Brewer Fanatic

4/24/08 Phillies (Moyer) at Brewers (Suppan): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
And an even higher likelihood of scoring with no outs and a man on 3rd. Plus the odds that Hart gets thrown out are pretty drastically low.

Well, he got thrown out so they cant be that low. NEVER make the first out at 3rd. He was already in scoring position. To me this isnt even a debate

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, he got thrown out so they cant be that low.
This makes no sense. If he gets thrown out 1 out of 100 times on that kind of play, it's bound to happen at some point. But that doesn't mean you don't try it.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Well, he got thrown out so they cant be that low.
This makes no sense. If he gets thrown out 1 out of 100 times on that kind of play, it's bound to happen at some point. But that doesn't mean you don't try it.

Do you really think that throwing a guy out at 3rd when trying to stretch a double into a triple that was hit to left field would only happen 1 out of 100 times. There is a reason why you hardly ever see triples to left field. Too short of a throw. Just about any baseball coach will tell you that he should not have done that. I bet Corey himself regrets it.

Did you see where Schumaker was playing on that particular play? He was playing more toward CF than LF (and I have no idea why) Plus I still think overall Rickie is faster than Hart

In addition to the LF being way over in the LC gap (against Rickie, why?), I got the impression that the throw might have been going home, and the 3rd baseman just happened to cut it off. Anything close to the bag and I think Rickie would have been out, too.

I never meant to imply that it was actually 1 out of 100. I was just pointing out that you can't point to this one example and say that this is proof that the odds of him getting thrown out are high. If it would take a perfect throw to get him as was suggested earlier, then I imagine the odds of a perfect throw are pretty low.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I never meant to imply that it was actually 1 out of 100. I was just pointing out that you can't point to this one example and say that this is proof that the odds of him getting thrown out are high. If it would take a perfect throw to get him as was suggested earlier, then I imagine the odds of a perfect throw are pretty low.

I know thats not what you meant, but the point is that if any throw (perfect or not) would have gotten him out at 3rd then he should have never tried it. Its just too big of a risk when you already have yourself if scoring position with nobody out. Its pretty much an unwritten rule in baseball. Especially when the throw is so short as opposed to the right-center gap or down the RF line

team with the most home runs in the majors right now...considering the game's at MP, I'm grateful it's just at one HR through 5 2/3

Good point. The fact that there was no one on base also makes it not so bad. I figured we were gonna have to score more than 1 run to beat the Phillies today.

Archived