Brewer Fanatic

Weight loss pills?

Barbs4339

I wouldn't recommend any pills. The cold hard truth is that the best way to lose weight is diet and exercise. And by diet I mean a proper diet, not just a diet coke and some lettuce. Losing weight is not easy, it takes hard work and dedication. But if you set your mind to it, you will do it. Just trust and believe in yourself. Diet pills are dangerous, even hydroxicut.

A old friend of mine that was studying to be a nurse said asked her professor about things like Hydroxicut. The profs response was, "If there was a pill that could make you lose weight without any side effects, every woman in the world would be taking it." Truth is, there is no such thing. There are always going to be side effects.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

http://www.bodybuilding.com/

check out this website. there are a bunch of different weight loss pills and reviews by people that have used them. Some good, some not so good. The main thing about weight loss pills is they give you more energy, they'll likely give you jitters and the ones with ephedra are definately ones to stay away from. It's up to the person how they use that energy. If you exercise for 45 mins/day 3 times a week w/out the pills and still excercise 45mins/day 3 times a week with them and don't increase your intensity you likely won't see much of a difference.

You can get energy boosts natural ways w/out the pills though and get better results from your workout. Some people think of carbs as "fat", but it's necessary to have carbs to burn for energy while working out. Make sure that's in your diet. This is a really great website as there are articles from a lot of different experts that will help you no matter what your physical goals are.

I got a little big over the winter and have dropped 35 pounds in less than 3 months, it's all about how dedicated you are to the process.

you could take caffeine pills, get the same effect and not the side effects, not that i'd recommend taking caffeine pills. pills and other gimmics are just a way of a person avoiding the exercise they know deep down they have to do. plus, energy pills really aren't that good for your heart to be keeping up a high bpm all day.

check out your Basal Metabolic Rate online, it's a good way to start. that'll give you a fair idea of the calories you need to consume (or not consume) to start losing weight. keep in mind that a pound is 3500 calories. So with some pretty basic cardio, it wouldn't be hard to be 500 calories under your BMI per day, and then lose a pound per week. avoid the saturated fats and it'll become pretty routine to start checking the backs of labels for a calorie count. it kinda becomes fun to see where you are per day calorie-wise.

fiber is a good food to be taking in, too.

I've tried two styles of weight loss pills. Granted I forgot the names, but the first one was horrible. It caused me to get a very very rapid heart beat, a punchy feeling, and I felt really warm. It was rather scary actually. I took a half dose, I wonder what would have happened if I took a full. (It was orange peel based)

The second one was some thing that made me feel.. euphoric and gave me cotton mouth. It definitely suppressed my desire to eat. But seeing as it's not regulated, who knows what the hell was in it.

Several years ago, I completed a Body-for-Life 12 week challenge, and while I was doing the diet and exercise program, I was also using EAS products. I used Myoplex meal replacement shakes, and Betagen which was (is?) their creatine product with also HMB (I think), and I also used their ephedra product (before I learned that people were dying from it).

If I remember correctly, the recommended dose was 3 capsules twice a day, and I never took more than 2, twice per day. I would feel very VERY alert, and if I wasn't eating enough, would get a little jittery.

Overall, the program worked great, I went from 192 lb. to 178, and went from not fitting into 36 pants into needing a belt with 34s. That was in 12 weeks time.

I could see how someone overdosing on ephedra could really get into trouble, as I was definitely affected by it.

Take a good multi-vitamin, too, if you're not already. You'll feel better and generally stay healthier. Look for the ones with actual "food parts", and not just a bunch of snythetic chemicals.

There has been a lot of questions on multi-vitamins lately. Most of the vitamins you get from them are already being consumed enough with a regular diet, and the only people that should really need supplements are most women (iron supplements only) and pregnant women. Not saying this is my opinion, but it's from some research that I've read on the topic.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

They had a doctor evaluating these on the Today show last week (so take the source with a grain of salt), but their findings were minimal. I think the best one, compared to similar person on similar diet/exercise plan, resulted in an extra 3 pounds lost in a year. I think the pill was Alli, and that the cost was something like $75 a month. Echo everyone who says diet/exercise are the way to go. Maybe spend the money on a nutritionist.

