Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall still getting a pass

bobskube

He has been solid in the field, but absolutely brutal at the plate. He has 25 Ks vs 2 walks, a solid .205 OBP with .185 average, .649 OPS, and this is for 85 ABS.

Because he has gotten a couple of timely hits, people give him a freebie on here and focus venom on Rickie. Why? Maybe because Rickie was the second pick of the draft. Let's forget that and focus on how bad Hall has actually been. He never starts rallies because he just wants to hit a homer.

Case in point was last night against Cardinals where he refused to take a walk and ended up getting the winning run caught at third.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Billy looked pretty lost at the plate today. (For the past 3 games actually.) He's playing some good 'D' which is nice, but each game leads me closer to the thought that Billy is best suited in a platoon role. If we could pick up a Blalock our lineup would be pretty stellar.

Like someone mentioned in the IGT, I can't believe the guy has 6 HR and 16 RBI.

I think the whole offense has been so crappy that nobody is focusing on a single player. If Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, and Rickie were at or near expectations while Hall was at his current production, there'd probably be far more criticism. Then again, we'd also be riding high on a commanding division lead, so maybe Bill would still be given a free pass.

I'll take Bill Hall's occasional sweet stroke for his pretty regularly good defense at third base. After 3/4 of a year watching Braun (and Counselino the other 1/4) last year, it's kind of nice to have a more dependable glove at the hot corner again. (Koskie was good in 2006 for 1/3 of the year).

Bill Hall will get hot. C'mon, Mother's Day is a bit over 2 weeks away.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was saying the same thing at my softball game tonight and I was going to post pretty much the same thread when I got home. Does Hall ever shorten his swing?!? EVER??? He'll get down in the count 0-2 or 1-2 and he'll still be swinging his lumbering homerun swing (of course, I'm not sure if he has any other swing). I really think Hall is being anti-team at the plate. He wants to get back to 35 homeruns even if it means he's competing with Johnny Estrada for OBP.

Bill Hall's though process at the plate...

Pitch 1: I'll just rest the bat on my shoulder to get a good feel for this pitcher. *Strike One*

Pitch 2: Bill Hall time. Swing for the fences...and miss. *Strike Two*

Every other pitch: God I hope I can just foul it off so I don't strike out again!

He has been the most frustrating to watch. But he benefits over Rickie because he has played very good defense. In addition, he is allowed to swing for the fences a little more in the 6 spot.

Question is, why is it we are ALWAYS complaining about SOMEONE??

Would you prefer Counsell everyday at 3b? Branyan? are you ready to give up on someone after 3+ weeks of a season?

Everyday I come to this site and there is a public lynching going on. Yost, Turnbow, Gross, Weeks, now Hall. Sheets occaisonally. People need to settle down and give it a rest.

He'll come around. He is always going to K a lot, he isnt going to walk a ton, he is going to hit about .260, hit 15-25 Hrs...yadda yadda yadda...

Would you prefer Counsell everyday at 3b? Branyan? are you ready to give up on someone after 3+ weeks of a season?

Everyday I come to this site and there is a public lynching going on. Yost, Turnbow, Gross, Weeks, now Hall. Sheets occaisonally. People need to settle down and give it a rest.

He'll come around. He is always going to K a lot, he isnt going to walk a ton, he is going to hit about .260, hit 15-25 Hrs...yadda yadda yadda...

Rydogg

The difference in my post is that I believe he is a "selfish" or maybe a "dumb" player. The guy has a ton of talent, no doubt, but always wants to play the role of hero. This is what irritates me more than the other guys. I believe those guys are really pressing while I think that Hall is just thinking about his next home run trot. Bill has more experience than all those kids and he should lead by example. It figures that he trains with Jenkins in Arizona in the offseason. They are very similar offensive players from opposite sides of the plate.

Also, Counsell or Branyan at third-no. Give up on Hall-no. Weeks and Sheets-No.

Turnbow and Yost-absolutely

A-freakin-MEN

I'm already sick of some of the "characters" that seem to appear on this board when the Brewers are losing (or at least not hitting the giddy heights of expectation).

