Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall still getting a pass

bobskube

The guy has a ton of talent, no doubt, but always wants to play the role of hero.

Perception > Reality

There's a reason Branyan is playing in the minor leagues at 32.

He's terrible.

Look into this. You will find that you're surprised. Terrible? Wow.

Actually, I'd rather not change that channel and simply have rational discussions about the Milwaukee Brewers. Is that option B?

Rluz, there are plenty of places for crap like this -- take it to the ESPN boards.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Hall doesn't get a "pass" so much as we have accepted ths fact that he is going to show flashes of brilliance mixed with long stretches where it looks like he would strike out at tee ball. I also agree he doesn't have a firm grasp of his own abilities which shows in his base running. After his 2005 season I thought he might be a 20-20 guy, but it turns out he is a terrible base stealer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm a huge Bill Hall fan. Probably my second favorite guy on the team behind Braun. But besides the HR and a few key hits he has looked bad this season. Almost like a new 3TO, HR, K or Ground Out to SS. If he ever learns to consistently drive the ball to RCF and RF he will be incredible. I just don't know if he will learn if he hasn't yet. That being said he still could hit .260-.270 this season and hit 25 HR which is fine by me since he is also playing very nice at 3B.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Does Bill Hall get too much man love around here? Absolutely, he's a board favorite and always has been.

However, all these "waaaaa" threads are the same, the only difference is if you like person people are complaining about, then you argue for your guy.

Why is every time a reliever screws up we were Yosted? Or someone strikes out we were Jenkins'd or Halled? Made an error? We were Weeks'd...

Blah, blah ,blah, blah... it's all the same illogical banter about nothing. No major league team outside of the chosen few big spenders will ever have a star and every position, and even Yankees and Bo Sox have holes in their teams.

Melvin said it best, you try to get as many above average players on your team as possible.

I would love to go your softball games and tear you guys apart for everything little you do, that would be fun. It's all so easy when you're sitting in your chair posting on the internet...

The sky isn't falling, and even if it is, what impact on it do you have?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There's a reason Branyan is playing in the minor leagues at 32.

He's terrible.

Look into this. You will find that you're surprised. Terrible? Wow.

I stand by the terrible comments.

5 organizations in 2 years.

No team would even invite him to spring training.

Playing in the minors at 32.

Terrible with a capital T.

Then I can see you did no further research. # of org.'s in a career is an awful way to evaluate a player. Career OPS over .800 with roughly 2,000 ABs, however, is a much better method.

Yeah, they were awful. Sorry, I couldn't resist. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

In all seriousness, though, the three points you used just now (5 organizations in 2 years, etc.) belonged in your first post. Simply saying "he's terrible" and running along does nothing to contribute to conversation.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think most of us are just happy to have a guy at 3rd base who actually plays major league caliber defense at that position.

As time goes on people will come to take that for granted and focus on his offensive problems should they continue.

Lets hope he turns it around.

Everyday I come to this site and there is a public lynching going on. Yost, Turnbow, Gross, Weeks, now Hall. Sheets occaisonally. People need to settle down and give it a rest.

Well, I'll still keep my torch around for the public lynching of Brian the Automator. Why does that guy keep costing us wins? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hall will come around. He's a guess hitter who's had to face a number of tough pitchers early in the season. He will feast on the lesser pitchers (which for Hall includes anyone wearing a Reds jersey) and bump his numbers up. He'll never have the high avg or obp, but should hit .260 with a good SLG. Hall had one great year after several good years. Weeks has yet to put up one good year. That is why there is more concern with one over the other.

I wouldn't be against dropping Hall another spot or two, but there isn't many hitting on the entire team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

let's complain about hall when he's not leading the team in HR and RBI.

I'm with Dr. Wood on this one. He's outslugging both Braun and Fielder, leads the team in RBI and extra base hits. If we need to be patient with Fielder, Weeks, Braun etc, then we need to be patient with Hall too.

One note to keep in mind: In 30% of the Brewers games, they've faced the opponents ace (Harang and Wainwright twice, once each Zambrano and Santana). Just 3 times have they seen a 5th starter (Correia, Fogg, Figueroa). Tonight they face another ace in Hamels. Sooner or later that is going to even out and the bats should reflect that.

Good points, Briggs. The one imo most pertinent to this thread is Billy Hall's love affair with XBH. Even in a total injury-induced down year last season, Hall posted 35 2Bs to go along with his 14 HR. This season, there's a strong chance we'll see 40+ 2Bs & 20+ HR. That's great production.

just like Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Weeks.... well pretty much every Brewer hitter besides Kendall and Counsell... Hall is going to hit better as the season progresses. As has been mentioned he's leading our team in homers and RBI, so I'm ok with him at .200 with good defense for now, knowing he'll improve.

I just caught I read the first couple pages of this thread and I think people missed the point of this thread.

I just wanted to point out that Billy continually struggles and people instead focus their venom on others. I know that Billy won't bat .180 all year, but I do believe he is still a bit selfish at the plate and it annoys me. You may have a different perspective, but I do not see why others cant see Billy's issues at the plate. I honestly dont see Billy batting .250 with a .300 OBP this year. I hope I'm wrong.

The only other Brewer I pick on is Turnbow and those reasons are well documented so don't typecast me as a whiner because I cheer loud and never boo, I just point out glaring weaknesses I see.

Bill Hall was a great athlete when drafted and he has turned that into an average major league player. There is nothing with this at all.

My issue was two years ago when people posted he was going to be an all star and was better than Jeter and so many other players in the game.

Bill Hall always has and will be a big hacker at the plate. He will take a lot of 1-4 nights during the season. But what people will recall about Bill Hall is that he was on ESPN for hitting a late game homerun or jacking one with a pin bat. If Hall would become for consistent there would be less issues with him. For all the talk of being and Ofer or his ankle hurting him last year I dont by it. What will be the cause for him hitting 220 this year while he plays??

For all the talk of being and Ofer or his ankle hurting him last year I dont by it.

I guess it's your prerogative whether or not to ignore medical fact. To me, having the ankle of your plant leg hurt as much as Hall's did last year sure makes sense as to why his power numbers were down. The notion that Hall is going to hit .220 is pretty sensationalistic & inaccurate.

Bill Hall is going to have a mediocre OBP and AVG. He just isn't a .300 hitter with a great eye. But, he has plenty of pop to overcome any deficiency in the BA/OBP department to be a positive part of the brewers lineup from slots 5-7. Really, I just can't bring myself to complain about a .260/.330/.500 line (my guess at his season line) from the second half of the lineup.

Sure, he's definitely underperforming right now, but I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with his approach right now. We've seen him hit base hits, doubles and even a homer to the opposite field. For the past few years, his plate discipline is certainly better than Ryan Braun (which I hope changes from Ryan's end). He's shown some ability in working the count and taking walks the past couple of years, he just isn't likely to hit for a high enough avg to bump his obp up to the elite range.

I just caught I read the first couple pages of this thread and I think people missed the point of this thread.
I don't think people missed the point. There just aren't high expectaions for Hall like there are for others on our team. Most realize he has a poor approach and is a bottom of the order hitter.

I guess it's your prerogative whether or not to ignore medical fact. To me, having the ankle of your plant leg hurt as much as Hall's did last year sure makes sense as to why his power numbers were down. The notion that Hall is going to hit .220 is pretty sensationalistic & inaccurate.

He only had 9 HR by the all-star break last year. I think the ankle bothered him for the 2nd half of last year. I also don't think he should be expected to hit more than 20-25 HR in a year ever again.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived