Brewer Fanatic

"We're thinking about the World Series" - Ronny Cedeno

ELCABALLO45

When the Brewers got off to a hot start last year, did anyone say the word world series? Hell, Did any players even mention playoffs? And to have a weak hitting shortstop (yeah I know he hit a grand slam today), who has not done nothing in this league say something like that, it really makes me mad.

We're thinking about the World Series, I think we'll be OK if we keep playing like that.
Can we have a spin-off of Kids Say the Darndest Things to Professional Athletes Say the Most Obvious Things? Gee really Ronny? If the Cubs keep up their pace to win 111 games you think they'll be okay? Thanks for the news flash!

Probably not the most baseball PC thing to say in April, especially when your franchise hasn't been to the World Series in 60-odd years. But I don't think it's totally insane to say that the team is thinking about its ultimate goal.

I sense some nervousness around here about the Cubs already being in first place. I'm here to tell you that is exactly what we want. Last year, I think us being so far ahead for so long was exactly what the Cubs needed to win the division, as all the pressure was on us from May until early Sep. This year, the table will turn. The Cubs will have all the pressure of leading the division from early on and the 100 year WS thing on their backs. The Cubs are the worst franchise in professional sports history at handling pressure. We have a real favorable schedule in July and September, so we will be able to make ground without the pressure of leading the division. The Cubs in first for most of the summer, with the their players already focusing on the WS, is exactly where we want them.

Wow, let's not overreact to a guy feeling good about his red hot, first place team. Jeez.

I agree...if that's the way he feels, so be it, whatever! Let them be over-confident. The Cubs have played more than twice as many home games than road games, so it's still early. Umm, it's not even May yet!

I blame the headline writer. Pick 1 statement from an article and make it the headline - now it becomes an incendiary article. What if the headline had said, "Ramirez starts sinking of Maine!" Would you be as upset? Oh sure somebody would have found that line in the article and some of you would be upset regardless.

I really think there is nothing wrong with thinking about a World Series as that IS the ultimate goal. And right now why shouldn't the guys on the Cubs be excited. A notoriously free swinging team leading the league in OBP, all starters with an OPS over .800, 2nd in pitches per at bat (which I didn't even know was a stat), and best start since 75. Everything is clicking. I think I read on this site that we've played the 15th toughest schedule in the league. Well, don't you think that taking 6 of 6 from the Pirates had something to do with that??? We just outscored the odds-on favorite to win the NLCS 15-2 in 2 games (including a win over a guy that I believe hand-cuffed the Brewers a week ago) We are not talking World Series yet but we are enjoying this run. Are you going to tell me you didn't enjoy your run last year?

I agree its ok for them to think about it ,as all that really matters is how you go about your business of trying to get there.

Been listening to a lot of Chicago radio the past few days, and the recent Cub streak coupled with the struggles of one Eric Gagne and the injury to Sheets have them more convinced than ever that the NL Central is a foregone conclusion. I don't see it that way. I still believe Gagne will be fine, and I think the Brewers will ultimatley have the bullpen advantage. If Sheets injury situation gets more serious, this all changes, but we are sitting virtually even with them, with the Cubs having played a whopping 14 home games against 6 road games, and the Brewers almost opposite at 8 and 12. The Cubs have gotten fat on Houston and Pittsburgh (9 games), while the Brewers gimmies have come in the form of 3 games against SF. The Brewers are still without Cameron, were without Gallardo, and are currently without Sheets, while the Cubs have been without Soriano for a few games (which some would say is a good thing).

Last year at this time, the Brewers were riding high at 13-7, while the Cubs were sitting at 7-13, and we all know how that turned out. The (likely legitimate) explanation given to the Cubs was that Lou was still getting to know his team and working the kinks out, their big guns weren't hitting, etc. Sound familiar? The Brewers are about to pull off the equivalent of a monster in-season trade over the course of the next several days, adding a top of the rotation pitcher (Gallardo/Sheets - depending how you look at it), a very good experienced center fielder, not to mention a fast defensive bench player.

The Brewer team that will take the field on Tuesday will look much more talented, deeper, and more experienced than the one we have seen so far. Injuries are the X factor, but this thing is likely to be undecided until late September. I still believe that the team the is best able to avoid injuury wins the Central.

I hope they are thinking about the World Series. I hope the Cubs, their fans, the announcers, everyone, all keep talking about it. It will make it that much sweeter when the Brewers overtake them, somewhere down the line, and finally make the playoffs.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We are not talking World Series yet but we are enjoying this run.
Who's we? Because Cedeno clearly is talking World Series.

The headline writer...that's a good one. Right up there with "I was taken out of context."

Well since they/ve played a grand total of 6 road games, 3 against the Pirates, and they are only 2 games ahead of us, I am not to worried. I am probably thinking the same thing about the Cubs that they were thinking about us last year at this time. They can't possibly keep this up.

Do I think Lee, Fukodome, Soto, and Johnson are going to keep playing like this? Heck No.

Is Ryan Dempster going to win the Cy Young - When pigs fly

Rickie Weeks, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Bill Hall, and JJ Hardy are all well below their career numbers. If even 2 of those guys revert back to how they have played in the past, we will be even with them.

It would have been a shock if the Cubs weren't off to a hot start. They've played 14 home games already and just 6 on the road, 3 of which came at Pittsburgh. In fact against teams not named Pirates, they are a modest 8-6 and how good are a Mets team that has Brady Clark in the lineup? Now they have 2 in Colorado and then another softy at Washington before the Brewers come to town.

This is all going to catch up to them. They are on the road most of June and July. If the Brewers stay close, they should be able to overtake them.

We just outscored the odds-on favorite to win the NLCS 15-2 in 2 games (including a win over a guy that I believe hand-cuffed the Brewers a week ago)
And we were able to take 2 out of 3 against them on the road and beat the odds-on favorite to win the NL Cy Young.

I understand the excitement of Cubs fans... but when you look at who we're missing, who we've played and where the games have been played (12 road games for the Crew, 6 for the Cubs) I've gotta say that I like our chances.

Are you going to tell me you didn't enjoy your run last year?

Absolutely -- The Cubs are winning the games that they should, and they deserve all the credit for that.

I enjoy watching the Cubs as well, they have some great talent that is really fun to watch right now -- I have no problems with Cub fans enjoying the product their team is producing.

I would love nothing more than a 3 team race, like the NL West last year, where it comes down to the wire.

Archived