Brewer Fanatic

OF Gabe Gross traded to Tampa Bay for minor league pitcher Josh Butler

sargennm
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course he gets traded when he finally starts heating up. One down, one to turnbow.

It's April 22nd, and we're using "finally" already? Jeez.

Never understood the dislike that people have had for Gross. The guy's a good player, especially when he gets consistent PT. It's no coincidence that once he got to settle in for a while he started to hit.

Oh, that little thing.

No, I meant Butler.

I'm not too thrilled about Butler but it:

1. Clears a spot on the 40 man

2. Clears a spot on the 25 man

3. Potentially acquires another arm for a few years down the road, in the pen most likely.

If I counted correctly, Gross was 6 for his last 15 AB's (.400) and 13 for his last 22 PA's (.591).

Personally, I liked the guy. I always felt that if he got the chance to hit a regular basis, he could be pretty solid.

Gross is gone, and he's taking about half of the team's walks with him. But it will be great to have TGJ and the wet newspaper he swings back! Also, it is very likely that Gabe Kapler will continue to hit like he has been, and we really aren't at all short on left-handed bats.

This is rather silly. When Cameron returns, we are talking about the last guy on the bench...a rare start, occasional PH appearance, defensive replacement, pinch runner...If you are suggesting that Gabe Gross and his sub-.200 average, and .311 OBP as a pinch hitter the last 3 years brings more to that roll than Gwynn would, I'd love to hear why.

Never understood the dislike that people have had for Gross.
Funny, because I feel the same way, but in reverse. I never understood what people saw in him to make them think he was good - perhaps other than the fact that he is not named Tony Gwynn Jr.

Then again, I was always extremely confused by the great many BF.net folks who thought Russel Branyan was a good player. He wasn't. It was nice to have Gabe Gross step in and fill that roll for a couple years though. Who's next?

Gabe always excelled when given consistent starts. I think he would've been a solid starter for the Brewers circa 2002 and probably will end up hittin .275 in Tampa. But this team really needs someone who fills a need and the need is a spot starter who can pinch hit, run the bases and play decent defense. Gross doesn't have the attitude for that role and Gwynn will for a year or two. I really think TGJ will be traded at the end of the year for someone in love with his potential as a starter. But with LaPorta, Hart and Braun, we really won't have a spot for him.

We sold low on Gross, but thats better than not selling at all.

Does anyone have the link to that chart showing the Richie Sexson haul?

Formerly Andersoc420

Of course he gets traded when he finally starts heating up. One down, one to turnbow.

It's April 22nd, and we're using "finally" already? Jeez.

Never understood the dislike that people have had for Gross. The guy's a good player, especially when he gets consistent PT. It's no coincidence that once he got to settle in for a while he started to hit.

I'd have been happy with Gabe in left field replacing Jenkins. Keep Braun at third and Hall in center.

Dunno why he never got a chance to be a starter.

Butler had a 2.59 GO/FO ratio last season and has a 2.23 ratio so far this season. Sounds like he does a good job getting ground balls, though it would be nice if he struck out a few more guys. BA says that he throws 92-95 with hard sink in their write-up of him and have him as #16 in the Rays system. Getting any pitching prospect with promise for Gabe Gross is a good trade in my book.

We sold low on Gross, but thats better than not selling at all.

This is a good point, as he really served no purpose on this team, now or in the future. Now the question becomes, will Turnbow be a Brewer a week from today?

Gross is gone, and he's taking about half of the team's walks with him.

Do the Brewers really only have 20 walks as a team? Weird.

That was an exaggeration, obviously. Actually though, the Brewers only have 51 walks as a team, and Gross has 10. That's nearly 20% of the team's walk total, and Gross only has 43 AB's.

This is rather silly. When Cameron returns, we are talking about the last guy on the bench...a rare start, occasional PH appearance, defensive replacement, pinch runner...If you are suggesting that Gabe Gross and his sub-.200 average, and .311 OBP as a pinch hitter the last 3 years brings more to that roll than Gwynn would, I'd love to hear why.
In the event that somebody gets hurt, I'd much rather have Gross in a fulltime outfield spot over Kapler or Gwynn. Also, I think you're putting too much stock in pinch-hitting stats, and not enough stock in how badly this offense needs guys who can take pitches and draw walks.

I liked gabe alot. However he was probably not going to get much playing time once TGJ and Cameron comes back. We got what could be a future BP guy for him, and it gives him a chance to play more than he would have here. Best of luck to ya Gabe, you were always a good guy.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I'll admit I never liked Gross much, but I wish him the best of luck in Tampa. It was nice that he could go out with a bang in Milwaukee. Melvin getting a recent second round pick for him ain't too shabby.

This place won't be the same without the monthly Gwynn/Gross debate.

I agree. It's one of the things he mentioned a few times in Nashville and I've brought this up before. Being a pinch hitter doesn't really fit his skills at this point since I think he's still developing a bit and consistent playing time goes a long ways in terms of his production.

In the event that somebody gets hurt, I'd much rather have Gross in a fulltime outfield spot over Kapler or Gwynn. Also, I think you're putting too much stock in pinch-hitting stats, and not enough stock in how badly this offense needs guys who can take pitches and draw walks.

Too much stock in pinch-hitting stats? That's all he'd do the rest of the year once Cameron comes back.

Archived