Brewer Fanatic

Reds Fire GM Krivsky, Jocketty To Take Over

GoudaBrew

Per the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky his been fired less that three years after taking over the position several sources have confirmed to the Enquirer's Paul Daugherty.

He will be replaced by Walt Jocketty, who previously was the general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, and who came to Cincinnati this season as special advisor to the president and ceo of the Reds.

A press conference has been scheduled for later this afternoon.

Speculation is that Krivsky had friction with Reds FO personnel (several like Johnny Almaraz had quit); that Castellini was upset that he'd had to eat so many bad contracts -the latest Stanton and Castro; that Dunn's slow start after being extended last season upset Cast, and that Castellini wanted Jocketty last winter but Walt said "Not yet". The disaster that has ben our 4th-5th starters also may be a factor as WK lost out on deals to acquire Bedard and Haren. Most speculation seems centered on WK's inability to "get along", however.

As a diehard Reds fan I'm torn. Jocketty prefers veterans if his stint in St Lou is any indication, and the one thing the Reds have going is a strong farm system. Really, though, Reds fans are mostly in shock right now.

He had to see this coming when the Reds hired Jocketty as a team consultant (or whatever). Krivsky made some alright trades, but some pretty iffy ones too (those deals with the Nats were pretty bad).

Getting Volquez for Hamilton looks to be a good deal for both sides so far, though I'd rather have the pitcher, especially playing at that ball park and with the current OF situation in Cincy.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

The Reds are 9-12, and 5.5 games back. Not a great start, but it's not like they're out of the playoff race yet. Seems like a pretty flimsy reason to fire someone. My guess is that the back office problems came to a head, and ownership just decided they wanted Jocketty in there, regardless.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What is so great about Jocketty? He lucked out that a 13th round draft choice matured overnight and became the dominant hitter in the league. Additionally, if you look at his trades, the only ones that are clearly winners for the Cards was where he was using the Cardinals larger payroll to pick up a player from another team looking to dump salary: (Renteria, Vina, Edmonds, Darryl Kile.)

Jocketty did alright in getting Wainwright, Jason Marquis and Ray King for JD Drew and Eli Marrero, but he missed horribly in giving up Danny Haren, Kiko Calero, and Daric Barton for Mark Mulder.

Plus unless the Reds have the next Albert Pujols in their system, he will be hard pressed to keep the Reds competitive as Dunn, Griffey, and Co. leave town

I have to say as a Brewer fan...I don't like this one bit.

I couldn't agree more. Surprised the Reds did this; most certainly had to have been related to his working environment/interactions. I wonder if Krivsky's pink slip had anything to do with his hiring of Baker. Just a thought.

I wonder if this means Baker will be "one and done". If they don't have a good year, you'd think Jocketty would want to bring in his own guy.

You'd hope Jocketty would just want to get rid of Baker, period (if you're a Reds fan). On principle, I hope he cans Baker, but as a Brewers fan, I hope the marriage lasts.

Plus unless the Reds have the next Albert Pujols in their system, he will be hard pressed to keep the Reds competitive as Dunn, Griffey, and Co. leave town

I don't agree with you here. Dunn & Griffey (if they both leave) should net comp picks at worst, and the Reds have drafted pretty well in recent years. I don't see how adding a solid GM like Jocketty would set back their drafting success. With Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Encarnacion, & Bruce, Cincy has a great young core around whom to build. If Jocketty can make some smart FA signings & trades along the way to augment their homegrown talent base, the Reds will be very dangerous.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As a diehard Reds fan I'm torn. Jocketty prefers veterans if his stint in St Lou is any indication, and the one thing the Reds have going is a strong farm system.
I suppose we could take Bruce off your hands http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't agree with you here. Dunn & Griffey (if they both leave) should net comp picks at worst, and the Reds have drafted pretty well in recent years. I don't see how adding a solid GM like Jocketty would set back their drafting success. With Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Encarnacion, & Bruce, Cincy has a great young core around whom to build. If Jocketty can make some smart FA signings & trades along the way to augment their homegrown talent base, the Reds will be very dangerous.

Dunn was extended last season; if he leaves it will be in a trade. When Griffey leaves, it will probably be to a golf course. Bailey still hasn't done anything, and Votto and Encarnacion are not going to be stars, imo.

Votto & Encarnacion don't have to be stars to be guys to build around. Thanks for correcting me on Dunn -- probably a good signing, since Adam is still relatively young. Once he hits ~ 30, the Reds can unload him on a big-market squad at the deadline & reap some prospects.

As far as I know, the Reds never inked Dunn to an extension -- they just picked up a $13 million option for this year (that also activated a full no-trade clause). I could be wrong, but I feel like I would've remembered if they got a deal done since he's in line to be one of the biggest FA's on the market next winter. Not coming to terms on a long-term deal with Dunn may be part of the reason why Krivsky's being let go, too.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

crewcrazy is correct. I apologize for not checking Cot's earlier. Dunn is on a $13 mil. club option for the 2008 season, then his contract is up. Also of note:

"if club exercised 2008 option, Dunn receives full no-trade clause until 6/15/2008 & limited no-trade clause for the remainder of 2008 (allowing Dunn specify 10 clubs to which he would accept a trade)"

Dunn is no trade til June 15th then he can pick 10 teams to restrict a trade. Basically that's just a leverage ploy, though. Most guys will ok a deal if the team is in the race or the money is right. Junior has a $4 mil buyout or 16.5 million to keep him another year. Probably Junior is gone, Dunn too. With Bruce coming up the Reds will just need to acquire a guy for LF - although there is talk about Encarnacion going to left with Keppinger at third, or less likely Votto to left if Dunn leaves. I guess it would depend on who the Reds could acquire to replace Dunn's bat. None of that will matter if they don't solve the 4th and 5th starter dilemma pdq. Arroyo's collapse is hurting big time. Basically the Reds are getting a chance to win 3 of 5 games when Harang, Cueto and Volquez pitch and getting completely blown out the other 2 games.

Some really nasty rumors coming out of K's firing. Mistreatment of employees, lots of friction. I think most of it's bull. Castellini wanted Jocketty in there. I think that's the gist of the real reason.

Archived