Brewer Fanatic

Who will be the first guy promoted?

DrWood
aguillar and Brantley are finding little opposition in their leagues. Aguillar has been closing at Brevard, while Huntsville uses a closer-by-committee (with good results); I could see him getting promoted. There is no room in Nashville for Brantley or LaPorta, but there could be if one of the major league veterans moves off.

Taylor Green could get moved if dominoes fall and gamel gets promoted (again, at the loss of a veteran in Nashville).

If Aguilar gets bumped up, does Wes Etheridge also? He's already 23 in A-ball, and he has a 14/1 K/BB in 11.7 innings after today's game.

aguillar and Brantley are finding little opposition in their leagues. Aguillar has been closing at Brevard, while Huntsville uses a closer-by-committee (with good results); I could see him getting promoted. There is no room in Nashville for Brantley or LaPorta, but there could be if one of the major league veterans moves off.

Taylor Green could get moved if dominoes fall and gamel gets promoted (again, at the loss of a veteran in Nashville).

If Aguilar gets bumped up, does Wes Etheridge also? He's already 23 in A-ball, and he has a 14/1 K/BB in 11.7 innings after today's game.

first of all, I'm not advocating anyone gets moved up today. second, does etheridge have the stuff to be a real prospect? I don't know.

first of all, I'm not advocating anyone gets moved up today. second, does etheridge have the stuff to be a real prospect? I don't know.

I don't know, but he's old for his level and is getting solid results, so I would think the Brewers would want to push him.

Gamel. I don't think anyone predicted his defense at third would be what it is right now. I admit, it's not that great, but I think he went from April 12th to just the other day without an error.

His offense has been nothing short of spectacular. I am truely hoping he gets a cup of coffee in the bigs in September and shines.

His lefty stick sure would be nice, though. Platoon with BH.

I'm pretty sure the Brewers wouldn't platoon him. If Gamel establishes himself as a ML-quality third baseman, Hall will either be traded or moved.

I dont see Gamel playing with the Brewers... I see him getting traded.. Hes WORSE than Braun was at 3rd. Billys here 3 more years... Laporta, Braun, and Hart are locks in the OF.. Where does Gamel fit? Nowhere. 8 errors in 25 games is horrendous, play 150 games in the MLB thats about 48 errors.

We can't judge Gamel's defense just on error rate. On error rate alone Braun was merely not good. It was all the plays he never got close to making that mad him tremendously awful. Other things to think about are that before the 3 error game his pace for the season was more like 20 or so. I'm not optimistic his defense can get where it needs to be to play third, but he's already made a big jump so far this year, so let's just see where it goes, because if he can make it the line-up could border on historically special.

Longterm the Brewers cannot afford Prince Fielder, which makes Laporta the first baseman, which makes Gamel the RF if his defense doesn't improve. There's no reason to be so overwhelming negative about a kid in AA... If the bat is that good, they'll find you a position. Hall is not a great hitter, Gamel very well might be, if Gamel sticks at 3rd then I'm sorry but Hall will be the one to go. Why would you trade the player with more potential? I don't think Gamel will stick at 3rd, but I could definately see him playing the corner outfield spots and 1B when guys get days off until his time comes.

I haven't written off his defense yet, he's still got plenty of time, but my gut tells me that both Laporta and Gamel will be able to hit major league pitching and the bats will play before the gloves. This is the way things work, prospects thrive in one area, and have defiencies in another. Hart, Fielder, Weeks had defensive concerns, Hardy had offensive concerns... Escobar has offensive concerns, Iribarren doesn't have a home defensively, Gamel, Laporta, and Salome have defensive concerns and so on. Every single player has a hole in their game... when they don't you get a Bonds/Griffey or similar player in their prime, and they just don't come along that often. A true 5 tool player that excels in every aspect of the game... that's hall of fame type stuff, and if that's expectation, the expectation needs to be changed, because it's not realistic.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I dont think anyone expects HOF play out out of him, but the point is that there 'currently' is no spot for him to land..now if he becomes a decent fielder at third, he will instantly find a spot. In the outfield, if you think Hart is a capable CF, then you can move him there and then he'd just have to beat out LaPorta. Still have a couple more years of Fielder, and there is an outside chance he re-signs (I highly doubt it). But I'm not really sold on Hart in CF.

