed horrible this year so far. Ball and strikes are all over the place. It was amazing in that Reds game where Bako got kicked out. The last 4 innings of that game everyone was just throwing to that low/away spot knowing they'd get the call on an unhittable ball. Everyone knew they were getting cheap calls, but the ump refused to change at that point.

Also, that's the second hosing the Braves have gotten by the umps this year that I'm aware of. They had some real big mess in a game with the Mets this year.

I thought the timing of the Froemming interview was interesting since there has been so must umpire questioning so early this season. It seemed mighty convenient that he was there to explain and seemingly to take some pressure off the umps.

Just in case anybody wants to know, it's Dan Iassogna.

I have also umpired in the past (youth ball) and also give a little credit to the umps for the tough calls. But that was BAD.

The worst? I'd have to go with the Don Denkinger call in the '85 World Series considering that it was a World Series. That name still boils the blood of Cardinal's fans.

Denkinger still gets death threats about that play 20+ years later. I remember ESPN did a story about it either last summer or the summer before. Quite chilling, to tell the truth, that there are some people that just can't let it go.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'd like to see an ump get a call that bad be docked a games pay. I'd say 99% of questionable calls have some basis for understanding how the ump could miss (out of position being the biggest), but this guy had a clear angle and completely dorked.

That's interesting... I view it totally the other way around. A call this bad simply can't be a true indicator of his talent. As mentioned, it looked just like a total brain lock. I'd actually love to see umps get fined for being out of position (obv. sometimes there's a reason why umps are not in position), since that's the biggest part to getting calls correct. Well, that, and opening your eyes...
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived