Brewer Fanatic

New roof needed for the pad.

zingsheim

Hi gang, I need a new roof for the house, and was wondering if anyone had advice. I have a small ranch (900 sq. feet first level, almost a square house) that should be pretty easy to do. I have one of the big name companies coming over to look at it, but may want to go with a small company or even maybe someone on a side job. Anybody have advice. This is my first house, and although I do alot of repairs myself, I just feel like getting this out of the way. Thanks alot!!

Aaron

We replaced ours last summer, and the bid process was pretty brutal. The only tips that I have are to:

1.Avoid the Home Depot type stores for contractors, huge markup involved.

2. Make sure when you go with a smaller team, that they have the proper insurance for their workers.

3. Make sure they have cleanup and takeaway in the bid, surprising how many don't.

4. The price is going to be similar for most, go with the guy that seemed most upfront.

5. Not sure if this one matters to you, but the guys we went with had a professionalism policy. They ensured us no swearing or obnoxious music while they worked. Wish the neighbor would have gone with this option, their roofers seemed like they were on a prison release project.

Good luck, the roof shouldn't set you back that much with a smaller house, we had to do roofing and siding at the same time, I'll never be able to move.

I had to put a new roof on a few years ago when I was selling my house. I went with Emery Roofing in New Berlin (I think it was New Berlin). They gave me a variety of options and prices and did a great job. Clean up was great. Overall a great experience.

I'd maybe look into someone doing a sidejob. I worked for Schranz Roofing on and off for 5 years and we did mostly commercial roofing but a lot of the guys there do sidejobs and do them pretty well. Where do you live, I could get you my buddy's number who still works there and does sidejobs if you are looking to go that route. He usually likes the extra cash that a sidejob brings in so he might be interested.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

With any contractors and bidding, ask for homes with addresses and phone numbers of their previous customers and check out their work. Any good contractor will be happy to give you this information because good work and word of mouth is really important.

I am a couple of weeks ahead of you in the process. Don't have a new roof yet, but we're going with Weathertight out of West Allis. They seem very reputable, and have a great warranty package that almost sounds too good to be true. They are much more expensive than anyone else, but no one else will come fix the roof for free if it leaks, either. Prior to going with these people, I was considering going to steel. I have a friend in the remodeling business that used to also do roofing, but he and his dad got out of it because they could no longer back the product. He re roofed his own home 8-10 years ago and used 35 year dimensional. After 4 years he was patching every spring, and this year he is going with steel. I would have gone that way, because steel is usually 2-3 times more than shingles, but I would have had to have done the work myself, and I didn't really want to, or know how to.

I'm guessing a 900 square foot home is not going to be your home for the rest of your life so I wouldn't be all that concerned with a warranty or the roof leaking. Even the cheapest shingles last a good 20 years. I would find the cheapest bid available and take it. The best way to roof a house is to get about 3 friends and knock it out in a day and a half for less than a grand. But if that's not possible than find a contractor or a someone for a side job. Do not overspend on your roof because speding $1000 vs spending $5000 will do nothing different for the resale value of your house. Roofs don't sell houses, kitchens do http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived