Brewer Fanatic

4/22/08 Cardinals (Lohse) at Brewers (Yost): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

I understand the reasoning in a way, but I think it was quite obvious that Manny was gassed

A start has to find a way to go five innings. If we constantly have to take the start out before that, it's going to be a long year. We also don't have a day off for nearly a week. Keeping Manny in was the right thing.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the reasoning in a way, but I think it was quite obvious that Manny was gassed

A start has to find a way to go five innings. If we constantly have to take the start out before that, it's going to be a long year. We also don't have a day off for nearly a week. Keeping Manny in was the right thing.

I agree that you would hope the starter can go at least 5, but lets be honest, it just doesn't always work out that way. I would hope Neds main concern is winning the game - not managing to get Manny the win or to get him through the "mandatory" 5 innings when he was clearly tired. Does one extra out from the bullpen make or break it as a bullpen saving start?

I guess I look at it as we need pitchers to work out of a jam once in awhile. The answer can't be switching a pitcher everytime we have a problem brewing. Especially when it is so early in the game.

Once again - I agree about pitchers needing to bare down and work through a jam, but to me the decding factor here was that its a one run game that we really need and we are talking about one out gained when everyone could see that Manny was tired

I agree that you would hope the starter can go at least 5, but lets be honest, it just doesn't always work out that way. I would hope Neds main concern is winning the game - not managing to get Manny the win or to get him through the "mandatory" 5 innings when he was clearly tired. Does one extra out from the bullpen make or break it as a bullpen saving start?

Ned's main concern should be winning over the long haul, not the individual game. We all want to treat each game like Game 7 of the World Series. A game in late April should be managed a whole lot different than a game in late September/October. Also, that extra 1/3 of an inning can add up. If each starter goes an extra 1/3 of an inning that would save the bullpen 54 innings on the year, which can be a significant amount.

Ned's main concern should be winning over the long haul, not the individual game. We all want to treat each game like Game 7 of the World Series. A game in late April should be managed a whole lot different than a game in late September/October. Also, that extra 1/3 of an inning can add up. If each starter goes an extra 1/3 of an inning that would save the bullpen 54 innings on the year, which can be a significant amount.

Maybe if Ned managed a few games in April/May like you say he should in September we would've won those games and the division. Honestly, I don't know how many times I have to say this but a win in April counts exactly the same as a win in September.

Fair enough. I would also hope that he is concerned with the health of a tired young lefty. To be honest, I just really enjoy discussing differing views in baseball strartegy. Under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you if Manny hadn't appeared to have nothing left in the tank

Maybe if Ned managed a few games in April/May like you say he should in September we would've won those games and the division. Honestly, I don't know how many times I have to say this but a win in April counts exactly the same as a win in September.

Good luck winning games with no Riske, Torres, Mota, or Gagne in the pen in September. They would all be worn out by July. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck winning games with no Riske, Torres, Mota, or Gagne in the pen in September. They would all be worn out by July. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Right, I forgot. Ned seems really concerned about wearing out pitchers when he was warming up Gagne last night.

So we would have no Riske, Torres, Mota, or Gagne in sept because we needed to get ONE pivotal out for a tired young lefty that doesn't have his stamina or command up to par yet in April. That is ridiculous! Have you ever looked at how many appearances Torres and Mota make in a year?

Archived