Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall still getting a pass

bobskube
As for Hall, he's been maddening lately. I've just learned to accept that he'll be a .250-.260 hitter with a .320-.330 OBP with around 20 homers and a lot of doubles and strikeouts. Obviously not ideal but when you look at some alternatives at 3rd base he's not horrible either. Especially when you consider the defense we saw from that position last year and the much improved defense that Hall brings. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, bobskube and hauser back to back. All we need is GenoSeligPrieb and xisxisxis in there and this could be the most negative thread EVERZ!!11!

Point of thread: Not to complain that Bill Hall sucks, but to complain that there are no threads complaining that Bill Hall sucks.

Got it.

All we need is GenoSeligPrieb and xisxisxis in there and this could be the most negative thread EVERZ!!11!

Sorry I can't be accommodating RyDogg, but thanks for pigeon-holing Geno and me or should I say stereotyping.

My only negativity these days is towards JJ Hardy and the free ride he gets compared to all the bashing of Hall and Weeks.

All we need is GenoSeligPrieb and xisxisxis in there and this could be the most negative thread EVERZ!!11!

Sorry I can't be accommodating RyDogg, but thanks for pigeon-holing Geno and me or should I say stereotyping.

My only negativity these days is towards JJ Hardy and the free ride he gets compared to all the bashing of Hall and Weeks.

This baffles me since Hardy was better than Hall last year and has been better so far this year. I mean sure you want to complain about Hardy's slow start that is fine but seems like an odd time to say he is somehow worse than Hall.

Rydogg - I feel kind of slighted. Maybe I'm just getting too old. Where has all my negativity gone? brian hasn't even given me a warning yet on my posts. you'd think I'd have at least one warning/strike by now. but no.

I wrote a lot about hall in the off season - mainly in threads about trying to acquire Glaus and rolen, and in other threads where posters were not sure which bill hall would show up this year- the 2006 version or the 2007 version. My thoughts about hall haven't changed any from my views expressed in the Winter. bill hall will be a .260 hitter with 25 homers , and fill the rest in. With fielder, hart and braun, hall doesn't have to be a power hitter. he doesn't have to swing for the fences. and hal l is not a .300 hitter.

With that said, Glaus still hasn't hit a homer for the cards and his batting average is also not worth bragging about. and the great Rolen is still injured as everybody predicted he would be. Crede has looked nice, but the white Sox wanted hart in return for Crede. So given a choice of rolen or glaus, I think keeping hall has turned out to be the best alternative.

I'd like t o see improvement from hall, but he's doing a lot better tha n wha t we could have had.

again, I ask, what has happened to me? a positive post from reed? I've lost it. i think I may be coming down with a case of brewer fever. What happened to my objectivity?

Sheesh, Big Reed! First you cite OBP in support of one of your arguments, now a positive, well-rounded & informed post on Hall & 3B options... what's next, examining how ERA can be overwhelmingly affected by poor infield defense!?

( http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif We luvs ya, Reed)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For all the talk of being and Ofer or his ankle hurting him last year I dont by it. What will be the cause for him hitting 220 this year while he plays??

So you're using his future Batting Average to argue a point?

Ok, let me play. What'll be said about Bill Hall when he hits .320 this year?

Edit-To keep this to one post, since I know how much TwoLiveBrew hates multiple postshttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Crede has looked nice, but the white Sox wanted hart in return for Crede. So given a choice of rolen or glaus, I think keeping hall has turned out to be the best alternative.

No they didn't. There's no way. That's such an asinine suggestion, that it's impossible they asked for something like that.

Of course I've got no actual knowledge of what they asked for, but that just seems to patently absurd, they couldn't have. Beyond that fact that Corey Hart is the better player, he's cheaper, younger and under our control longer.

Question is, why is it we are ALWAYS complaining about SOMEONE??

Would you prefer Counsell everyday at 3b? Branyan? are you ready to give up on someone after 3+ weeks of a season?

Everyday I come to this site and there is a public lynching going on. Yost, Turnbow, Gross, Weeks, now Hall. Sheets occaisonally. People need to settle down and give it a rest.

He'll come around. He is always going to K a lot, he isnt going to walk a ton, he is going to hit about .260, hit 15-25 Hrs...yadda yadda yadda...

This has to go up as my favorite post ever on any board.

For all the talk of sample sizes and what not, there's an awful lot of knee jerk whining on here. Now this specific thread may not be "whining", but it's certainly full fledged complaining. Just let it play out and see where we're at in a couple months. Not saying you can't talk about who should be playing and who shouldn't, but you're right, there is thread after thread after thread about how terrible this player is, how bad our pitching staff is, how bad it's going to be in the future, how we don't have a playoff caliber staff, how Weeks is a bust, ect...ect...