You'd be better served by replacing a meal with "filler". I lost a ton of weight by basically taking half of a meal and replacing it with cabbage, spinach, and apples that have low caloric value and also stick in your stomach for awhile. Also, never drink your calories, soda and high calorie drinks make you fat.

well, kool-aid is still better than soda. half of that can is sugar.

try to eat 4-5 small meals per day instead of three big ones. breakfast is especially important. if you don't eat it, your body shifts into starvation mode from not eating for 12+ hours and starts storing all your fat. eating a carrot in your car on your way to work would do wonders to increase your metabolism.

sgtcluels wrote:

The second one was some thing that made me feel.. euphoric and gave me cotton mouth. It definitely suppressed my desire to eat. But seeing as it's not regulated, who knows what the hell was in it.

Ephadrine(SP?).

Not saying it was smart, but we used to take those for football games, and they would give you that feeling.

well, kool-aid is still better than soda. half of that can is sugar.

try to eat 4-5 small meals per day instead of three big ones. breakfast is especially important. if you don't eat it, your body shifts into starvation mode from not eating for 12+ hours and starts storing all your fat. eating a carrot in your car on your way to work would do wonders to increase your metabolism.

Yea, that's true, but the best way to do it I've found is try going at least a day, maybe a day and a half without eating when you start your diet. I know that goes against a lot of weight loss modes, however I've had to cut 25 or so pounds coming out of football in high school, and then in college I'd have to cut about 40 pounds. Taking that first day, day and a half shrinks your stomach and then you get a real nice kinda jump start on your diet. you get full far easier. In truth, most of us would try to go 2 days doing this.

Then when you're in your diet, the absolute biggest thing you can possibly do is before every mean, every time you eat, drink water. Not just a little bit, but literally try to slam water almost to the point of being uncomfortable. First of all you get hydrated, and that's not only better than diet pills as far as how much energy you're going to get, but it does a great deal to increase your metabolism, which by the way, does not slow down with age, it slows down with lifestyle. If you maintain your identical lifestyle from the time you're 20-80, your metabolism isn't going to change.

Some diet pills will help you, mainly before you're going to run, or get whatever cardio in that you want to get in, and they'll suppress your diet, but they're not a good long term solution and people generally take them thinking that's what's going to help them lose weight. Losing weight comes down very simply, to burning more calories than you take in, but to do it right, you have to still eat the small portions that have been talked about in this previous post.

It's a lifestyle change though. One that's going to make you a healthier, happier person.

Instead of Kool Aid, I'd recommend Crystal Light. The raspberry tea flavor is pretty good, and they make a peach tea, too, that's good.

Water, certainly is best of all, but there are days when I absolutely cannot drink another glass of water for lack of taste.

Or if you're feeling creative, make real lemonade with lemons or limeade with limes, and use Splenda for sweetner. No calories, tasty and vitamin C (I would think).

yeah, Gopher, i'll say i respectfully disagree with you on the not eating part. it's that starvation mode thing again, your metabolism is just going to slow down, thinking you're going to be a while without food. so maybe you'll lose some in that day or two, but the next few meals you eat are going to be stored right away and not really burned as energy. but yeah, it's hard to argue with the results you've got, though losing that much weight that fast might be ok temporarily, but it couldn't be good for someone trying to change a lifestyle.

though to everything else that was said, i couldn't agree more. i actually haven't come across that drinking water strategy before, but that really makes a lot of sense--fill the stomach up before you start eating the calories.

it's been interesting now that i've been exercising most every day now, and just an hour a day. i'm on a mass-building cycle of my weightlifting, doing my best to pound the calories, but because i'm still exercising (naturally), it's been near-impossible to gain weight. the appetite has really shrunk and those protein shakes are so filling it's hard to eat anything else. so for all the pills and all the gimmic diets and all the other stuff, it's just all about regular exercise and everything else falls into place for getting in shape.

