Brewer Fanatic

4/23/08 Phillies (Hamels) at Brewers (Bush): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It matters to the extent that we can't teach our guys proper plate discipline if they keep getting hosed like that.

There will be bad calls, but when our guys are swinging at early pitches that aren't in the zone it doesn't matter. We can't blame losses on bad calls -- even if there are some. I hate blaming games on umps and yea it was a bad call, but the Brewers have to deal with it. 2 guys on and zero outs and nobody moving up a base can't be blamed on an ump. I do give Fielder a ton of credit for talking to the ump in a civil way about it.

The ump won;t give Bush a low strike hance the problems

I agree with that, but he groved some pretty nice home run pitches to the balls that went out in my opinion. It happens and I'm not too worried about it.

Pat Burrell and Chase Utley are 1 and 2 in the NL in home runs. If Bush gives up solo home runs to each of them I'm not going to be all up in arms about it. It's our 4th/5th/6th best starter (depending on how you view him) vs. a very good pitcher. I'm really okay with 6 innings pitched and 4 runs given up by Bush.

Agreed but in both cases it was 3-1 count meaning he felt like he had to get something up

True, but he didn't make the pitches he had to. He's getting squeezed a bit, but with the Phillies power it's tough to have to hit spots. I do agree with you, but I hate to blame results on the umps. Bush isn't an ideal guy to have to hit spots since he doesn't have a real + pitch if his location is off and he's behind in the count.

Archived