As for third, the Brewers will take their time developing that position. They arent in the situation of having to rush up the hitters like they did with Prince and Weeks. Hall's defense provides stability out there and he leads the team in HRs. Overall, he's solid and won't be replaced unless someone clearly is better, and that includes fielding. The first chance Gamel is likely going to have is 2010, when Hall and Prince are in contract years and looking to get dealt.

Now if Gamel's defense improves this year considerably and a decent pitching prospect or two is dangled, then it will get interesting, but its not where its headed right now.

He's 2 years away, why does there have to be a spot for him to be an everyday player today? If his bat ends up being "that" good, then someone is going to get moved for him, just like OOOOOO for Prince, the Brewers are very thin when it comes to LH power. Again, down the road I see Laporta at 1B and Gamel in a corner outfield spot. Defensively 3B is still the biggest hole in the system, though Green might plug that gap, one never knows this early.

It's one thing to point out a flaw in someone's game, it's another to be overwhelming negative about kid. Could the Brewers trade him? Sure. Does it make any long term sense to trade him with the lack of LH power in the organization? Absolutely not. If he doesn't stick at 3rd, he definately has the tools to play either corner outfield spot, just like Braun. Laporta is the player more likely to be traded in my mind, as his skills are what the Brewers have the most of, RH power. If either player goes then we better be getting Lincecum or someone similar, another Linebrink type deal might push me over the edge.

Yes Hall is very servicable as a 3B, but he's not special, his average to above average, and that really has nothing to do with Gamel. If your bat is that good, you will play... someplace. It's really that simple. The Brewers will never be in a position where they can afford to sustain the big league club through free agency, which means coaching up players like Gamel and finding them a home someplace. You do the best you can filling your needs from inside the organization. If the Brewers are giving up youth, they need to get youth in return, unless that one player makes the difference in a World Series run. To maintain success the Brewers need a yearly influx of cheap young talent, that's the only way they will be able to sustain success.

People are so starved for a winner (even though we just had a winning season) that even though the team is finally winning people are complaining and whining about every little thing. Gimme bf.net in 2004 when there was actually some optomism around here. Continually trading away prospects does not make good long term business sense. I get the feeling many people would be satisfied with one World Series run and then 20 more years of suckitude. I'd rather win year in and year out and the World Series thing will take care of itself, there is no way to ensure any team will make it to the series... I don't see how the Brewers can ever be in "win now" mode, they'll always have to keep an eye on the future. Unless of course the economics of baseball change, then things have the potential to change drastically.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Longterm the Brewers cannot afford Prince Fielder, which makes Laporta the first baseman, which makes Gamel the RF if his defense doesn't improve.

That runs in direct contrast to what Mark A has said, and the Brewers current bottom line. In fact, Mark A has almost guaranteed that the Brewers sign him. I think it's be wise to not re-sign him, but I think the fact is that they will.

This is the way things work, prospects thrive in one area, and have defiencies in another.

That's the way it works with some prospects. Certainly not all.

Every single player has a hole in their game... when they don't you get a Bonds/Griffey or similar player in their prime, and they just don't come along that often. A true 5 tool player that excels in every aspect of the game... that's hall of fame type stuff, and if that's expectation, the expectation needs to be changed, because it's not realistic.

Wait, so you're honestly suggesting that a player who doesn't have a huge hole in his game with either the glove or the bat must be a HOF type prospect?

Corey Hart? How about Troy Tulowitzki? Jocoby Ellsbury? The list goes on and on. How about dozens of prospects every year that are solid both offensively and defensively? This suggestion that every player comes up with a huge hole in their game simply isn't true, and using Bonds and Griffey as an example of players that didn't have holes? No, those were players who were great in every aspect of the game, not just players who didn't have a hole in a particular area.

Since when was Corey Hart a prospect without holes in his game? When did magically become a can't miss prospect? He rotted in AAA much longer than he should have, there were quite a few people that didn't know what to make of him. He played 4 different positions in the organization by the time he hit Milwaukee, much like Iribarren is going to do.

If you don't think Tulo is going to end up being in the top 5-10% of MLB baseball players at his position when all is said and done, I question your player evaluation skills, and you're making my point for me. Very few prospects are such well rounded players that they don't have a fairly obvious hole in one part of their game. Again, look at all the position players that recently came up through Milwaukee's system, every single one had a hole in their game on offense or defense. Look around the minor leagues at the top prospects in other organizations, how many don't have a major flaw to work on?

The Brewers must suck at drafting if polished 4-5 tool prospects are everywhere...

It wouldn't be difficult to go through all of the position players on the power 50 and knock one thing or another for all of them. Plate discipline, Defense, Power, BA, and so on. Players who are that polished don't spend much time in minors, and in the last 20 years it's very short list of players who flew through the minors in 2 seasons or less... and all of them that managed to remain healthy are Stars on their respective teams.

I don't have the time for this right now but I'm going to do this quickly...

Hart - Defense

Fielder - Defense

Weeks - Defense

Braun - Defense

Hardy - Offense

Escobar - Offense

Gamel - Defense

Iribarren - A little O and D

Salome - Defense, Height is a major concern for some

Laporta - Defense

TGJ - Offense

Brantley - No set position on D, no Power, High Walk Rate

Cain - at one point didn't look to have many holes, where has the O gone

Brewer - SOs and D

Katin - Offense

Gillespie - Offense

There is a rather large gap between being fairly solid all around, and being MLB polished all the way around... most of those guys had things to work on, no matter how minor the issues may seem to you. The Pujols' of the world just don't come around all that often, and even he had some questions defensively when he first came up.

Was HOF stretching it some? Sure, I was trying to make a point, multiple type All-Star appearances is probably a more accurate.

- Plato

- Plato

I was referring to trading Prince/Hall in 2010.. I guess we're pretty much on the same page in that his first crack wont come for a couple of years and we'll see where his glove is then. Hopefully its at 3B...

Since when was Corey Hart a prospect without holes in his game?

Since he was moved to the OF?

When did magically become a can't miss prospect?

I don't think anything "magically" happens, but hell, it makes your post funny.

He rotted in AAA much longer than he should have, there were quite a few people that didn't know what to make of him.

He "rotted" in AAA because we had other OF'ers up. And I don't know who those people were you're talking about, but the Brewers made him an OF'er to stay by the time he reached AAA.

If you don't think Tulo is going to end up being in the top 5-10% of MLB baseball players at his position when all is said and done, I question your player evaluation skills

Well, I never said that I was a big league scout, nor acted like it. However, if you're calling any player who doesn't have a major hole in his game either offensively, or defensively a player on the level of Bonds or Griffey, I'd have to question YOUR "player evaluation skills". You seem to have this idea that every player is a liability in one phase of the game because that's the trend the Brewers have set. Believe it or not, plenty of players come up without huge holes.

The Brewers must suck at drafting if polished 4-5 tool prospects are everywhere...

Would you like to write my posts for me? I mean, I'm pretty sure I never said that there were 4-5 tool prospets everyone, but again, if it makes your post funnier, the hell with reality, right? Being a 5 tool prospect is significantly different from being a liability with the stick or defensively.

It wouldn't be difficult to go through all of the position players on the power 50 and knock one thing or another for all of them.

Of course not. Hell, you could do that for pretty much everyone in the HOF. It doesn't mean they have these huges holes you're suggesting that make Mat Gamel the norm rather than the exception.

I don't have the time for this right now but I'm going to do this quickly...

I don't see how making arguments that aren't being contended serves to make your point at all. I'd also argue that Hardy didn't have a big question offensively as he was a nice offensive Shortstop in the minors, but that's not really the point.

The point is, because the Brewers tend to draft players and develop players who are all stick and no glove by the time they get near or to the big leagues, certainly doesn't mean any player who isn't a liability with one or the other is a "Griffey or Bonds" type player. I notice I used several other examples that got glossed over. How about Pedroia? Cano, Reynolds, Pence...I mean, that list could go on and on.

Now if you're talking about players who step into the big league clubhouse on day one and are GG'er and .300 hitters, then say that, but to suggest that every player has this huge question mark next to either their offense or defense save for the HOF type prospects simply isn't true. And if we're going to get down to players who have small question marks with their arm, or that they strike out too much, that's going to hold true for literally every single player in the game. The point that was made pretty clearly was a player either struggles with the bat or the glove and if they don't, they're a superstar. That's just simply not true.

Archived