i wasn't exactly big to begin with, slender but with a beer gut, and for just 5 months of regular lifting, it's already made a world of difference. i know it was mostly a come-on, but when a random girl at the bar grabbed my left arm and then said "oh, you must work out," it was the coolest feeling in the world.

it's been interesting now that i've been exercising most every day now, and just an hour a day. i'm on a mass-building cycle of my weightlifting, doing my best to pound the calories, but because i'm still exercising (naturally), it's been near-impossible to gain weight. the appetite has really shrunk and those protein shakes are so filling it's hard to eat anything else.
If you are trying to add mass then an hour a day every day is probably too much. Remember, muscle isn't built while working out, but while you're resting. Many people overtrain which stunts their muscle growth. Also, the calories you consume are precious if you're trying to add mass and working out an hour a day just means you have to eat that much more. I'd suggest going to 3-4 times a week, max 45 minutes and don't do much cardio.

What kind of protein shake are you drinking? Is it a pre mixed/thick shake? I use ON whey protein and can easily eat 5-6 meals/day + 4-5 servings of the protein.

sgtcluels wrote:

Ephadrine(SP?).

Not saying it was smart, but we used to take those for football games, and they would give you that feeling.

agreed. This works, but might not be the best way to do it.

I suppose cocaine would work as well. Decreases appitite and increases heart rate.

The YMCA has some GREAT programs if you can get a script from your doc saying you need to get on the commit to be fit program - 65 bucks a month for a family membership is a small price to pay.

You could try the cabbage soup diet - I know a guy who did this and it worked wonders - people say you dont keep that weight off but he seemed to do fine.

Celery is the only food I think that burns calories as you eat it.

Last thing is Grapenuts for 2 meals a day would help Id bet.

If you don't eat any carbohydrates during the week, but still eat enough protein and lots of fat, your body will have no choice but to burn dietary and body fat as fuel. This type of diet isn't for people who just want to loose weight, but more for people who want to loose fat, but keep muscle for athletics and such. Also, I don't think many people can go long without craving carbs and it could be dangerous for someone with heart issues or high cholesterol. I have done it the past three weeks and will keep doing it for the next several to hopefully get a little leaner and quicker for softball, but its not easy. I have however lost at least 4 pounds while maintaining or getting stronger in the gym.

yeah, Gopher, i'll say i respectfully disagree with you on the not eating part. it's that starvation mode thing again, your metabolism is just going to slow down, thinking you're going to be a while without food. so maybe you'll lose some in that day or two, but the next few meals you eat are going to be stored right away and not really burned as energy. but yeah, it's hard to argue with the results you've got, though losing that much weight that fast might be ok temporarily, but it couldn't be good for someone trying to change a lifestyle.

First of all, it's absolutely a terrible lifestyle. You could always tell the guys in college and in high school who "cut the wrong way". The guy who'd make weight, and then just gorge themselves, and then go Wed to Sat without eating and just be gassed. My point was, if you want to get a good start you go a couple days without eating, and you shrink your stomach. It's absolutely amazing how much smaller your stomach gets after not eating for just 48 hours. You go from being able to eat a whole pizza to being able to eat two slices and being full for example.

So no, I'm definitely not suggesting that you do that even on a regular basis, only as an extreme measure to start your diet. And going back to those guys who you could tell did it wrong as they were the guys who'd come in at 200 trying to cut to 174 at 12 pct body fat, and then get down to 74 and still be at 10 pct...meaning they didn't lose much fat. But 2 days isn't going to change your metabolism. And to that end, whoever said you eat a lot of small meals was dead on. You eat 5-6 times a day and you don't ever eat at 7 at night.

And you pound as much water as you can. Water's always a good thing(expect on the friday before you make weight, but I don't think anyone here is worried about that, right?).

though to everything else that was said, i couldn't agree more. i actually haven't come across that drinking water strategy before, but that really makes a lot of sense--fill the stomach up before you start eating the calories.

