Brewer Fanatic

2B of the Future

zzzmanwitz

According to today's JSonline chat, the 2B of the future should definately not be Weeks. The 2B of the present should be Brian Roberts (via a straight of Weeks, straight up):

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=741723

What I don't get it that Weeks and Roberts had basically identical seasons last year and Roberts is WAY more expensive with less upside. I doubt Tom has any idea what Roberts' contract situation is, anyway. I doubt more than 3 seconds is used to answer any of those questions. It's just terrible.

Q: Mark of Kimberly - Is Gabe Gross the worst major leaguer you have ever seen?

A: Brewers Mailbag - Perhaps you have forgotten Enrique Cruz. Or Chris Barnwell. Or... Let's just say this: no.

Why even bother answering garbage like that?

My argument for Hardy over Weeks is that Hardy seems to fit the role of a middle infielder more than Weeks does, he is servicable at the plate and plays excellent defense. If we are going to build this team around Hart, Braun, Prince, Laporta?, we need players that can play the field, we will have plenty of mash in the lineup.

We aren't even 20 games into the season. I think we'll have a better grasp at the level of player Weeks is at the end of the season, or at LEAST halfway into the year. The sample size is simply too small to judge in my opinion. The last 2 or 3 games I think he's struck out looking at ball 4 at least 3 times, and has been stinging the ball right at guys all year, but people take a peak at his BA and K's and just assume that he's going to be hitting like this all year. I'm one who thinks this is entirely off base. I still think his season will end around a .260/.380/.450 line, which would be a great year offensively, and thats not including his stolen bases. As far as our future, I think Hardy or Hall will be the most likely to be traded once Escobar is ready, with whoever doesn't get moved playing 3B. I tend to believe that Prince, Yovani and Hardy will be the ones that are absolutely gone, and Hart, Weeks, and Braun as the ones that we may be able to keep past arbitration.

Hall too is under control until 2011, Hardy 2010. And given Hall is the better hitter and Hardy would be foolish to move off SS, I just really see little reason to expect Hardy as a Brewer past 2009 assuming Escobar progresses. Worrying about Yovani is like worrying about Braun, way too far out to really care.

I'm not looking at just this season. He has been a Brewer for 3+ years and we are getting a decent idea of what he is turning into. I know he's been injured, but that has to be taken into account. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to resign him, in fact I would love to have him for 5+ more years. I'm just curious to know what approach we should take with him and if there are others who feel like maybe his time with this team is running short. What would it take to keep him as a Brewer? How much would you offer Weeks to buy out a few years of his FA? How do other teams view his value? What would they give for him? This is where I see this thread going. I'm hoping to avoid the "we need to wait through this season" answer. How about what you would do if he is successful, or if he is average, or if he gets hurt?

The last 2 or 3 games I think he's struck out looking at ball 4 at least 3 times, and has been stinging the ball right at guys all year, but people take a peak at his BA and K's and just assume that he's going to be hitting like this all year.

Well-said... living up to your screenname!

I'm hoping to avoid the "we need to wait through this season" answer. How about what you would do if he is successful, or if he is average, or if he gets hurt?

If Weeks puts up a line similar to what DJr. postualted, I personally would offer him a 4-yr. deal for $35-40 mil., w/club option for 5th yr. @ $15 mil.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I thought Weeks was the team MVP of August/September last year. No way am I giving up on that guy after 3 weeks. It all comes down to plate discipline and OBP. When he took walks last year, he started seeing better piches and started hitting. I've noticed him striking out a few times on borderline strike threes too (great point Darnell & TLB) and had no problem with those at bats. I'm taking the over on the .375 OBP line...there will be plenty of runs scored off that number.

How about some props for his glove too...he's looked much better out there.

Yeah, he's having bad luck on ball/strike calls right now. I'm just not going to get that worried when the guy is still having good AB's and running deep counts. The guy to be concerned about is Braun and his tee-ball like approach at the plate.

I've noticed him striking out a few times on borderline strike threes too (great point Darnell & TLB)

There we go... fixed to reflect accuracy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Couldn't Escobar move to 2B? Keeping Hardy at SS.

How about Escobar at SS and Hardy on any other team. Seems we've had several threads moaning about Weeks and Bill Hall's performance, yet JJs crapitude goes unnoticed.

How about Escobar at SS and Hardy on any other team. Seems we've had several threads moaning about Weeks and Bill Hall's performance, yet JJs crapitude goes unnoticed.

Not only is Hardy a limited offensive player, but Ned loves to maximize his mediocrity by batting him 2nd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Why even bother answering garbage like that?

Because Haudricourt has a very limited understanding of the sport he covers.

I don't really think that's fair. I don't understand why anyone pays attention to chats. I don't think I've learned anything interesting in a chat. They are intended to be quick answers, not logical arguments.

Weeks will be the 2B now and for a long time. Like someone said last week, the Indians gave up on Brandon Phillips at a similar stage of his career. I bet they wish they could have a mulligan on that one.

I may end up being very wrong on this as I was and still am totally convinced that this year would be his breakout year, but I still have complete faith in Rickie Weeks.

I do love how he gets on base, even when he's struggling at a respectable rate, however I think one thing that's really stifling him is the fact that he looks at so many first pitch fastballs right down the middle. We don't have anyone coming up in the near future that can be a leadoff hitter for this team, and as such, he's going to be the guy for a while, but I think moving him down, maybe into the 6th spot right now where he can be more aggressive would be the best thing for him.

More than anything, I think he's just pressing right now and that he'll be fine. I'm sure not ready to give up on Hardy, Braun or Prince, and while they all have better track records of success than Weeks(well, maybe not Hardy) the point is the same. It's early. If you thought he was and should be the guy going into this year, then nothing should have changed from then until now.

If, and right now I still am looking for a break out year, if Weeks continues to be statistically extreme and uneven I believe he will be one of the young guys that Milwaukee will part with rather than signing him to something long term. I get the sneaking suspicion that the organization has made a decision to use Braun and Fielder as anchors and everyone else is complimentary. 2B is not terribly hard to replace, trade for, or develop. And if Weeks doesn't really prove himself to be an Utley Mini-Me, then he'll move on as soon as it cost the Crew big bucks.

I really think Weeks takes the leadoff role very seriously, particularly seeing a lot of pitches. He'd probably be more effective if he was more agressive, a la Braun.

i agree with this - i wonder how much of Rickies struggles are him trying to be a "leadoff hitter" instead of just a hitter. i have a feeling that he is too concerned with taking pitches, working the count, and trying to just get on base. in other words he is thinking too much. I would love to see him in the 6 or 7 hole in the lineup with the instructions to "don't think - just hit".

Archived