Brewer Fanatic

OF Gabe Gross traded to Tampa Bay for minor league pitcher Josh Butler

sargennm

That was an exaggeration, obviously. Actually though, the Brewers only have 51 walks as a team, and Gross has 10. That's nearly 20% of the team's walk total, and Gross only has 43 AB's.

Now its obvious. Also, 57 team walks - just to stat nit pick http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the event that somebody gets hurt, I'd much rather have Gross in a fulltime outfield spot over Kapler or Gwynn. Also, I think you're putting too much stock in pinch-hitting stats, and not enough stock in how badly this offense needs guys who can take pitches and draw walks.

Too much stock in pinch-hitting stats? That's all he'd do the rest of the year once Cameron comes back.

What I was trying to say is that I don't think pinch-hitting stats are necessarily a very good indicator of a player's pinch-hitting skills. 88 at-bats, scattered over 3 years, doesn't paint a very complete or accurate picture, in my mind.

That was an exaggeration, obviously. Actually though, the Brewers only have 51 walks as a team, and Gross has 10. That's nearly 20% of the team's walk total, and Gross only has 43 AB's.

Now its obvious. Also, 57 team walks - just to stat nit pick http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Oops. The stats I was looking at probably didn't have today's game in there. I stand by my point, though, that the man is a walking machine compared to most of the rest of the team! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Too much stock in pinch-hitting stats? That's all he'd do the rest of the year once Cameron comes back.

Unless someone gets hurt, in which case you're stuck with Kapler, who has been absolutely terrible/out of baseball for the past six years and has had a good half month in 2008, or Gwynn, who is ideally a pinch-runner/defensive replacement.

Unless someone gets hurt, in which case you're stuck with Kapler, who has been absolutely terrible/out of baseball for the past six years and has had a good half month in 2008, or Gwynn, who is ideally a pinch-runner/defensive replacement.
Don't forget Crazy Joe Dillon.

Good luck Gabe...thanks for the hustle today!!! Great way to end it. As much as I like Gabe, there is logjam in the OF once Cameron is back. TGJ is a better defensive replacement and Pinch Runner. As someone mentioned previously, Gross is a guy that seems to need to play everyday, making TGJ possibly a better PH. If he gets some regular time, he can do ok as a corner OF.

I wish him nothing but good luck...he seems like a great guy.

Welcome back TGJ!!!

Good for Gabe. He's a solid bench player. His problem was that in those brief times he got regular playing time, he didn't do enough to convince anyone that he's an everyday player. He should take Cliff Floyd's role with Tampa for now, dhing and extra OF. Maybe he can show more for them. I hope the Brewers reward him with a nice playoff share despite his brief stay in 2008. He'd also be a guy you could go after late in the year if a need arises.

The bottom line is the Brewers couldn't keep holding Gwynn back. He might not ever be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder too, but it wasn't doing him any good to play more in AAA.

I hear what you're saying, but if someone gets hurt for an extended period, does it really matter? What is the incremental difference between a Kapler/Gross platoon and a Kapler/Gwynn platoon? Even if you take the platoon out of it, if we have to replace Cameron, Braun or Hart on an everyday basis is Gabe Gross playing every day gonna make any kind of difference over the other two? There is little in his career to support that.

The Brewers have to feel good that the team runs 30 deep at this point. Obviously if they lose a Prince, Braun or Sheets type of player, it will hurt bad, but they have a lot of options right now. Bringing up guys like Stetter, Dillon, Hernan and feeling confident in getting some production will give this team more staying power. I can't imagine the Brewers of a few years ago letting a player like Gross (not saying he's an all-star or anything) go for a low-level prospect.

There goes our 4th best outfielder.

I pretty much echo brettac's comments as well as DougJones's comments on Gross. He was a solid player that the stupid fans started hating because he got off to a 2-20 start while mostly pinch hitting. He gets a week of starts and he starts pounding the ball.

Meanwhile Gwynn is loved because he is fast, gritty and a gamer. Oh and because his name is Gwynn.

Gross isnt a worldbeater by any means, but he is about as good a 4th OF as you can expect to have.

As much ribbing as I've done of Gross this year I always liked him. I wish him well in the back in the AL.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I don't understand how "he just needs consistent playing time" is a valid argument for Gross's production. The fact is, he was never going to get consistent playing time with the Brewers, so what mattered was how he performed in the role we had available - backup OF and PH. From what I've seen of his stats, he doesn't do well in that role. It will be better for him to go somewhere where he has a chance to start everyday.

Peace out Gabe. Enjoy the warm weather.

I guess we had enough solid LH sticks on the team already? It's hopefully not going to be a big deal anyway but I don't see how anyone thinks this makes the team better this year. And if Hart or Braun miss any significant playing time, it's going to be comical to see the kind of offensive production we'll be getting out of one of the corner outfield spots.

Josh Butler is a good prospect. The issue of talent for talent is good.

That said, the Brewers are short a lefthanded bat now. A lefthanded bat that can take a walk, on a team with an awful OBP, and provide a little bit of power as they now have zero power on the bench from the left side. There are going to be times this year when the Brewers are going to have to send Counsell to the plate against a righty when they really need a HR late in the game, and there's going to be a lot of squawking about it when it happens.

I'm willing to place a friendly wager that at the end of the year, Gabe Gross has a significantly higher OPS than Tony Gwynn.

If the plan is to go with Kapler and Gwynn as the backup outfielders, Melvin needs another plan.

Robert

That said, the Brewers are short a lefthanded bat now. A lefthanded bat that can take a walk, on a team with an awful OBP, and provide a little bit of power as they now have zero power on the bench from the left side.

I know one in Nashville.

Yeah. I'm calling for it already. It's time.

Actually I do think if there is a serious injury we may see the Muscle fill in, which is why I think Melvin isn't too worried about an injury situation.. But there is a definite lack of power among Gwynn, Counsell, Kapler, and Dillon. And absolutely no left handed power.

I think they got so many hitters like (or at least projected to be like) Gross already, I think I would have rather traded Gross than Gwynn at this point. Gwynn seems like a better backup outfielder/pinch hitter than Gross anyway, who I think is best served with a consistent spot in the lineup (if that makes sense). We have few hitters like Gwynn and Counsell (although I think Gwynn's a little better at this point in his career), who can come off the bench and slap a single or drop a bunt for a single and then steal a base once they get on. I think we've got plenty of big boppers in the lineup that we won't have many situations where we need a home run. The only guy in the lineup who has below average power is obviously the pitcher and Kendall so I think we'll be fine in that category.

That said, the Brewers are short a lefthanded bat now. A lefthanded bat that can take a walk, on a team with an awful OBP, and provide a little bit of power as they now have zero power on the bench from the left side.

I know one in Nashville.

Yeah. I'm calling for it already. It's time.

at first I thought you were talking about Brad Nelson and I rushed off to see how he was doing this year (quite well so far, actually). Then I realized you meant Russ and I couldn't agree more. I hope he sticks around in Nashville till September, I'm sure they'll at least give him a call then, if not before that.

Archived