Brewer Fanatic

John Smoltz gets 3,000th K

John Smoltz became the 16th pitcher in major league history to reach 3,000 strikeouts when the Atlanta Braves' right-hander struck out Washington's Felipe Lopez in the third inning.
John Smoltz already is the lone member of the 200-win, 150-save club. Now, the Atlanta Braves right-hander is the 16th pitcher to fan 3,000 hitters.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24263779/

Smoltzie has been one of my favorite players in baseball for a long long time. Very happy to see him set another milestone. Congrats Smoltzie!

i've gotten to seee smoltz pitch about 15 times over his career...he domintaes a game...and while he's been in the shadow of many others, he's always been a top notch starter...he still has the power and ability to win 15-20 games and strike out 200 a year in his forties...something all of his contemporaries just can't do anymore...

smoltz is a hall of famer...and he's probably got a couple more seasons in him as well...

What is awesome to me is that his velocity can still get 95+. How would he rank of the big three from Atlanta? I would rank Maddux ahead of him and Glavine behind him, so 2nd I suppose.
3TO Apostle

the wife and I were talking today about how cool it would be for Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux to all retire in the same season so they could, potentially, all go into the HOF at the same time.

Please note that I said "potentially." I don't think it would happen, but it'd be pretty neat.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Jamie, again the wife and I were talking about that, too. So many guys have hit their 3000 strikeout milestone in the last 20 years (since Carlton and Ryan beat Walter Johnson's then-record in the '80s). Amazing stuff.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

How would he rank of the big three from Atlanta?

Honestly, he might be the best of the three. You have to consider that 4 seasons of Smoltz's career were spent in the closer role (& recovering from injury for 2000). Maddux was luckier & remained healthier... and is arguably the better pitcher. I just don't think it's cut-&-dried that the order is Mad.-Smoltz-Glavine.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Smoltz is more than a Hall of Famer; he's a slam dunk 1st ballot Hall of Famer and anyone who doesn't vote for him is a moron extraordinaire.

I think you are right. He was really a more talented pitcher than Maddux or Glavine, but couldn't stay as healthy as those guys. That's no knock though, Glavine and Maddux are freaks of nature.

Archived