I also just simply don't agree with the premise that he's a selfish player. He's just not a great player, 2006 notwithstanding.

That said, he hit two solid singles right up the middle today and was looking great at the plate. His approach looked fantastic. This is when Bill Hall gets locked in, goes the other way, and then hooks that outside pitch like nobody I know and goes on a tear.

Edit-To keep this to one post, since I know how much TwoLiveBrew hates multiple postshttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hooray! It's so much more efficient...

And, iirc, the rumor this offseason was that the Cards asked for Hart in the Rolen discussions; not sure if I heard or didn't hear that the ChiSux asked for Corey.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hooray! It's so much more efficient...

And, iirc, the rumor this offseason was that the Cards asked for Hart in the Rolen discussions; not sure if I heard or didn't hear that the ChiSux asked for Corey.

That would make more sense. Clearly that's just the opening bid, and one the Brewers would never take, but something the Cards would have to ask for. Asking for Hart in exchange for Crede is so over the top, that it's hard to believe. Not that I don't, just that it's hard.

I don't really see why it should be assumed he'll never hit more than 25 HR again. He's on a significantly faster rate this season while sporting a lower than expected average. 30 HR wouldn't surprise me at all. More than 35 would surprise me a lot.

Sorry David! You and Geno are more old school anti Selig ownership negative, which never really bothered me since it was probably warranted. You guys were the old guard (and have since lightened up since Melvin and Attanasio have taken over) while the new guard seems to have unrealistic expectations of the players to never slump, never have back to back 0-fers and never let in a run after the 7th inning.

I apologize for lumping you in with that.

This baffles me since Hardy was better than Hall last year and has been better so far this year.

Cherry-picking data baffles me.

Career OPS numbers:

Hall .782

Hardy .741

JJ Hardy 2007 = .784

I'm not sure how 3 super-hot months erase 10 months of crappy performance and the numbers indicate that they don't.

I mean sure you want to complain about Hardy's slow start that is fine but seems like an odd time to say he is somehow worse than Hall.

Again, let's not cherry-pick. How about Hardy's craptastic 2005 and his sucktastic 2006, or his disappearing act the last 60% of 2007 and all of 2008 (so far). I'm being a bit rough on JJ, but if we want to drag Bill Hall and Rickie Weeks around town tied to the back of our pickup trucks, maybe we should also be treating JJ with the same disdain. I'll say it again for all 3, as soon as they become expensive we should be seriously looking at replacements (especially if the right deal comes along). There's no reason to panic now, but the money could be spent better especially if it's a question of signing Braun, Fielder and Yo long term.

The Bill Hall fan bus has come back again because he has a coupe of walk off homers. This pretty much all he has done this season with the bat. He is batting around 200 all season. He is getting paid to produce a little more, IF he keeps up the homer pace he can get away with a low average but I dont see it happening.

Hall has been very solid at 3B which is his spot for defense. One of my best friend's boss went to the fantasy camp for the Brewers this year and he asked one of the returning coaches what was with Hall. Coach replied he is one of the dumbest players he has seen. Hall has issues lining up correctly in the OF and also SS when on defense. He also has not taken to coaching when it comes to his approach in the box.

Hall is an average player and not the all star that his fan club posted here two years ago.

1. Nobody calls him an All Star. I dont recall any time where I have seen someone refer to him as All-Star Bill Hall.

2. Your friend's boss went to a fantasy camp and asked a "returning coach" about Hall and the coach just replied to some stranger that Hall was one of the dumbest players he has seen?? I have a really hard time believing that someone associated with the Brewers would say that about one of their players to some schmo who was at a fantasy camp.

3. You are taking an anonymous fantasy camp coach --> your friends boss --> your friend --> you as gospel? Really?

4. Hall is an average player, and average 3b, I agree, so why are you saying that he sucks all the time? Last season, in what was a down year for Hall he ranked 17th among qualified 3b in OPS. That is just a shade below average (as there would be 30 starting 3b). This season, despite his struggles he is 18th. When, not IF, he ups his average to around .250 I would expect Hall to be an above average 3b, somewhere in the top 12-14 range.

Looking at some of the things Hall does on the field leads me to believe that he might not listen to coaches very much. For starters his baserunning is terrible despite having good speed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

RyDogg two years ago on this site posters had it all over that Hall was an all star and was better than Jeter and a boat load of other guys.

You dont have to believe what I said about the coach, I know what I heard and believe it.

Two years ago Bill Hall lead all shortstops in HRs and his numbers compared nicely to Jeter's and he was younger.

Are you mad because he isnt Jeter? You seem to not like Hall. What do you suggest we do?

Options are

1. PLay him

2. Bench him in favor of Counsell

3. Release him

4. Trade him, but only if a deal can get worked out with another team, if not, choose one of the three listed above.

Archived