I shudder to think how it'll play out nearer September when it's gut-check time.

This team, and pretty much every MLB team in history loses 60 games a year. I know it's been a while since the fanbase had anything to root for, and I know our window isn't endless, but come on. This should be a fun ride, but it's a rollercoaster, not a helter skelter.

No where in his post did he suggest replacing Hall, nor did he say he is ready to give up on him. In fact a lot of it was why are people so harsh on Rickie but not Hall, which is a valid point. Why shouldn't people be able to voice their displeasure when someone's playing poorly?

The topic of the thread was Why should we NOT be busting Hall's chops, and then he goes on to say "Lets focus on how bad Hall is" and he then calls him a "selfish" and/or "dumb" player.

A guy who spent two years as a super sub, hit a ton, then was moved to OF, still hit so-so and then was moved AGAIN to the IF and is off to a slow start all while never complaining, never saying a word about is selfish?

Please. Save it.

I wouldn't want Branyan playing full time, but man would a Bill Hall/Russell Branyan platoon be nice.

Branyan has a career .811 OPS vs. righties. Too bad he can only really play third or maybe first base...

There's a reason Branyan is playing in the minor leagues at 32.

He's terrible.

Why is anyone who isn't a perrenial all star terrible? I recall getting decent production out of the four headed monster that year the crew went .500.

Regarding Bill, I wouldn't mind seeing him sit about 1.5 times (3 over 2) a week right now against a tougher righty and let counsell play, who is more reliable in the OBP department.

To be clear, I feel that Hall has been one of the best team guys we've had the past few years. He never complained when he was utility man/super sub and he never complained when he had to change starting positions. BUT, I really feel his plate approach has been selfish lately. As someone said above, he gets a spurt of homeruns and then he wants to be Mr. Hero. I don't want him moved or platooned, and as great as "clutch Craig" has been so far this year, I definately don't want him getting more starts over Hall. Hall can swing as hard as he wants at the first two strikes, but I want to see him shorten his swing at least a little bit after two strikes. Also, I can complain when I want about a player.

I shudder to think how it'll play out nearer September when it's gut-check time.
ugh, I still have nightmarish thoughts about last September and what it was like around here at times.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wow how soon we forget. The sweet little stroking of the ball to right center to win the game in extra innings against Cincinnati was a perfect example of not trying to do to much. He took a pitch that was about 6 inches outside and went with the pitch and stroked it into right center field to drive in the two go ahead runs.

I think Hall gets a "pass" because most fans have long ago accepted his offensive limitations. He's a freeswinger with little plate discipline, but he can really put a charge in a ball if he guesses right. I guess I could get mad at him for not being a better plater but what would be the point? He is what he his.

I dunno, I had sort of hoped going into this season that, patience-wise, he'd turn out to be somewhere in between the 40 and 63 walks he's drawn the last 2 years. I haven't accepted that he's the sort of hacker that needs 20 PA to draw one walk, which it may yet turn out that he is. And if that's the case, Joe Dillon should probably be the everyday 3B.

I think Hall gets a "pass" because most fans have long ago accepted his offensive limitations. He's a freeswinger with little plate discipline, but he can really put a charge in a ball if he guesses right. I guess I could get mad at him for not being a better plater but what would be the point? He is what he his.

Right. Hall is the Geoff Jenkins of 3rd base. And everyone here accepted Geoff for what he was and howled in fury when he was finally released. Remember? How "most fans" just accepted and appreciated a player with offensive limitations?

Please. Convince Yost that Hall needs to sit, at least when the Brewers play the Reds! I reserve that intense loathing and hate for Bill Hall...the kind you have for a guy who seems to single handedly kill your team every time. He flat out destroys the Reds regularly. Here's how you can make Bill Hall a Hall of Famer. Buy him glasses with imprints of a Reds pitcher on the lenses. He'll see a Reds pitcher every game and flat out rake. Sheesh. Bill freakin Hall....muttering...under breath...dang Bill Hall....

Archived