Brewer Fanatic

4/23/08 Phillies (Hamels) at Brewers (Bush): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

I'm not going to make excuses on what pitcher the Brewers face --- at least Hamels is a lefty. The offense has struggled lately and it still is. There isn't such a thing as a weak schedule in a 162 game season. The boys gotta have better at bats. That's the disappointing part of it.

I gotta' say that I have my doubts about all of Weeks, Braun, Fielder, Hall, Hart and Hardy continuing at the rate they're at. As one guy put it in the "Cubs, World Series" thread, even if just two of those guys heat up, we'll be okay. I'm not too worried about the hitting, but the bullpen is where I think our success will be determined.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It had nothing to do with that Stetter was going to face the lefties--Bush was there for only the first hitter. He's saving his bench for the chance this game may go extra innigns nad run out of players in the 10th

How? He only has 2 bench players (I don't consider the catcher as a bench player). Would Counsell or Gwynn have gotten Hardy home? Or are you thinking Kendall would've done well? It just wasn't the right time in my mind to gamble, but I do see your point. Bush's pitch count was already pretty high.

It's nice not having to cringe seeing Jenk's facing a lefty.

I'm not going to make excuses on what pitcher the Brewers face --- at least Hamels is a lefty.

I'm not necessarily making excuses, but I'd be much more concerned with the Crews offense if they were in a slump against mostly back-end of the rotation guys. All I'm saying is it's sort of hard to expect the Brewers offense to get in a groove when every other night they're facing a very good pitcher

I gotta' say that I have my doubts about all of Weeks, Braun, Fielder, Hall, Hart and Hardy continuing at the rate they're at.

I agree. My point is I don't care who the pitcher is. The bats will hopefully come around and we won't have to worry about the pitcher or the ump's strike zone.

As far as Stetter, I've met him a few times in Nashville and he's flat out a funny guy. I wish the best to him. I don't think his stuff is great, but I do think is wind up is causing for some problems for the hitters right now. I don't know if that'll be a long-term thing or if they'll figure it out, but I'm really happy for Mitch. Great job so far!

All but one of those were 10 innings. With 14 freakin' pitchers that shouldn't make a huge difference.

Well, with that said, it doesn't help that in those ten inning games our starter could only go five or six innings at best. Yost has had enough faults so far this season, but I don't think the fact that our bullpen is depleted is one of them.

I'm kind of surprised Cole is back in after 110 pitches. Please get tired soon!

This is making me think of one of my favorite games from last year with the Brewers comeback off Hamels last year. All we need to do is take the lead here and then have Hart rob a home run at the end of the game http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Can someone explain why Shouse, as a bullpen lefty, is pretty much a LOOGY, but Stetter is used multiple innings?

Because historically Stetter hasn't been used as a LOOGY in the minors and has pitched multipled innings. Shouse has been used as a LOOGY for most of his career. Stetter's wind up causes righties to miss on his pitches and allows him to be effective. Stetter is used to being used 1 inning plus.

Archived