Yea, I still do it now when I'm not trying to lose weight. Trying to live your life dehydrated as most people do, and living it fully hydrated is about the same as trying to operate at your best when you've been awake for 24 hours. People don't realize just how important water really is to how you feel. So you not only feel better, you don't eat as much.

i wasn't exactly big to begin with, slender but with a beer gut, and for just 5 months of regular lifting, it's already made a world of difference. i know it was mostly a come-on, but when a random girl at the bar grabbed my left arm and then said "oh, you must work out," it was the coolest feeling in the world.

Another thing the average person simply doesn't understand. Yea, you can, and it'll help to lose weight by just riding a bike, or whatever cardio you like, but you're not going to lose it as easy as you do if you're lifting. First of all, take a guy who's 250 and just yoked and then a guy who's 250 with 35 pct body fat. The guy who's got the muscle is going to burn about 50 pct more calories a day. So lifting, you may really be getting stronger, but you're probably not going to lose much weight unless you were real healthy to begin with.

so for all the pills and all the gimmic diets and all the other stuff, it's just all about regular exercise and everything else falls into place for getting in shape.

At BEST they're all supplement. Meaning they HELP you with your physical appearance. They don't do the work for you. Taking them or not talking them, at beast it's only going to help a little bit most likely(unless it's roids, but even then, it's still only going to HELP).

Good old fashion hard work and will power is the way to go. It's the only way that works.

If you don't eat any carbohydrates during the week, but still eat enough protein and lots of fat, your body will have no choice but to burn dietary and body fat as fuel. This type of diet isn't for people who just want to loose weight, but more for people who want to loose fat, but keep muscle for athletics and such. Also, I don't think many people can go long without craving carbs and it could be dangerous for someone with heart issues or high cholesterol. I have done it the past three weeks and will keep doing it for the next several to hopefully get a little leaner and quicker for softball, but its not easy. I have however lost at least 4 pounds while maintaining or getting stronger in the gym.

I'm pretty impressed if you're doing this while getting stronger.

The no carb diet is about the worst diet for someone who's competing in a sport that requires any cardiovascular endurance. This is a big of an extreme example, but when I was a frosh before I took any classes about nutrition, I tried this diet for about a week. I literally couldn't even make it through one practice at the end.

If you don't really need any stamina other than just your daily life, this isn't a bad diet, but it's also one that's not likely to last. You're most likely going to put the weight back on UNLESS you reintroduce carbs to your body SLOWLY. What's going to happen is your body is going to store the carbs once you go off, so most people who love bread, or just crave bread or noodles, or whatever, they go off the diet and they just start eating a ton of it and then they gain that weight back so fast.

Now if you only eat maybe 50 grams of carbs a day for a week, then 75 until you get up to a normal level, that may be alright, and you may maintain if you keep working hard, but otherwise, it's just going to be frustrating.

If you are trying to add mass then an hour a day every day is probably too much. Remember, muscle isn't built while working out, but while you're resting. Many people overtrain which stunts their muscle growth. Also, the calories you consume are precious if you're trying to add mass and working out an hour a day just means you have to eat that much more. I'd suggest going to 3-4 times a week, max 45 minutes and don't do much cardio.

What kind of protein shake are you drinking? Is it a pre mixed/thick shake? I use ON whey protein and can easily eat 5-6 meals/day + 4-5 servings of the protein.

I respectfully don't agree with this. The suggestion that you can work out TOO long to get stronger and bigger to me is a complete inaccuracy. Hell, look at body builders? They work out for about 6 hours a day. And yes, you're literally correct in saying that muscle doesn't build while you're working out, but it doesn't build at all if you don't tear the fibers, and force it to repair itself.

And again, respectfully, but I've never heard anyone say that it's bad to do cardio in order to get stronger. Cardio is absolutely always a great part of a workout.

You do have to make sure that your diet is complete and you have the required calories to have energy and to build muscle, but you don't stop running or whatever in an attempt to get stronger.

Archived