Brewer Fanatic

New Golf Clubs

zzzmanwitz
I am thinking about buying a new set of golf clubs. I've always bought used and was wondering if anyone out there had an opinion on the value on a new set. I don't know very much about how the brands differ, so any input is very much appreciated.

My recommendation (and I think this came up a few months ago) is to hit before you buy. Most Dicks Sporting Goods stores have a hitting area that tracks the velocity and trajectory off the clubhead, and gives you a sense of how you'd hit in the wild (it even averages the results of multiple hits).

In my case, when I bought over the holidays, the low-end set of Taylor Made clubs were actually the ones that I hit the furthest and straightest. It made me feel a lot better about my decision....although I haven't tried them out on the course yet.

With irons, fit is way more important than anything else.

Have a golf pro do a fitting for you to find out what length and lie you need in a club.

Then try out a bunch of different sets with differnt types of shafts and grips, etc. The right set will just jump out at you.

edit: Oh, and be very suspicious of any launch monitor that has you consistently hitting 250+ yards in the fairway (unless you're always 250 yards-plus and always in the fairway). For example, my experience is that the launch monitor at the Golf Galaxy in Brookfield is very, very forgiving.

You can buy a set of new golf clubs ranging anywhere from $100 all the way up to $10000 and up. It all depends what you want to spend.

I'd say your best bet is to go to a golf store/outlet and let them know what you want to spend, your skill level, etc. They'll usually have a spot in the back to go hit and see how you like them.

take your time and demo clubs at the range and course so you can get a feel of what they are like to play. hitting inside can give a false sense of what the clubs actually do. and also stay off of the mats at ranges - use grass hitting areas.

my big thing is that it depends on what you're looking to do with the clubs. I nearly decided to become a pro (my handicap peaked at +1.8, but now I'm around a 1.8).

If you don't care about performance, you can get the knock-offs that club-builders assemble. They have huge variations in their performance, however, you can't beat the price.

If you go name brand, the decision comes down to blades, pseudo-blades, and cavity backs. The cavity back technology now would rank with the performance of blades 15 years ago. But the blade technology now has the forgiveness of cavity backs just 5-10 years ago. In reality, both types are much higher in performance and forgiveness than 5-10 year old clubs.

For woods, buy something name brand. To buy on the cheap, find last years (or two years ago's) models somewhere. I always recommend golfgalaxy.com to people who want new items that might be from a few years ago. However, be careful with drivers, because you need the right shaft more than you need the right head.

With fairway woods I can recommend graphite or steel. With irons, definitely go steel.

i dont know where u live, but i know all 4 managers at the golf galaxy in greenfield. i've worked at other golf stores, and i would have to say that of the area golf stores, the greenfield golf galaxy is probably the best store for customer service in the milwaukee area.

Archived