Brewer Fanatic

Cubs to skip Hill vs. Brewers

JohnBriggs12
What has Weeks done to prove that he's solid? I mean really is that a serious statement? Has he hit over .250 since 2005? I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that they aren't disappointed in Rickie Weeks.

Not to bring the Weeks talk back since that's not the topic of conversation, but for the sake of accuracy, Weeks hit .279 in 2006, and it was 359 at-bats so it wasn't a particularly small sample.

To sorta bring it back to the conversation, Weeks actually hit better against RHP that year.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

RickieWeeksJr, you keep moving the line of describing Weeks. First, you say he hasn't proved he belongs in the majors, than you say we can't be disappointed in him, than you say we can't call him solid. How about you choose which point you want to make, and than we can discuss it.

Weeks has clearly proven he belongs in the majors. If your only arguments are that his batting average is low and that he has had fielding problems in the past, you don't have enough of an argument.

Solid is such a nebulous description that it is probably meaningless when describing a baseball player. He will go through streaks where he is very valuable, and streaks where he struggles. You can say the same about the majority of baseball players, so that doesn't really get us anywhere.

Disappointing is interesting in that it entirely depends on the expectations. Mickey Mantle was disappointing to Yankee fans. Expectations have nothing to do with actual value that Weeks brings. Weeks is clearly a valuable member of the Brewers and will be for at least a few more years. Beyond that, he could be a star, or he could be cut when his arbitration numbers get too high. For now, we should enjoy watching a fun ballplayer that is contributing to this year's success.

I don't know if you look at anything besides BA, but Weeks has scored 19 runs in 21 games. You think someone who doesn't belong in the majors could do that? Another way to look at this is that Weeks has more runs than hits. Kind of puts BA in perspective, doesn't it?

So the other thread gets locked. This one is barred from Weeks talk. To recap: they get in the last word about Weeks and if I respond I will be given a second completely undeserved strike, since there is nowhere else to address it. Cool.

I think it really has more to do with the fact that another thread that wasn't about Weeks (it is discussing Rich Hill being skipped by the Cubs) has turned into the exact same argument that lead to the first thread being locked. Nothing against you or the fact that somebody else got the last word.

edit: Back to the topic at hand... Seeing that it was more of a keep Zambrano and others on their regular schedule than it was avoiding starting a lefty against the Crew (even though I know that played a role) makes it, at least in my opinion, less of a stellar managerial move and more of a typical approach to a 5th starter in April.

Stop playing the victim. The other thread was about the NL Central and this one was about the Cubs skipping Hill's start; i.e., neither about Rickie Weeks. There's a good reason that Weeks discussion is barred from this thread.

Try talking about Weeks in an appropriate thread, like this one: Is Rickie's Production A Concern?

If you want to argue about how we run this forum, take it up with me via PM.

Can I ask why, when the other mod just said "it's not your business how we deal with members - it's not made public for a reason," that my strike was made nothing but public? I didn't get any PM or email or anything. I got the strike in public from Cpt. Picard, and then had it repeated by other people. Not once did I get a pm about it and it certainly was made public.

Archived