Brewer Fanatic

Who would you rather have closing: Mota or Gagne?

Again... to put the é at the end of Gangé hold down ALT and press 1-3-0 on the number pad of your keyboard.

For me... its whom ever gets us the most wins.

Again...to spell Gagne correctly put the g before the n. Get some.

Really what we actually have is the perfect bullpen to blow-up the Larussian model, and go almost to more of a rotation (not strictly speaking) where guys are assured regular work. If you have a quick hook with Turnbow there is a very modest difference in abilities between Riske, Gagne, Mota, Turnbow, and Torres. Differences that can easily be exaggerated by over or under use. Stetter and Shouse would still be situational guys though Stetter looked pretty good last night in longer work. And really Mcclung needs to go to have a more reasonable number of pitchers.

I'd say Gagné for now, but I do like Mota a lot. We'll see over the next few weeks if the adjustments Maddux made with Mota's delivery has produced the good results now or not. We will by and large need a #2 closer though given Gagné doesn't appear to be able to handle a Cordero type load.

Really what we actually have is the perfect bullpen to blow-up the Larussian model, and go almost to more of a rotation (not strictly speaking) where guys are assured regular work.

Well put. I'd much rather have Mota/Torres and Gagne getting a 70/30 or 60/40 split, than Gagne warming up 42 days in a row, just so he can accumulate save chances. Heck I would love to see Stetter/Shouse get a couple of saves if a couple of tough LHers were up to end the ninth inning.

I really despise the "7th inning guy" and "8th inning guy".

It looks like Gagne might be our 3rd best reliever or worse. I have no problem with him as the closer.

I think I had something along the lines of ranking guys 1-9(in this case) and taking the best guy as your fireman/stopper. Making the best one inning guy who isn't your best reliever your closer, thus freeing up your best reliever to work at any time. Idealy having at least 2 really good multi inning guys ready to pitch at any time. At least 2 so they don't burn out.

Seems sensible. The question of who should be the closer, usually ignores that "closer" may be the most over-rated position/role.

In a similar vein the "save" may be the most over-rated stat...'wow, you got 3 outs in the ninth without giving up 3 runs". I'd like to see the qualifications for a save revamped to maybe something like getting 3 outs while holding a 1 run lead, 6 outs with a 2 run lead, or 9 outs with a 3 run lead.

Mota, when he's right, has the stuff to close, but he's 34 years old and never been a closer. He's fine doing what he's doing though had he been rested, I think he's a better backup than Turnbow. I'd stick with Gagne only because he has the mentality of a closer. He doesn't let a bad outing affect him the next time out.

Down the road, who knows? Stetter may be a guy to keep an eye on. He's nasty.

Stetter may be a guy to keep an eye on. He's nasty.

I have been very impressed with Stetter. When they first called him up I thought he would go back down when the roster gets settled. But after the way he has pitched he needs to stay, he has earned it. He just looks filthy, I actually get excited when they bring him in lots of confidence in him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

^^ Agree 100% with Toby, which is why -- out of the two -- I would set Mota to close. This would allow Gagne to pitch the higher-leverage innings.

That's nice in theory, but I think if anyone has seen how important a closer is, it's been us this year. This team can in no way afford to have it's second best reliever pitching the 9th.

That's nice in theory, but I think if anyone has seen how important a closer is, it's been us this year. This team can in no way afford to have it's second best reliever pitching the 9th.
If you have a one-run lead in the 7th, why not use your best reliever to keep it at that one-run lead and keep the other team from gaining momentum. You then give yourself the ability to open up that lead so it's a less stressful situation in the 9th.

Really, what's the difference between losing the game in the 7th and losing it in the 9th? Yeah, it's a little more heart-breaking in the 9th, but a loss is a loss.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I wonder sometimes if teams don't frantically hang onto the "closer" concept, because it sells t-shirts. If a team has a closer like Gagne (in his prime), or even Turnbow (2005), it fires up that crowd to see that closer take the mound. People stick around for the ninth, buy more things, leave the park on a positive note.

I am guessing Trevor Hoffman's Hells Bells works better in the 9th than in the 7th.

I wonder sometimes if teams don't frantically hang onto the "closer" concept, because it sells t-shirts. If a team has a closer like Gagne (in his prime), or even Turnbow (2005), it fires up that crowd to see that closer take the mound. People stick around for the ninth, buy more things, leave the park on a positive note.

I am guessing Trevor Hoffman's Hells Bells works better in the 9th than in the 7th.

I would totally agree with this. When you hear that "closers" music and then come through the bullpen door the place just goes nuts. It's like watching your favorite wrestler come out to their theme music that pumps you up.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I know FTJ, its just that this whole closer idea has never sat well with me. It works to make money, but so does making the playoffs.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived