Brewer Fanatic

3rd in RPI, 4th in SOS, Don't worry.

DrWood
Great stuff, though I'm guessing anyone who was outraged was mainly directing their anger towards the performance of the offense rather than the W-L record. My disappointment was almost exclusively about Yo going down, but that's just me.

I think our Pythagorean Record is lower than our current record too so we even have gotten a little lucky to be .500 right now.

Take out the 19-5 beat down from th Cubs and I would think our Pythogerean record would look a little better.

O, I think the Brewers are lucky to be .500 right now, considering the individual performances. If they continue to play as they have over the first 38 games, it won't matter what any other team does. I also appreciate that Gallardo going down made it pretty easy to be pessimistic about the future.

My point was simply that, based off of what we knew about this team in March and what we knew about their early season schedule, no one should be surprised that the Brewers are at .500 right now. They are about 1 game behind their preseason expectations. If you want to be surprised about the current standings, it should be because:

1. The Cubs are on pace for 98 wins

2. The Cardonals are on pace for 93 wins

3. The Astros are on pace for 91 wins

Lucky for the Brewers, "on pace" is generally a pretty worthless way of looking at things when you are trying to project the future.

The Brewers had a lot of road games early, against good competition.

Almost no one met expectations offensively.

Gagne failed as the closer.

Turnbow just plain failed.

The back end of the rotation has been a complete mess.

Sheets missed a start.

Gallardo was done after three starts.

Not only are the Brewers lucky to be at .500, they're lucky they aren't where the Padres are.

There was an article on beyondtheboxscore.com about schedule strength for the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/5/21/524267/an-examination-of-early-se

It was written on Tuesday, before the Cubs started their series with the Astros, but at that time they had played just 15 games against teams with a better than .500 record.

Well, I'm kind of disappointed that a supposedly sabermetric website would write an article like that. Treating a team that was projected to win 70 games before the season started but is 1 game over as a polar opposite of a team that was projected to win 90 games but is 1 game under is just plain wrong. A team that has gone 20-21 is no different than one that went 21-20, if we know nothing else about them.

My approach is the more correct one (IMO, obviously) and while it showed the Brewers had faced above average talent, it wasn't dramatic. If I get a chance I will try to update my SOS for the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals. If anyone cares. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

My approach is the more correct one (IMO, obviously) and while it showed the Brewers had faced above average talent, it wasn't dramatic. If I get a chance I will try to update my SOS for the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals. If anyone cares.

Not if it makes us lose hope http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived