Brewer Fanatic

2B of the Future

zzzmanwitz
There was a discussion on 1250 this morning about what to do with Weeks. I know I know, he has a been a productive leadoff hitter with his ability to get on base. He's made what seem to be improvements in his defensive game. I'm really pulling for him to be a Brewer for many years to come. However, he is not the player we were expecting when we drafted him. We saw this guy being a 4/5 tool (depending on your view of his defense) player. Right now, he's got about 1.5 tools at his disposal, speed and the occasional longball. I remember a few years ago saying that Weeks would be best served batting in the 3 spot, but he has been unable to build his average up high enough to warrant him in that position. I'm also very curious to know what type of contract he will receive from the Brewers or otherwise. We all know he has the physical ability to an All-Star and he was drafted extremely high, but how much is someone willing to pay for that? I have heard talks of Weeks to CF, moving JJ to 2B, and Escobar filling in at SS. But do we really believe this will happen? Again, I want Weeks to succeed and be a productive member of this team, but with the surplus of OF talent we have in the minors and the coming of Escobar, it seems that we may not have room for him on this team in the next few years. Thoughts?

Escobar is no where close to being ready at the major league level to hit.

I'm not saying this year. He is playing for a contract right now, I'm guess I'm trying to see what people see in him as a player over the next 2, 3, or 4 years.

Weeks will be the 2B now and for a long time. Like someone said last week, the Indians gave up on Brandon Phillips at a similar stage of his career. I bet they wish they could have a mulligan on that one.

I remember that post, and I agree with it. Just like I'm not giving up on my boy Gagne, I'm not giving up on Weeks. But if he is not able to find "it" I am curious as to if they would have some combo of Hardy and Escobar up the middle.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I thought Hardy was known for having a strong arm and not much range. Not sure why that projects well to 2B. I think Weeks will be fine and Escobar will eventually take over for Hardy. I suppose there's also the chance that Hardy could move to 3B and Hall could learn another new position.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I would think that the only person who would move Hall off of 3B in the next year or two would be Mat Gamel. We have a glut of outfielders coming through the pipeline in the next couple of years that could make it hard to move Rickie off of second, which I don't consider necessary.

I think that at this point, it's too tough to prediect what our infield will look like in two years depending on who succeeds or fails in the minor leagues, how management wants to deal with the current young players contracts, and how all of them might be used to add pitching depth to the major league and minor league levels.

For the time being, we're set in the infield so I won't worry too much about the future. I'll simply enjoy the show that these young guys are going to put on for us.

I know that Weeks can be a productive player for this team as a leadoff hitter for the next few years, I guess I just see him coming up through his Arby years and think, do we offer this guy a Bill Hall type deal? Not in value, but in buying out some years of his FA. He hasn't been what we thought we were getting and I'm sure he's looking at these reports of offers to Braun and Fielder and he's wondering when he is going to "get his." What kind of a contract is he looking at? Weeks to me is the most difficult player to project, both production-wise and what some team may be willing to trade for him/pay him in FA.

I agree Weeks is worrisome, but I'm not sure we can take his 2008 offensive performance out of the context of the entire team. No one is hitting! I'm nostalgic for those halcyon days of Butch Wynegar. I'm hopeful the main issue has to do with all the road games so far. Hopefully a few games at home will awaken the bats.

even though the Indians gave up on Phillips, I wonder how much of his success has to do with a change of scenery or how they're using him vs how cleveland did. I almost think it might be better to drop him down in the order and just let him do his thing and not worry about leading off and seeing pitches and such. we don't really have a lead off man to replace him, but at this point he's hurting the team.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

He hasn't been what we thought we were getting and I'm sure he's looking at these reports of offers to Braun and Fielder and he's wondering when he is going to "get his."

But 2008 has the chance to be Rickie's first full, healthy season. I think passing judgment in 'what we've got' on a player this young that we haven't really seen play a full season healthy (& he should do so in 2008) is just too hasty. Not everyone can be successful as early as Prince. Hardy is a good comparison, imo, since 2007 was his first full, healthy MLB season. I expect a similar progression/performance/results from Rickie this season (& no, I'm not comparing their stats).

EDIT: In terms of money, didn't Rickie sign an MLB deal out of the draft? He's probably made the most cash to this point of any of the 'young guys'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I guess I don't understand the idea behind this thread: are people concerned that the Brewers won't be able to afford Rickie in a few years (when he's FA eligible), that he'll have to be moved because he doesn't hit well enough to stick at 2b (which, IIRC, is fairly similar in OPS production to center field), or that he'll have to be moved because he can't stick defensively - 2008 small sample notwithstanding?

Weeks will "get his" as soon as he hits his arbitration years, much like nearly every young player in the league. For a guy who is difficult to project, unless he has a monster season that is deserving of a long-term deal....he'll be a year-to-year guy.

unless he has a monster season that is deserving of a long-term deal....he'll be a year-to-year guy.
I think Rickie is pretty low in the pecking order of players the Brewers hope to retain "long-term".

The Brewers will probably always offer him arbitration. But he will hit FA and walk.

When considering his defense...he is a very average 2B. He won't be too hard to replace.

Weeks will be the 2B now and for a long time. Like someone said last week, the Indians gave up on Brandon Phillips at a similar stage of his career. I bet they wish they could have a mulligan on that one.

I remember that post, and I agree with it. Just like I'm not giving up on my boy Gagne, I'm not giving up on Weeks. But if he is not able to find "it" I am curious as to if they would have some combo of Hardy and Escobar up the middle.

This is why I wouldn't want to be a GM. Maybe you stick with him until he blossoms, or . . . maybe you deal him and he blossoms someplace else, or . . .maybe he just never pans out at all.

Weeks is an enigma. In my mind, he's more talented than any guy on the roster but except for a month here and there, he's yet to produce anywhere near the level of his ability. If he ever starts producing relative to his ability, the Brewers run away with it.

Didn't we just have a thread that discussed Weeks future with the team and that discussed whether he was a bust? I could be mistaken.

I don't think this thread is headed that direction. I for one am not calling weeks a "bust", but because he hasn't lived up to his lofty expectations, it makes him very difficult to analyze. We all know he has great ability, its just a matter of how much do you want to keep him around to see where his skill takes him. Do you want him here after his arby years or not? There will be some mixed opinion on this subject.

I don't think we can really make any kind of sound decision on that last question, zman, until after this season. I think Weeks will prove that he's a guy you want to keep around (not meaning long-term deal necessarily), but if he has more wrist problems (unlikely imo) this summer, then obviously you have to re-evaluate.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah but then what happens when people find out Iribarren was terrible except for one month last year too?

Again Hardy isn't in the long term plans given the silence about his contract and is only under control until 2010, Weeks until 2011. No reason to believe Hardy will give up the money that a position switch would entail. Weeks won't be replaced by Hardy.

Archived