Brewer Fanatic

Reds Fire GM Krivsky, Jocketty To Take Over

GoudaBrew
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What is so great about Jocketty? He lucked out that a 13th round draft choice matured overnight and became the dominant hitter in the league. Additionally, if you look at his trades, the only ones that are clearly winners for the Cards was where he was using the Cardinals larger payroll to pick up a player from another team looking to dump salary: (Renteria, Vina, Edmonds, Darryl Kile.)
What about Chris Carpenter?

Also, the Cards made the playoffs twice before Pujols was called up (96 and 00)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To me, it's not that Jocketty's that good, it's that Krivsky was that bad. Jocketty's a huge upgrade over Krivsky... it makes me very sad.

Was Krivsky really that bad?

He stole Hamilton and turned that into Volquez

Cueto looks like he could become a stud starter

Bruce is one of the best prospects in the game

Votto is a very impressive young firstbaseman

Bailey is a very highly rated young starter

Did he steal Phillips or inherit him?

I like Keppinger quite a bit

Krivsky made some mistakes, but he brought in some fine young players that should make their pretty near future look bright as they get experience. If the Reds end up winning under Jocketty, odds will be high that a good chunk of the reason why they'll win is because of the young players Joketty inherited from Krivsky.

Was Krivsky really that bad?

I'll spot him Brandon Phillips and Josh Hamilton, because those were two moves that definitely worked out very well for them. Arroyo for Pena was also another solid deal. Keppinger for a PTBNL wasn't bad. I'm always hesitant to award points to GMs for drafts, because all of the hard work is done by the scouts ... especially when it comes to latin players like Cueto. To be fair, I wouldn't talk up the farm system under Melvin either, as I think the credit goes to Jack Z and his team.

But actually, running down the list, here's my opinion:

* 2-12-06: Scott Hatteberg signed to a one-year, $750K deal. - positive

* 2-13-06: Adam Dunn signed to two-year, $18.5MM extension. - positive

* 3-20-06: Acquired Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena. - positive

* 3-21-06: Acquired David Ross for Bobby Basham. - neutral

* 4-7-06: Acquired Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens. - positive

* 5-26-06: Traded Cody Ross to Marlins for a player to be named later. - neutral

* 7-6-06: Acquired Eddie Guardado for Travis Chick. - negative

* 7-13-06: Acquired Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris, and Daryl Thompson for Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez, and Ryan Wagner. - very negative

* 7-31-06: Acquired Rheal Cormier for Justin Germano. - neutral

* 7-31-06: Acquired Kyle Lohse for Zach Ward. - positive

* 8-7-06: Acquired Ryan Franklin for a player to be named later. - positive

* 8-16-06: Acquired Scott Schoeneweis for a player to be named later. - positive

* 9-25-06: Signed Juan Castro to a two-year, $2MM extension. - neutral

* 11-20-06: Signed Alex Gonzalez to a three-year, $14MM contract. - neutral

* 11-20-06: Signed Mike Stanton to a two-year, $5.5MM contract. - neutral

* 11-20-06: Traded Jason LaRue to the Royals for a player to be named later. - neutral

* 12-7-06: Acquired Josh Hamilton for cash. - positive

* 12-12-06: Signed David Weathers to a two-year, $5MM contract. - neutral

* 1-2-07: Traded Brendan Harris to Rays for cash. - negative

* 1-10-07: Acquired Jeff Keppinger for Russ Haltiwanger. - positive

* 4-27-07: Traded Chris Denorfia to A's for Marcus McBeth and another player. - neutral

* 11-28-07: Signed Francisco Cordero to a four-year, $46MM contract. - negative

* 12-21-07: Acquired Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton. - neutral

* 1-23-08: Signed Jeremy Affeldt to a one-year, $3MM contract. - neutral

* 2-21-08: Signed Josh Fogg to a one-year, $1MM contract. - neutral

* 3-3-08: Signed Corey Patterson to a one-year, $3MM contract. - negative

After looking at the list, I realized that I was a bit wrong and thought that Krivsky was the one who signed Milton. So, he wasn't AS bad as I thought. I still think the Kearns trade was really, really bad ... as will be the signing of Cordero. But I'm willing to give Krivsky a solid "mediocre to below average" instead of the "god awful" that I previously assigned.

I still think the Kearns trade was really, really bad ... as will be the signing of Cordero.

I think you are letting your personal prejudices about signing relievers to multi-year contracts cloud your opinion a bit. Given how insanely bad the Reds pitching was last year, signing CoCo and Affeldt and trading for Volquez -- were pretty solid moves. They may not work out, but they are certainly not head-scratchers IMO.

I don't think the Kearns/Lopez deal was that bad either -- Neither one of those players has done too much for Washington.

I think you can safely say that Krivsky left the Reds in better shape than the Bowden/O'Brien days.

I believe I said that next to Haren this was the best signing of the off-season. Don't like it one bit.

Haren was traded, and what do you mean about this being an off-season signing?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived