Brewer Fanatic

4/22/08 Cardinals (Lohse) at Brewers (Yost): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Wow other than that play I think Fielder has looked a ton better defensively this year.

Really? To me he's lost what little range he did have and he still isn't good at picking bad throws.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting factoid: Brewer batters are not patient.

Through 9 innings, the Brewers pitchers have thrown 197 pitches; the Cardinals pitchers 151.

This is going to be a problem all season unless the Brewers are more selective at the plate.

Gotta make it until next Monday for an off day, and been wearing out the bullpen lately. Combine the shortage with bench players, is it possible to pull Cirillo out of the sideline booth and suit him up for some extra inning pinch hitting & mound action? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I like the call to put up Soup and leave Hardy on the bench. It's looking like extra innings, we have few position players available and another pinch batting situation possible later in the game when bunting isn't practical. If we use Hardy and the order comes around again in extras, we'd be questioning why we didn't use a pitcher to bunt and leave Hardy to pinch later.

That throw wasn't even close though. Yeah other 1B dig it out but thats because they are a good 6" taller than Fielder

I dont follow?

edit - longer reach - got ya.

I think if any first baseman picks that throw it is on nothing but pure luck

I put much more blame on Weeks for that play, but yeah A LOT of 1B pick that ball and its game over. But it was one of the worst throws I have ever seen he had tons of time.

Oh I completely agree with that. Weeks made a horrible throw and he had plenty of time to make that throw but that wasn't some throw that Fielder had no chance of getting.

having played 1st base for 20 years i can tell you that the shorter hops are easier to pick the farther ones due to the time in the air off the bounce there is more chance for the spin on the ball to effect the flight. I know it doesnt seem like it would be harder but it is. Also when you are catching a ball, especially a DP you start your stretch getting ready to receive and the bounce throws off the rhythm making it awkward to catch.

This team has played sloppy all year. Today is more of the same.

Some spotty defense

Poor situational hitting (man on 1st no outs, pop up bunt followed by swinging strike out)

Bullpen collapse (granted that has not happened much this year, but today it did)

Now some of this reflects on the manager, but some of it also reflects on the players.

I would say it reflects much more on the players.

This team has played sloppy all year. Today is more of the same.

Some spotty defense

Poor situational hitting (man on 1st no outs, pop up bunt followed by swinging strike out)

Bullpen collapse (granted that has not happened much this year, but today it did)

Now some of this reflects on the manager, but some of it also reflects on the players.

I would say it reflects much more on the players.

I would also, but I am starting to wonder if this team is developing into a winner or just treading water. We do the same stupid stuff as last year, and the year before. Is that a player thing or a manager thing? I guess it is both really.

Just to point it out, even with a 14-man pitching staff, the only remaining relievers available at this point are Turnbow and McClung.

(Here's hoping Mota can throw a few innings....or that the Brewers can push across some runs.)

I would also, but I am starting to wonder if this team is developing into a winner or just treading water. We do the same stupid stuff as last year, and the year before.

These guys are still young and trying to learn how to be consistent ball players.

That's what I keep telling myself at least.

Archived